There's no logical reason all ships can't have more utilities

Yes, I know, "gameplay reasons."

But if you really wanted to make things interesting, adding 2-4 more utilities to all ships would certainly be fun. Power constraints would still be a limiting factor, but the build flexibility would be liberating.

Yes it would be nice, but in all honesty, all that would happen is 99% of the Commanders would just throw on 2-4 more shield boosters, doubt there would be much change in anyone's build (apart from more powerful shields).
Need some kind of weapon that does no damage, but charges a ship's hull with electricity, when a certain threshold is reached, boosters start popping like corn kernels.

For a scifi game that is set in the future, Elite does lack some flavor in the ship building department. Every module is just an iteration of an already existing module, there is no real variety imho. Ships could be so much more interesting, especially with engineering. I wish they would have been more creative - "would have been" because I'm 99% sure there will be zero changes in this department. Ever.

But if you really wanted to make things interesting, adding 2-4 more utilities to all ships would certainly be fun. Power constraints would still be a limiting factor, but the build flexibility would be liberating.

It bothers me a lot that i wpuld have to sacrifice a lot of defense modules when i'd like to have a medium pirate ship.
Right now, as a pirate you need a lot of defense while robbing your target due to system security and the impossibility to disable your target fully. But you'll definitly want to have a manifest scanner and wake scanner.
On a Cutter i have 1x chaff, 1x heatsink, both scanners and 4x SB. But on a Python i would have to sacrifice way too much to make sense, let alone the small ships ¯\(ツ)

If ypu want to do anything more than just being safe, than you really run out of utilities fast :(

Yep, just swapping one resistance booster for a manifest scanner drops your defences so significantly it isn't even funny.

Slam a wake scanner on too and you're pretty much useless against a dedicated combat ship.

I'd just fix the whole situation by limiting the amount of slots that can fit a booster in the first place, forcing players to install something else into their ships.

It would make combat a lot more interesting, right now most people are playing the "shoot plasmas at each other till the shields crack" game.

99% of encounters that lead into ship destruction would also be avoidable by a simple jump, but people don't really do that because there's so few wake scanners in the galaxy that combat begins and ends in the same instance these days :)

Yeah I would just stack SBs.

I fail to see how this would add any interest however. Or fun.

Unless by fun you actually mean fdevs definition of fun, which is just to grind for more engineering mats to engineer my SBs.

But if you really wanted to make things interesting, adding 2-4 more utilities to all ships would certainly be fun.

How one deals with constraints is a critical aspect of gameplay.

Need some kind of weapon that does no damage, but charges a ship's hull with electricity, when a certain threshold is reached, boosters start popping like corn kernels.

We already had this in the form of the earlier incarnations of the "heat meta". It was interesting in that it disrupted a stale status quo, but it rapidly replaced the old status quo with a something that was ultimately just as boring...until they nerfed it into obscurity. They never got the balance right, and until they are willing to make all the changes required, they probably never will.

99% of encounters that lead into ship destruction would also be avoidable by a simple jump, but people don't really do that because there's so few wake scanners in the galaxy that combat begins and ends in the same instance these days :)

If people started seeing wake scanners being used, they'd quickly remember that wake scanners suck and there are ways to avoid being followed.

Simply turning off your thrusters right after a jump, dumping you into normal space before your cooldown is finished, and before any pursuer can follow, is a nearly guaranteed way to escape, even if your pursuers make no mistakes (e.g. they hit your wake with a G5 fast scanner the moment it forms and jump the moment the scan is done).

Only if you jump into the arms of someone waiting in SC at the destination, who is able to manually dive into a low wake in close proximity to a star in less than 40 seconds and to prevent the ship from high-waking again.

TLDR; game needs much better travel/instancing/pursuit mechanisms before current tools are useful against experienced pilots who aren't being reckless or lazy.

What bothers me MOST is the fact that every ship, irrespective of age or manufacturer, has the SAME HUD.

If you look at cars, they all have different dashboards.
Ships in Star Citizen ? Different huds.

E:D: same hud. It's almost as if there's only 1 hud manufacturer in the galaxy, and they have a galactic monopoly. You'd think that Gutamaya would have used a better and nicer hud than the one in a Federal assault ship...

What bothers me MOST is the fact that every ship, irrespective of age or manufacturer, has the SAME HUD.

If you look at cars, they all have different dashboards.
Ships in Star Citizen ? Different huds.

E:D: same hud. It's almost as if there's only 1 hud manufacturer in the galaxy, and they have a galactic monopoly. You'd think that Gutamaya would have used a better and nicer hud than the one in a Federal assault ship...
Something something pilot's federation something something standardized.

The 'solution' to SB stacking, has been suggested before - simply limit the number of SB (like AX, or with insane diminishing returns). 1 per small, 2 per medium, 3 per large.

The only thing I now want is a PROMISED solution for the limpet controller mess.
FDev promised to address this 2 years ago, if I remember correctly.

Lestat

Banned
I think you should sit down and think about an idea before posting that idea. I think M00ka nailed it on the head.

Yes it would be nice, but in all honesty, all that would happen is 99% of the Commanders would just throw on 2-4 more shield boosters, doubt there would be much change in anyone's build (apart from more powerful shields).
Yeah... funny really ain't it?
The way I see it is you wouldn't need shield boosters if the guns hadn't been too good and that is a design error, I believe the power creep will keep right on raising it's ugly head because FDev are stuck in a brainfade loop, as for not allowing things because of 'gameplay' that again is a design issue.
That pendulum will just keep swinging back and forth with bigger shields, better guns, better shield boosters, better booster guns... it's endless and it's a initial game design fault.

Yeah... funny really ain't it?
The way I see it is you wouldn't need shield boosters if the guns hadn't been too good and that is a design error, I believe the power creep will keep right on raising it's ugly head because FDev are stuck in a brainfade loop, as for not allowing things because of 'gameplay' that again is a design issue.
That pendulum will just keep swinging back and forth with bigger shields, better guns, better shield boosters, better booster guns... it's endless and it's a initial game design fault.

Don't forget, we as in the Community, are at least partly responsible for the situation as we keep hounding and pleading with FD for buffs to weapons - when was the last time you heard of a concerted plea to nerf a specific weapon?

If FD decided enough was enough and decreed that you could only have ONE HRP, ONE MRP and ONE SCB fitted to a ship, the majority of us would say 'Okay' and adjust our ships accordingly. All that would happen is the ceiling has been lowered. But you could bet your house on the fact that some elements of the PvP community would raise hell complaining about that, even if they fail to realise it would actually make their little niche of the game far more enjoyable.

Top Bottom