Theory: Genome Tweaking, Hybrids, and the Indominus Rex

With the hinting at genome modification in the press conference, I could see a couple of interesting gameplay elements that arise.

-During the recent stage event they hinted that the dinosaur genomes could not only be expanded, but tweaked to effect behaviours. I'm wondering about the this could be used to effect the game. Could it be used to make a safer park, or more aggressive animals to raise your security score? Perhaps you could make aesthetic changes such as new colors or feathers.

-Since they've already hinted that genetics are going to be more flexible than in Operation Genesis, and with the film already hinting at it, there's a good chance we'll get the opportunity to create hybrid animals. I'd be interested to see how far this will be taken. Obviously this would include things like Stegoceratops and Indominus Rex that are made by science, but I'm hoping there's also the possibility of natural hybrids similar to ligers or mules. Like say, if you put a Styracosaurus and a Triceratops in the same encloser, could they elope?

-Finally with the likely addition if genetic tampering, I think there's a decent chance that the Indominus Rex will make an appearance as an endgame challenge. Something that would challenge every aspect of play: a scary looking, bigger than Rex carnivore to entertain the guests, an intelligent, hyper aggressive super predator to test your security, and a hybrid requiring genetic knowledge of multiple species of dinosaur. Finding a way to contain this beast and maybe make it docile enough to contain would be an incredible challenge and a cool way to integrate the new "villain" into the game.

So what do guys think?

-During the recent stage event they hinted that the dinosaur genomes could not only be expanded, but tweaked to effect behaviours. I'm wondering about the this could be used to effect the game. Could it be used to make a safer park, or more aggressive animals to raise your security score? Perhaps you could make aesthetic changes such as new colors or feathers.
From what I've heard in various different interviews, it sounds like everything you mentioned might be possible in theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fN5I8_iafA Around 18:15 in the video.

-Since they've already hinted that genetics are going to be more flexible than in Operation Genesis, and with the film already hinting at it, there's a good chance we'll get the opportunity to create hybrid animals. I'd be interested to see how far this will be taken. Obviously this would include things like Stegoceratops and Indominus Rex that are made by science, but I'm hoping there's also the possibility of natural hybrids similar to ligers or mules. Like say, if you put a Styracosaurus and a Triceratops in the same encloser, could they elope?
Doesn't sound like any extreme hybrids are going to be possible. Refer to the same posted video above, around the same time.

-Finally with the likely addition if genetic tampering, I think there's a decent chance that the Indominus Rex will make an appearance as an endgame challenge. Something that would challenge every aspect of play: a scary looking, bigger than Rex carnivore to entertain the guests, an intelligent, hyper aggressive super predator to test your security, and a hybrid requiring genetic knowledge of multiple species of dinosaur. Finding a way to contain this beast and maybe make it docile enough to contain would be an incredible challenge and a cool way to integrate the new "villain" into the game.
I would be shocked if the Indominous Rex didn't make its way into the game in one form or capacity as some kind of "end-game" super predator. I wouldn't be surprised if it involved fully leveling the security tree of the game.

I can't wait to mess around with the genomes of my dinos lol, I wonder how the settings and layout will be for the genetic tampering.

Last edited:
I like the idea of being able to change the behavior of Dinosaurs. This was discussed by Wu with Hammond in the novel. It's an interesting idea. Make a slower less aggressive Dinosaur. I watched an interview done with one of the members of the dev team and he told TheGamingBeaver that it wouldn't be possible for players to genetically create Dino hybrids. The only Hybrids we will get are the one that already existed in the JW movies. So Indominus Rex and the Indo Raptor are most definitely going to be in the game. Since they are the selling points of the movies there is no way they would leave them out of the game.

As far as genetic tampering goes I heard in the interview that we will be able to change the appearance. Like the color and so on. Which sounds interesting to me. I suspect that's why that one Dino in the IGN video had a frill. I don't know how far it will go though. I do know the only hybrids we will be creating is ones that already exist.

In the announcement trailer there was a large gray Trex and in one of the later trailers there was a slimmer looking greenish Trex. I wonder if we will be able to adjust size along with color and behavior. This would add to the diversity of the dinosaurs and make them more personalized. Something JPOG didn't do.

With the hinting at genome modification in the press conference, I could see a couple of interesting gameplay elements that arise.

So what do guys think?

I honestly think it's just going to be new colours and minor behavioural changes.

And natural hybrids really wouldn't be possible, considering the lack of natural breeding in this game. Also the example you used is.. No. Ligers and Mules are hybrids between species that belong to the same genus, Styracosaurus and Triceratops don't even belong to the same subfamilies (Triceratops is a Chasmosaur, Styracosaurus is a Centrosaur

-If they do Hybrids, which I'm sure they will, I hope they stick to the hybrids in the movies: Indoraptor, Indominus Rex, and Stegoceratops (even though it only appeared in other merchandise). If Frontier includes their own hybrids, I hope they don't make the designs look too exaggerated or silly, like in the Ludia games. I also wonder how you acquire the hybrids. Get source material DNA from other dinosaurs? Researching hybrids?

-Since this is JP/JW, I don't think we will see any feathers, perhaps maybe some quills and small proto-feathers

- Side Note: I was watching some JW clips on youtube when I saw something interesting. In the laboratory scene where Hoskins is killed, there are two unidentified hybrids seen on the computer screen along with the Stegoceratops and Indominus Rex. Theres what looks like a Pachycephalosaur/Tyrannosaur hyrid and some kind of Therizinosaurus hybrid. I'll provide the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cow-i1ypu10
Pachycephalosaurus hybrid at 0:28
Therizinosaurus Hybrid seen briefly at 1:08
In my opinion, it'll be pretty cool if Frontier included these hybrids and gave them some personality (a name, abilities, unique behaviors).

So to recap, that's five hybrids: the I-Rex, Indoraptor, Stegoceratops, Pachy hybrid, and Therizinosaur hybrid.

Last edited:
I really hope we'll be able to modify the dinosaurs sizes, such as one triceratops is bigger than another and I hope we'll be able to determine how large a triceratops horns are along with the color and behavioral traits

Top Bottom