Thememaker's Toolkit Example Scenes!

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier
Greetings Coaster friends!

We are happy to confirm that the Thememaker's Toolkit Example Scenes are now available on our User Guide!

If you need some extra insight into how to make the most of your Thememaker's Toolkit ideas, these will come in very handy!

You can access the examples here!

- Chanté [heart]

Important license agreement to read over too [happy]

It looks the same as the license agreement that's been up on the Example Scenes page since the Toolkit was released -- any changes? But it's especially nice that (IIUC) we can use what's in the example scenes as part of our own creations if these are only used in Planet Coaster -- doesn't seem to have any sort of "credit-us" requirement (unless I missed it? I don't speak legalese), but I'd likely do that out of habit. [up]

Last edited:
About time ;-)

Now I can see what I did wrong on my stuff, as I'm sure I did as Blender has a learning curve that's a bit hard on someone who worked in Gmax years ago...

In the Mermaid example scene, Blender, the textures are broken because the files are in another folder.

To fix this you can copy the content of the Texture folder (but not the folder itself) and paste it into the Source folder.

(advanced: you can go into Node editor and re-point the files to the new location)

Other than that, it is fun to see the texture files! It is big difference to many of tmt texture files including myself!

Not scared of uploading large texture files.
But foremost: Actual content in many different ways! Roughness with actual map, Ambient occlusion! All with actual content. :)

Many just make a flat flood-fill texture file! ha! Some do not even use normal map at all.

so these files are good examples.

Again also good way to maybe "shut up" to people who whine about large file sizes? Showing that this is how Frontier do. The download size. Silly people comparing TMT files with blueprint files, how crazy is that? [haha]

. . . Again also good way to maybe "shut up" to people who whine about large file sizes? Showing that this is how Frontier do. The download size. Silly people comparing TMT files with blueprint files, how crazy is that? [haha]

Not sure these are exactly the same -- we know that Frontier's in-game files use texture atlases with several different objects' uv-mapping to the same spot on the textures (the whited-texture bug showed that, aside from it being a standard resource-saving practice in game-design), but these have been remapped to individual maps (understandably, since otherwise they'd be handing us these huge textures with only a small part belonging to the object, and that the Toolkit couldn't use). Effort was put into making these files relevant and useful to Toolkitters.

KpiAZys.jpg

Again also good way to maybe "shut up" to people who whine about large file sizes? Showing that this is how Frontier do. The download size. Silly people comparing TMT files with blueprint files, how crazy is that? [haha]

The happy thing is, now we know for sure. It was a bit frustrating just guessing as to what was appropriate for our builds, both on textures and on poly counts. Believe me, I'm glad to see we don't have to be quite so strict about file sizes on our textures, too! There's a ton of useful information in these example files.

Exactly, SarrahW! Also, I think it is more important with the triangle count than texel rate. Even if in the end of course it is important to use proper texel rate, so if you make a 10x10x10 cm large object it is better to not be wasteful. haha.

But I think there's more problem with people trying to shove in too high triangle/poly on small objects.

But with that said, it is normal, we are amateurs and we do things by trial and error.

And KickAir8p, yes they sure can do more things than what we can do. We still can do many things though. But share same texture between many separate TMT objects, no we can't do that, alas.

Thanks! Hopefully, I can unlearn my bad behavior and model according to your samples in the future. I don't want to be the cause of someone's park always crashing because I made something that was developed incorrectly. [wacky]

I have tried to use the Pirat as a reverence for scaling , but there is something, that I don't understand with this example scenery piece.

The Thememaker's Toolkit Guide just allow us objects with a maximum triangle count of 8000 triangles.

yZSO375.jpg

But the example piece of the Pirat has 13803 triangles.

SDwNUL2.jpg

How can we import him into the game with the restictions of 8000 triangles?

Yep, Blender is counting all of the triangles of the whole scene. If you go into Edit Mode on any of the pirate figures, you'll see just the triangles for that one LOD. (In the pirate's case, since his body and the spyglass are two separate pieces, you'd combine the count on the pirate's L0 and the spyglass' L0)

Writing to confirm Stuk71 and SarrahW saying.

click on LOD_0 and press tab, to go into edit mode.
Push A until your object is all orange and see the count. That's the count for the single object.

And of course what SarrahW said about 2 different objects. :)

I wish we could set blender to show the selected object's count as well without having to go edit mode and select.

Hey I would even prefer to replace it with selected instead for everything! so if I want it to show everything I would just go select all, right?

I agree, I wish it showed the counts for what you had selected rather than everything! You can get individual counts by LOD if you put the objects on different layers. It only shows the tri counts for the current layer you're viewing. I'm usually too lazy to do that, though. [big grin]

Hayo Sarrah, Helena and Stuk. [heart] Thank you very much [heart] for the explanation. One could have thought of it if I had looked at the figure more closely ... I have deleted all not needed LOD's and the glass from the scene and save the pirate alone as Scale Reference and now he has only 4571 triangles.

v1ikhxu.jpg

Top Bottom