IMPORTANT: Thememaker's Toolkit Release Date

Chante Goodman

Community Manager
Frontier
823e1b70-a40f-4711-b6d8-23debc0b746f.jpg
Hello coaster friends!

We have some awesome news for you today! A short while ago we announced the launch of the Thememaker's Toolkit, a new pipeline system for turning your 3D creations into Planet Coaster files! We know you've been eagerly awaiting more information on this update and we are excited to reveal that the Thememaker's Toolkit will be launching on:

20 November 2018!

The Thememaker's Toolkit is a free update and will allow you to upload 3D files created in 3D modelling programs (we currently support Maya, Blender and 3D Studio) and convert them into small bespoke items that can be used as scenery pieces in Planet Coaster. These can be later downloaded and placed in your Planet Coaster theme parks, or used as building blocks to make even more amazing piece-by-piece creations. You'll also be able to share all of your bespoke creations with the community for everyone to enjoy via the Steam workshop.

You can learn more about the Toolkit here with our Developer Guide - this guide will be continuously updated with improvements and information about the Toolkit. We've also updated the FAQ here, so please have a read there and if you have any more questions, let us know in the comments below.

As you may have already guessed based on the November streaming schedule, we will be doing a Thememaker's Toolkit deep dive livestream on 21 November at 7PM UTC on www.youtube.com/planetcoaster/live. Community Manager Chanté will talk to developers Joe Maddex and Sam Denney who will be walking you through the workings of the Toolkit and answer as many questions as they can.
Hope to see you there!

- Chanté [yesnod][heart]

Joël

Volunteer Moderator
Regarding the Developer Guide, page 23 of the PDF document;

Example Scenes

We have provided a variety of scenes for each main supported 3D platforms
demonstrating the correct setups for successfully exporting assets.
These can be be downloaded from here: < LINK >

The link is missing. Maybe that link is not supposed to be public yet, but I guess Frontier will want to add a link to the Developer Guide at some point before or at the release of Thememaker's Toolkit :)

Nice! Based on what I've read in the Guide it's pretty much exactly as I expected, aside from the (understandable) minimum and maximum size limitations.

Too bad that I can't add the Pagode in the game then [sad] Actually, it also means we can't make entire buildings in one piece, unless they are smaller than 8x8x8 meters. Maybe we can find a solution for that (like cutting the building up into smaller but still optimized pieces).

Positively surprised that there is actually some support for LOD models. Also surprising, but in a not so positive way, is the fact that they not only acknowledge the scaling problem this is plaguing the game, they even confirm that the Toolkit isn't going to be of any help in this regard. Ah well.

The 8x8x8 limitation is too bad [sad] Won't be able to import a big spaceship like the millenium falcon...
But it's still a great addition to the game !

So glad to hear Blender is officially supported! I've been going through tutorials and enjoying the program greatly. Definitely going to dive right into that Authoring Guide this afternoon. One quick note, the FAQ still says "When the feature launches, we are expecting to support .fbx created in Autodesk Maya, but we are looking at other packages like Autodesk 3DS Max and Blender as well." - So if 3DS Max and Blender are now officially supported, that needs a quick update.

This is going to be an amazing feature, can't wait to play with it and see how it develops (and what people will be making)!

Positively surprised that there is actually some support for LOD models. Also surprising, but in a not so positive way, is the fact that they not only acknowledge the scaling problem this is plaguing the game, they even confirm that the Toolkit isn't going to be of any help in this regard. Ah well.
[my opinion throughout]

Frustrating, yes. No single life-size apple without a big (if buryable) base. But we get flexi-color,YAY! _ Really looking forward to this -- so is my extremely patient cow (I'm a very slow modeler).

Edited to add: going over the Authoring Guide, so far this seems extremely well-written -- descriptive graphics, good balance between detail and concise, easily searchable (the only question I wasn't able to answer with my first search was quad-count [because they use tri-count] ) -- many thanks to the authors, much appreciated!

Last edited:
Excellent news. Can’t wait to see what people will create. I think this will completely revolutionise the game for some.

Top Bottom