There is an Illness in the Game

You won't hear it on Galnet, you won't get more than a hint of it on YouTube, but yet there it is. Much like the flu outbreak in this country, it is there; unable to compete with such headlines as "Thargoid pays hush money to ****star", but lethal in it's own right nonetheless. We are all aware of it peripherally. Of late all have been witness to the Smeaton Sniffles, the Rhea Runs were certainly memorable, and Who can forget the Quince Incontinence? All receive treatment, in one ham-fisted way or another, but they are symptoms only of a deeper malaise: "It's The Economy Stupid!"

"Are you there God? It's me...."

CMDRs new and old cast their prayers and hopes upon the dais of reddit every day; seeking guidance and salvation, only to see their voices lost, echoing unanswered in the Dark above. Some brave souls make the pilgrimage here: The Frontier Forums Holy Land; scribbling out their frustration and suffering upon this wall, hoping against hope for a glimpse of the divine, a taste of something Beyond the grind, an answer to their questions... leaving more often than not with only the taste of dust and vitriol. Only the few and anointed are granted an audience with the Developer, and the cares and toils of the working CMDR are oft times beneath their view.

A New Deal

A more corporeal sort, and regardless of your feelings about the man, certainly no saint; FDR, was considered by many as a traitor to his class. French nobility, had any survived, might suggest that he had in fact saved the ultra rich from a particularly grisly fate. He recognized that the masses were consumed by space madness and something must be done.

"Jobs! Jobs! Jobs!"

While certainly no economist, I have witnessed elements of this Dark Art. As an example: I bought what is certainly a knock off Elite pendant from China (this is a reflection of my means rather than desire to support FDEV, I paint job up any occasion I can squeeze some blood from stones) for $3. It took 6 weeks to get here. This possibly radioactive pot metal trinket would reasonably fetch $12-25 in a retailer. A mark-up of several hundred percent is hardly uncommon. Items more complex than Clothing, somewhat less, but not by much. Quite realistic, there is, after all, an entire supply chain to be considered. And that is from China, a trifling distance in the free-est of Sidewinder. If the margin isn't there, neither will the product.

Capitalism.

Witness station markets. They have nothing and need everything. The simplest implementation: if they don't make it there, it should sell for several times as much. A fractionally more complex metric would be based on point of origin adding some additional but not overwhelming multiplier. This is done already with "rares" currently, albeit with such a laughable multiplier it, like all commerce at the moment is not worth doing. Famine State? War? Double or Triple even that. Why? Because that's how it is!

A Fix?

Not really, but it will actually accomplish something aside from ing CMDRs off and compelling them to give up what is supposed to be a Game. In one fell swoop, Mining, Piracy, Trade, Smuggling ALL become Viable in game paths of pursuit, game elements to be enjoyed. The Rich will become richer. This is damned near an absolute, so why should that not be the case in 3304? The passenger mission metric for distance can be restored, albeit at lower rates. The way that was done was absolutely Moronic and about the most poorly thought out hack I've witnessed in a game (and EA has set that bar, oh so low). "Hello? Yes, I'd like a Taxi please to the Galactic core. ..... Yes, 5 people. Oh, and I'm only going to pay $20. <bzzzz> Hello?" Moronic. Did I say that? Moronic.

The Time is Now!

FDEV is already in a Beta, which includes payout tinkering. FDEV has already demonstrated a willingness, dare I say eagerness, to inflict sudden changes upon the Economy with little regard to consequence, so how about a positive one. The masses are restless; pitchforks polished and poised above the DELETE button. The real question: IS ANYONE LISTENING IN THERE?

Thanks to all CMDRS for your time. Somebody needs to.

PS. This is not a whine for entitlement, in game I consider myself lower middle class, I make my way, more or less.
Consider this an OP E.D.

I really want to agree with the notion that the economy is beyond nonexistent, but....what were you taking when you wrote OP? ;)

Not sure ED is a game! a game has an end—- been playing Mass Effect Andromeda for past few months and come to the conclusion that ED joined with MEA would be the perfect “ Space” game ED for space action and MEA for Planet action

I thought I should note the items such as "It's the Economy Stupid; Jobs Jobs Jobs" are all buzz phrases from American politics that I debated at length not including but I couldn't get them out of my head once they had presented themselves. I would love to make a living in the game trading, without it being my full time job.
Thank you Ineffectual Gamer for the airtime. Perhaps YouTube will autoplay it onto someone's desk at FDEV.

"Jobs! Jobs! Jobs!"

While certainly no economist, I have witnessed elements of this Dark Art. As an example: I bought what is certainly a knock off Elite pendant from China (this is a reflection of my means rather than desire to support FDEV, I paint job up any occasion I can squeeze some blood from stones) for $3. It took 6 weeks to get here. This possibly radioactive pot metal trinket would reasonably fetch $12-25 in a retailer. A mark-up of several hundred percent is hardly uncommon. Items more complex than Clothing, somewhat less, but not by much. Quite realistic, there is, after all, an entire supply chain to be considered. And that is from China, a trifling distance in the free-est of Sidewinder. If the margin isn't there, neither will the product.

Capitalism.

Witness station markets. They have nothing and need everything. The simplest implementation: if they don't make it there, it should sell for several times as much. A fractionally more complex metric would be based on point of origin adding some additional but not overwhelming multiplier. This is done already with "rares" currently, albeit with such a laughable multiplier it, like all commerce at the moment is not worth doing. Famine State? War? Double or Triple even that. Why? Because that's how it is!

A Fix?

Not really, but it will actually accomplish something aside from ing CMDRs off and compelling them to give up what is supposed to be a Game. In one fell swoop, Mining, Piracy, Trade, Smuggling ALL become Viable in game paths of pursuit, game elements to be enjoyed. The Rich will become richer. This is damned near an absolute, so why should that not be the case in 3304? The passenger mission metric for distance can be restored, albeit at lower rates. The way that was done was absolutely Moronic and about the most poorly thought out hack I've witnessed in a game (and EA has set that bar, oh so low). "Hello? Yes, I'd like a Taxi please to the Galactic core. ..... Yes, 5 people. Oh, and I'm only going to pay $20. <bzzzz> Hello?" Moronic. Did I say that? Moronic.

Some good points. Scarcity, things that are rare should be more valuable, especially if there's a high demand.

The poor also become richer as they improve their livelihoods by working and climbing the social/corporate ladder. Some lose it all as they spend it, give it away or make bad investments.

Last edited:
So, here we are. Again. Still.

Love Beyond. Lil twitch here and there but alot could have gone wrong and didn't. I ported to pc for it and I'm not a windows fan. Great work. Now Fix the economy.

A cash cow isn't worth the effort when normal missions/trade etc sustain cmdr needs. Clearly they don't.

The reward system is decently suited up to about chieftain level. After that, apparently fdev believes it is also.

You are wrong.

How many content providers need to say the economy is broken? I've had fdev quote a post in a response but yet ignored the economy questions. Q&A livestream? Oh, we'll skip that question. I'm an ungodly fanboy so even laying up fiberglass I'm watching.

Try a fix. Multitudes have been offered. You aren't shy with the nerf hammer so don't play shrinking violet now. Try.

Last edited:
Top Bottom