Things in the game you've always wondered about

Mine is the queuing (cueing?) system. What is this? I keep being told to follow the queuing system, like it's one of those alternating freeway onramp lights, but I see nothing. I notice npc ships always seem to stop for a second before leaving the station. Is there something I'm not noticing? What's the thing in the game you don't get?

It's actually getting downright creepy now.
Whenever I leave Obsidian Orbital there's dozens of Belugas, Orcas and Hauler-taxis all just waiting outside like a picket-line.
It's like something out of Hitchcock's "The Birds".

qpFsVHq.png

Main thing that baffles me is the chat function.

I get the basics but when people start chatting to wings, direct and local, using the "/" options, it confuses the hell out of me.

Last edited:
It's actually getting downright creepy now.
Whenever I leave Obsidian Orbital there's dozens of Belugas, Orcas and Hauler-taxis all just waiting outside like a picket-line.
It's like something out of Hitchcock's "The Birds".

Main thing that baffles me is the chat function.

I get the basics but when people start chatting to wings, direct and local, using the "/" options, it confuses the hell out of me.

I think the Belugas were meant as some kind of mass exodus story as the Thargoids invaded, but it never went anywhere and the Dev just didn't bother cleaning up.

Oh I have a few :D

- Station controllers telling you to slow down, when they have full control over your ship via the Docking Computer

- NPC Pirates continually telling (pleading) to you to drop 2T of cargo AFTER they just abused you for not carrying any cargo

- NPC Pirates asking how you make a living if you don't haul cargo - guess what, I am a Bounty Hunter, I make my damn living killing stupid pirates (lol)

- In SC, seeing the warning SLOW DOWN pop up every time you get near a planet etc. Hey FD, if we had that astronomical body selected, we would slow down, if we were on a collision course with it, we would slow down or deviate around it. But why in heaven's name do you have to tell us to SLOW DOWN every damn time we go within scope range of something in space!

- The stupid, idiotic, meaningless 'hunt for the search area on a planet'. You just know it is going to relocate 5 times at set intervals as you fly closer with the last 'jump' nearly always behind you.

Not so much wondered about, but fascinated with the galaxy's population. Earth at present has a population of ~7.5 billion and growing. Technological and medical advances has helped our species live longer and healthier. With present day figures, we average approx 80 million new people per year, or about 1% of the world's population per year.

The estimated human population in the Elite Dangerous galaxy is about 6,617,138,343,697 (figure taken from EDDB). Assume the same 1% growth that present day Earth has and you have approximately 66 billion people born every year. However, the Elite Dangerous galaxy has further advanced on technological and medical breakthroughs. Indeed, you have people like Edmund Mahon who is 114 years old, but doesn't look a day over 45. So that 1% growth rate is rather small given that humans enjoy longer lifespans and have more time to procreate. Nevertheless, I'll stick with that figure. Now my opinion is that Earth is fairly overpopulated, but I'll round some numbers and simply say that 10 billion is an average maximum per Earth sized world. Therefore, Elite Dangerous, and by extension it commanders (ie: us), need to find a minimum of 7 earth like planets per year to keep up with population demands. While that's not a challenging feat in this game, to think that every year our species must occupy another 7 Earth like planets is mind boggling. Assuming we ever get off this rock in one piece, one day such a thing will be reality.

Last edited:
- In SC, seeing the warning SLOW DOWN pop up every time you get near a planet etc. Hey FD, if we had that astronomical body selected, we would slow down, if we were on a collision course with it, we would slow down or deviate around it. But why in heaven's name do you have to tell us to SLOW DOWN every damn time we go within scope range of something in space!

I don't think its telling you to slow down.

I think its telling you that you are slowing down because you are in a gravity well. [smile]

- The stupid, idiotic, meaningless 'hunt for the search area on a planet'. You just know it is going to relocate 5 times at set intervals as you fly closer with the last 'jump' nearly always behind you.

At least 5. Usually 6 or 7.

Then there are the zillions of rocks. On every planet. You'd think that somewhere in the verse, there would be at least one planet with a relatively clean surface, instead of the monster truck obstacle course (in beige, naturally) that seems to be the bane of any SRV's existence.

Power Play NPCs that act like pirates. Odd how system authorities and stations can react to your affiliation and reputation with a given faction, but the PP NPC ships from the power you're allied with have absolutely no idea you're on the same team, and will chase you down so they can scan you, then whine about how you're a waste of their time.

Stations admonishing you to give way to larger traffic when you're in a Cutter, etc.., while Sidewinders race into the slot and bounce off your hull when you're halfway through. Then telling you that reckless behavior won't be tolerated. :S

Getting a message that you're over an unsuitable landing spot, when you're hovering over a clean, flat surface. But then getting a blue 'great spot here!' message that turns out to be the the sloped inside wall of a crater...

Not so much wondered about, but fascinated with the galaxy's population. Earth at present has a population of ~7.5 billion and growing. Technological and medical advances has helped our species live longer and healthier. With present day figures, we average approx 80 million new people per year, or about 1% of the world's population per year.

The estimated human population in the Elite Dangerous galaxy is about 6,617,138,343,697 (figure taken from EDDB). Assume the same 1% growth that present day Earth has and you have approximately 66 billion people born every year. However, the Elite Dangerous galaxy has further advanced on technological and medical breakthroughs. Indeed, you have people like Edmund Mahon who is 114 years old, but doesn't look a day over 45. So that 1% growth rate is rather small given that humans enjoy longer lifespans and have more time to procreate. Nevertheless, I'll stick with that figure. Now my opinion is that Earth is fairly overpopulated, but I'll round some numbers and simply say that 10 billion is an average maximum per Earth sized world. Therefore, Elite Dangerous, and by extension it commanders (ie: us), need to find a minimum of 7 earth like planets per year to keep up with population demands. While that's not a challenging feat in this game, to think that every year our species must occupy another 7 Earth like planets is mind boggling. Assuming we ever get off this rock in one piece, one day such a thing will be reality.

Interesting point, but rather mathematic approach. That assumes unlimited resources and perfect flow of goods and services. However once a planet is overpopulated expect hunger, famine, disease, outright killing each other and birth control.

I don't know if this is true but I'm sure I read that the more advanced a civilisation brcomes the birth rate starts to drop. More interesting things to do than sex or playing 24/7 in a virtual world?

Cheers,
Mark

Deleted member 38366

D
Commodities : Moissanite , Taaffeite , Jadeite

Description says : Obtainable via Planetary Mining only

But... there is no Planetary Mining Players could do. One can only loot them in minimal quantities, IF one manages to find a POI containing them.
Still, i.e. Tourist Economies have huge Demand and good prices for those items - but that's something no Player could ever fulfill.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this is true but I'm sure I read that the more advanced a civilisation brcomes the birth rate starts to drop. More interesting things to do than sex or playing 24/7 in a virtual world?

Cheers,
Mark

Correct.
Japan is below replacement population rate right now for example.

See also, The Fantastic Planet.

:)

- Station controllers telling you to slow down, when they have full control over your ship via the Docking Computer

The docking computer is on *your* ship. It's not controlled by traffic control.

The 'Slow Down' isn't telling you to slow down; it's telling you that you are being SLOWED DOWN by a gravity well.

Correct.

That or the cost of living in 'civilised' lands is prohibitively high and people can't afford more kids...

Mine is the queuing (cueing?) system. What is this? I keep being told to follow the queuing system, like it's one of those alternating freeway onramp lights, but I see nothing. I notice npc ships always seem to stop for a second before leaving the station. Is there something I'm not noticing? What's the thing in the game you don't get?

I've wondered the same thing. What queing system? The queing system that tells NPCs to cut me off? Side note....I like when they tell you the way is clear and 2 secs later a Type-9 followed by a Beluga roll in. Thank you control. You're doing a good job. :D

Thing i always wondered about?

• Im in a T9 and the station anouncer tells me to "make way for bigger vessels" and there is no other large ship to be seen.
  • Mission officer gives me a mission to check out one of their surface settlements, because they lost contact. but he can't even tell me on which planet it is.

Commodities : Moissanite , Taaffeite , Jadeite

Description says : Obtainable via Planetary Mining only

But... there is no Planetary Mining Players could do. One can only loot them in minimal quantities, IF one manages to find a POI containing them.
Still, i.e. Tourist Economies have huge Demand and good prices for those items - but that's something no Player could ever fulfill.

i think it means you can get them only on surface ports with extraction economy

Correct.

See also, The Fantastic Planet.

:)
Japan has an issue with their male otaku population prefer their 2D waifu over 3D ones. VR tools are the very threat to Japans population ;)

Top Bottom