Things I like to see changed/adjusted/added

Love the game so far, really good job! But I've seen some things on the Gamescom streams I would like to see adjusted or changed. Not sure if it already is changed in current build and its just because alpha.

Changed/Adjusted
  • Animals breaking out, I'm not sure how often they break out but please no JPWE 2.0
  • Lions swimming, maybe I'm wrong and they do this a lot IRL but I've seen the lions swimming quite a bit. (Animals that should not swim, swimming too often)
  • Time going by too quick, I would like an option to adjust this. the days go by a little too fast in my opinion.
Added
  • More natural "toys" options. I liike to make it as natural as possible. I'm not really a big fan of the big colorful toys like the pumpkin or footbal.
  • Also would like animals like Ostriches to make nests and lay eggs.
  • Waterplants, to give the water a more life like feel.
Feel free to add things in the comments!

Last edited:
Guess getting annoyed finding the animals

Ok R3 for putting my idea here too?

I notice something else would like the guess to not crowd around an exhibit where the animals are not in sight. Would like them to actually try and find the animal. And if they search too long they get annoyed and walk away and if this happen too much they leave the zoo. :(

• Animals using specific plants for specific things
  • Animals using the terrain and plants for enrichment.
  • Animals required specific terrain rocks to be used.
  • Small animals climbing on the large plants.
  • Guess feeding the animal.
  • More things in the lake like fish.
  • Temperature has a big effect on the animal so they will go under the tree to cool off or in a big lake.
  • More behaviours put into each animal as the game grows!
  • I want wildlife in the zoo so wild animals and birds come to the area to find food.
  • Animals interacting with their food when eating so it does not look like they are eating nothing?

Last edited:
I found the "freezing" of animals before/after certain actions very notable.

Like when a lion walked to a scratch post to... scratch, but instead of a fluent transition from walking to it and scratching, he stopped ,aligned himself, stood idle for a second and then proceeded. I observed similar things when two ostrichs were done with their fight, the winner simply stood still, the loser ran 2 meters and did the same, then both of them simply stood idle while facing the same direction. After quite a while they finally moved together as if nothing did happen. I don't know how real ostrichs would have behaved in that situation but till now many animals i observed behaved unflexible in many situations.

At first this freezing before/after actions: I really wish they would shorten the timespan in wich animals attempt to interact with something, because as of now they often do this "stop and go" thing.

Another point ist that the ai seems to need quite a while in some instances to figure out what to do next (like with the ostrichs)

A possible addition would be a short term memory for animals to prevent unusual behavior after fights. They then would store the last memory with wich animal they had a conflict, so the loser would attempt to avoid the winner (and not start a new fight right after, especially with the winner) It was so annoying in JWE when carnivores were captured in a constant loop of fighting, recovering and then fighting right again without ever consider to avoid each other. I wouldn't like to see similar things in PZ.

Except Frontier already implemented this in PZ and it just didn't work when i was paying attention to the animals.

But of course i don't want to grumble all the time, i'm still impressed by all the little details that make them more life-like, and i guess that freezing thing will surely be adressed untill release.

I found the "freezing" of animals before/after certain actions very notable.

Like when a lion walked to a scratch post to... scratch, but instead of a fluent transition from walking to it and scratching, he stopped ,aligned himself, stood idle for a second and then proceeded. I observed similar things when two ostrichs were done with their fight, the winner simply stood still, the loser ran 2 meters and did the same, then both of them simply stood idle while facing the same direction. After quite a while they finally moved together as if nothing did happen. I don't know how real ostrichs would have behaved in that situation but till now many animals i observed behaved unflexible in many situations.

At first this freezing before/after actions: I really wish they would shorten the timespan in wich animals attempt to interact with something, because as of now they often do this "stop and go" thing.

Another point ist that the ai seems to need quite a while in some instances to figure out what to do next (like with the ostrichs)

A possible addition would be a short term memory for animals to prevent unusual behavior after fights. They then would store the last memory with wich animal they had a conflict, so the loser would attempt to avoid the winner (and not start a new fight right after, especially with the winner) It was so annoying in JWE when carnivores were captured in a constant loop of fighting, recovering and then fighting right again without ever consider to avoid each other. I wouldn't like to see similar things in PZ.

Except Frontier already implemented this in PZ and it just didn't work when i was paying attention to the animals.

But of course i don't want to grumble all the time, i'm still impressed by all the little details that make them more life-like, and i guess that freezing thing will surely be adressed untill release.

That slowdown where the animal stops didn't really bother me as much. Now, I get annoyed at stuff like that, if your controlling the said animal or person. Sort of like when I play the sims 4, my sim stops at the fridge, waits a few seconds, and then makes their dinner. Its extremely annoying and jarring when your on a time schedule.

I think you have good ideas! And yes,
lions typically do not swim, sure there
Is individuals who might like it, but as a species they generally like to avoid water unless absolutely necessary. There are lions in Africa who do live in more swampy areas, and have to go into water, but they aren’t one of the water loving big cats (like tigers or jaguars are) west African lions don’t do a lot of swimming and generally avoid it :) so it would make sense if they didn’t swim much in Planet zoo, maybe you’ll occasionally the rare one who will, but I agree, lions should generally not jump into water often!

Last edited:
Love the game so far, really good job! But I've seen some things on the Gamescom streams I would like to see adjusted or changed. Not sure if it already is changed in current build and its just because alpha.

Changed/Adjusted
  • Animals breaking out, I'm not sure how often they break out but please no JPWE 2.0
  • Lions swimming, maybe I'm wrong and they do this a lot IRL but I've seen the lions swimming quite a bit. (Animals that should not swim, swimming too often)
  • Time going by too quick, I would like an option to adjust this. the days go by a little too fast in my opinion.
Added
  • More natural "toys" options. I liike to make it as natural as possible. I'm not really a big fan of the big colorful toys like the pumpkin or footbal.
  • Also would like animals like Ostriches to make nests and lay eggs.
  • Waterplants, to give the water a more life like feel.
Feel free to add things in the comments!

Lions are not tigers, or jaguars, who love water. Lions will swim to cross a stream, but in general they are not fans of swimming. Not at all.
In a zoo Lions should not be in the water regularly. That would look very unnatural. Like I said tigers and especially jaguars love water.

Zoos actually use water to stop lions from going to certain areas, like using moats to keep them away from the fence. I found that a little strange as well.
I'm sure many can remember...
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-paaV7EWpE

I would really like to see a lot more natural feeder/enrichment items too, or at least some way to integrate them into a more natural setting. I feel if you tried to organise some enrichment items to work with the environment we would have some clipping/pathing issues. We've already seen some bugs where giraffes have tried to use the climbing frames for lemurs (not on purpose, but walking over them) and it's.... :LOL:

I have a feeling 'hiding' scratching posts in trees or something will create problems, but we'll see.

Top Bottom