Modes PvP There's no Etiquette in Open. Period.

The title is more of a reminder than some new info, everyone should know this by now. But everyone should also be aware, that this goes for all and everything related to Open - including menu logging and player blocking. Everything that is not considered cheating (like e.g. combat logging) is allowed, no ifs, no buts. You do it just because.

So here's the idea. I'm currently in Colonia and doing some mini-core mining. In best gank bait tradition I'll name my Cobra Mk4 "Kiddy Blocker" from now on. This is an unarmed mining vessel with a laughable rebuy of 400k, meant as gank bait: All I would lose is a full load of LTDs and, say 2 hours worth of gametime at the very worst. This ship earns more than a hundred rebuy screens from one successful mining run. But - you only would do it never more than once as it would fast forward you into my kiddy block filter. And all that while cleaning up 'my' Colonia from the vermin and maybe I even meet a few friendly commanders, who knows. :giggle:

Ok, that's not exactly a new idea (IIRC the elephant butt guy did something similar) but should give gankers a little brain fodder. If there is anything at all that could be fed... 🥴
pro tip: instead of just blowing me up, you could ask me for a few LTDs at any time

Can I haz some LTDs?

Do we have a serious customer here?
Ok, I'll try to get away but once my shields are down we talk. The rest depends on your actions from then on and if you want to get blocked or not.
Your choice. :whistle:

Commander name is my forum name for this build. Good luck and don't forget: No Etikette! :)
And here's a promise: If you manage to get away with some of my LTDs without blowing my ship up, I don't put you on my block list. Deal?

Think twice! This way I could be a potential income for you and your starving children. Or this will simply end in a rather uneventful quick death of an unarmed slow ship. No honor, no skills required, no e-peens enlarged - and no etiquette misused. Just a stupid, unremarkable one-time operation and bye bye. 👋

Last edited:
Do we have a serious customer here?
Ok, I'll try to get away but once my shields are down we talk. The rest depends on your actions from then on and if you want to get blocked or not.
Your choice. :whistle:

Commander name is my forum name for this build. Good luck and don't forget: No Etikette! :)
And here's a promise: If you manage to get away with some of my LTDs without blowing my ship up, I don't put you on my block list. Deal?
Will you put me on your block list if I don't manage to get LTDs and don't blow you up?

I think you're kind of setting out some form of etiquette here... :)

I'm not setting out anything but of course feel free to make it what you want. :D
There are absolutely no moralical implied rules nor do I redefine any existing rules.
It's just playing by the rules, no more no less. But the way how we play these rules out is everyone's own responsibility, including its consequences.

I'm not setting out anything but of course feel free to make it what you want. :D
There are absolutely no moralical implied rules nor do I redefine any existing rules.
It's just playing by the rules, no more no less. But the way how we play these rules out is everyone's own responsibility, including its consequences.
You know we waited for you in Ratrai guesstimating your selling port, and just when we got bored and went to Colonia, you had to go there to hand in?
Grrrrrr ;)

?o YARR

You know we waited for you in Ratrai guesstimating your selling port, and just when we got bored and went to Colonia, you had to go there to hand in?
Grrrrrr ;)

?o YARR

Bad luck, but you had all time of the world. I even changed station (the outpost sells more). Now it's too late, sold about 52 Mio. worth of LTDs. Did you found out about this via Inara or other 3rd party tools? I'm only using ingame tools and only can (and want) monitor my own small trading bubble. So I would be very surprised if I actually found the best selling price in Colonia. Just yes or no pleace (no need to spoil my solo game, thanks... ;))

But next time I'll have to pay the bill, I'm pretty sure! :cool:

Bad luck, but you had all time of the world. I even changed station (the outpost sells more). Now it's too late, sold about 52 Mio. worth of LTDs. Did you found out about this via Inara or other 3rd party tools? I'm only using ingame tools and only can (and want) monitor my own small trading bubble. So I would be very surprised if I actually found the best selling price in Colonia. Just yes or no pleace (no need to spoil my solo game, thanks... ;))

But next time I'll have to pay the bill, I'm pretty sure! :cool:
We (@Paul Smith the 3rd ) and I looked at Benzaiten and Ratraii, Ratraii was giving the best Void Opal prices in the Colonia region today, so it was a good chance.
It also still had demand. Got the initial numbers from Inara. But those are not reliable, so won't spoil much. Just a hint.
We even considered dropping in the ring you were mining (only one ring in the system and I have you in my friendlist now :devilish:),
but that would've been the needle in the haystack.

Oh, and congrats on getting 52 million and doing that in open. Piracy is just for fun anyways, so I wouldn't bet on presenting you a bill soon :cool:

We (@Paul Smith the 3rd ) and I looked at Benzaiten and Ratraii, Ratraii was giving the best Void Opal prices in the Colonia region today, so it was a good chance.
It also still had demand. Got the initial numbers from Inara. But those are not reliable, so won't spoil much. Just a hint.
We even considered dropping in the ring you were mining (only one ring in the system and I have you in my friendlist now :devilish:),
but that would've been the needle in the haystack.

Oh, and congrats on getting 52 million and doing that in open. Piracy is just for fun anyways, so I wouldn't bet on presenting you a bill soon :cool:

You actually were there, right? I seem to have seen you in my mining system the very moment you left again, when I was looking for you on the GalMap. But that you can't find me anyway, even if knowing the system and got me on your friendlist, is pretty surprising to me. I thought it would be much easier in this case. Nevertheless, you'll be the only one for now that I accept friend requests from (I usually never do that, at least not without some talking before). I'm certainly not eager to become the punching ball for all existing gankers in Colonia! ;)

We were in the system to scan it and find a good strategy to rob you of 1t of diamonds.
We knew that you were in the system and from the system map could see the one icy ring, if we would have scanned the ring with some luck we would be able to deduce in which hotspot, but that still leaves a huge area to look through to find the needle in the haystack. The friendslist does not pinpoint someones location, only the system they are in.

My Eagle is still ready to go and maybe on another day we succeed. And I never engaged somebody from my friendslist if it wasn't mutual.

We were in the system to scan it and find a good strategy to rob you of 1t of diamonds.
We knew that you were in the system and from the system map could see the one icy ring, if we would have scanned the ring with some luck we would be able to deduce in which hotspot, but that still leaves a huge area to look through to find the needle in the haystack. The friendslist does not pinpoint someones location, only the system they are in.

My Eagle is still ready to go and maybe on another day we succeed. And I never engaged somebody from my friendslist if it wasn't mutual.

Ok then, I'm still surprised. About the 1t of diamonds... I certainly wouldn't care. :)
Despite my somewhat click-baity title, I have actually no clue about any etiquette or if such a thing exists in Open.
I always thought not, but some commanders apparently live by their own standards. Which is the other surprise...

Btw, [OT]
I just had a horrible internet hiccup (not just ED servers). Was this local, anyone else in Germany/ Europa with issues?

update:

I'll keep the current ship name "Fishure's Fake".
Kiddy Blocker sounds just too daft, but you get my drift...

Last edited:
What perturbs me the most is the fact that it's 99% impossible to evade getting interdicted by a player. I'm all for playing exclusively in open, and the fact that the galaxy of elite is dangerous, and the risks that are involved. I've been evading npc interdictions consistently, even in a type 9. But it doesn't matter what ship you fly, you will always lose, which at that point, if the player interdicting you just starts blasting without any notice, unless you can speed away, you're absolutely toast.

Again, i'm all for risks, but it definitely feels slanted away from my favor, as majority of players that interdict (in my experience) don't give a flying heck. They interdicted you because you have what they want and they want all of it. No bargaining, no agreements, just straight ganking. That's not piracy, that's just theft. I don't rant often but this is definitely something I think needs to be tweaked, to at least allow us some sort of ability to be given the chance to win an interdiction.

What perturbs me the most is the fact that it's 99% impossible to evade getting interdicted by a player. I'm all for playing exclusively in open, and the fact that the galaxy of elite is dangerous, and the risks that are involved. I've been evading npc interdictions consistently, even in a type 9. But it doesn't matter what ship you fly, you will always lose, which at that point, if the player interdicting you just starts blasting without any notice, unless you can speed away, you're absolutely toast.

Again, i'm all for risks, but it definitely feels slanted away from my favor, as majority of players that interdict (in my experience) don't give a flying heck. They interdicted you because you have what they want and they want all of it. No bargaining, no agreements, just straight ganking. That's not piracy, that's just theft. I don't rant often but this is definitely something I think needs to be tweaked, to at least allow us some sort of ability to be given the chance to win an interdiction.
You can win a player interdiction. The problem is that many who interdict you do practice it daily, they have 1000s of them under their belt.

You can win a player interdiction. The problem is that many who interdict you do practice it daily, they have 1000s of them under their belt.

To give also non-combat players a chance to get better at it without actually being forced to bother with combat, an interdiction training simulator could be useful, provided we could set it to almost indefinite difficult levels. And don't tell me apex players are invulnerable to computed mechanics. If such a simulator would be done right, it should be unbeatable on the highest level(s).

Top Bottom