Thinking about coming back, how is performance?

I was very into the game on launch, made loads of cool things, posted a lot on here and Discord but then the game performance killed the game for me. I always wanted to manage large zoos but it became pretty clear that you couldnt really build much over 8000 guests (approx 30% of the map) before the game became pretty much unplayable. I understand some optimisation has been done but are LARGE zoos now viable?

Yeah, it's still just as bad as it always was. The one minor improvement I noticed was after I updated all my drivers, which doesn't have anything to do with the game itself or whatever updates where released for it, those did exactly nothing performance wise from my end.

It's also one of the main reasons why I stopped playing, too. I have some great ideas in my head but then I remember I won't even be able to build half of it before the zoo becomes unplayable and I end up loosing whatever motivation I had and don't open the game at all.

I understand some optimisation has been done but are LARGE zoos now viable?
Nope... I have a pc with gpu on recommended, and cpu 30% higher then recommended, and if i download a (half map sized) large zoo, the game runs at 3 fps or so.... :confused::cautious:

Dont know how you can say that the recommended specs are enough to ' build the zoo of your dreams' if it is simply NOT possible (because you just can not play a game with less then 5 fps and seconds waiting to open a tab).

The recommended specs should be the minimum specs

Last edited:
Welcome to 10 FPS paused and maybe 6 playing...

Attachments

• fps.JPG
    fps.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 276
I reduced the game difficulty from medium to easy after my latest franchise zoo got big enough to reach performance issues. This allowed me to reduce the guest numbers by more than half while still making a healthy (but much smaller ) profit. But money stopped being a constraint long ago at this point anyways. The zoo looks much better too, because the paths are less congested and I can replace the one sided mirrors with better looking barries

Depends on a whole lot of factors... How good is your computer? Is everything super-highly detailed? How many guests do you allow? How spread out are they on paths? How big are your enclosures? (i.e., are you making an inner city zoo or an animal sanctuary?). In practice, limiting guest numbers has no important effect on income in either normal or easy difficulty (i haven't tried hard yet) since money ceases to be an problem loooooooooong before framerate becomes an issue.

If you're building a highly detailed zoo with heaps of animals in every enclosure, lots of guests traveling on congested paths and unlimited guest numbers then, yes,any computer will struggle.

No it doesn't... You may get like 5 extra, but you also reduces your income a lot... So that is almost no option
May I suggest to take a look into the screenshot there, before calling the worlds end.
First, the more than 9000 guest is far beyond anything which this game could handle reasonable, even on the fastest machine. Reducing them (4000-5000) should help a lot.
Second, this zoo is financial very healthy....it could easily work with less guests.

May I suggest to take a look into the screenshot there, before calling the worlds end.
First, the more than 9000 guest is far beyond anything which this game could handle reasonable, even on the fastest machine. Reducing them (4000-5000) should help a lot.
Second, this zoo is financial very healthy....it could easily work with less guests.

I've found limiting claimable areas work far better on the GPU then limiting guests. Since I have two challenges directly linked to guests, limiting goes against what the game pushes you to do.

im not talking about specificly 9000 guests.. it also applies to reducing to 2000 guests .

This is still my biggest issue; really it is my only issue. Adore the game and it would be solidly in my all time top ten if I could manage to build a zoo I envisioned on announcement.

Even with a computer well above recommendations, if I allow 4000 guests into a decent sized zoo(15-25% of the map) I get 14-20FPS. I just have 5 zoos with 12-15 habitats because it’s all the game can handle and be okay.

I tried making the zoo I envisioned...managed to have every animal in the game,7500 guests, and take up 70% of the map. I wanted to save the rest for Australia,North America/cold weather, and Tropical SA. Tried going back to it with the Arctic animals...FPS when paused and building is 6. I get that it’s large, but they gave us an enormous map and allowed us to use 20% of it successfully. I don’t view most of my zoos as zoos. They seem more like personal collections of animals. I wouldn’t pay for a zoo with less than 20 species.

I tried making the zoo I envisioned...managed to have every animal in the game,7500 guests, and take up 70% of the map. I wanted to save the rest for Australia,North America/cold weather, and Tropical SA. Tried going back to it with the Arctic animals...FPS when paused and building is 6. I get that it’s large, but they gave us an enormous map and allowed us to use 20% of it successfully. I don’t view most of my zoos as zoos. They seem more like personal collections of animals. I wouldn’t pay for a zoo with less than 20 species.

Which is why I won't be purchasing anymore DLC's, sad really I left areas open for them.

Same here, i played a lot but did not touch the game for a while. I love the szenario a lot and would love more on that front haha

Top Bottom