Newcomer / Intro this is propably the wrong place to ask this, but

It's entirely the correct place to ask this kind of question. As meta stated, the answer is "no".

Part of the problem is, you don't discover "systems" - you discover stars and planets within those systems. ED does, of course, have a database of which planet in each system has been explored, but it's sorted by system, not by CMDR, because the game doesn't need to know a list of all the planets a CMDR has explored, only who discovered what when it loads the system map. That way, the game only needs to make one database interrogation to load everything it needs on the system map. It would need to interrogate the entire database, to generate your personal list of First Discoveries throughout the Galaxy.

The third party apps can't help either, because they rely on information that gets added to the journals, and specific information about each First Discovered planet doesn't go into the journals. They have to rely on the perspective of the third party, which may not be accurate as no third party has full knowledge of everything that's going on in the game.

Example: Suppose EDSM tells me I was the first to discover the Suchnsuch system. EDSM says that I was the first visitor, but it turns out I wasn't; I was the first EDSM-user to visit there, but someone else, a non-EDSM user (or a player who played long before EDSM was invented) went there first and claimed the Tag. Or maybe I visited there and then died, so lost the data, so someone else coming past later, didn't die, and claimed the Tag.

The only way to keep track of this sort of thing is to make notes yourself - take screenshots, make a spreadsheet, or good ol' pen and paper.

Example: Suppose EDSM tells me I was the first to discover the Suchnsuch system. EDSM says that I was the first visitor, but it turns out I wasn't; I was the first EDSM-user to visit there, but someone else, a non-EDSM user (or a player who played long before EDSM was invented) went there first and claimed the Tag. Or maybe I visited there and then died, so lost the data, so someone else coming past later, didn't die, and claimed the Tag.

I have not investigated this but do you know if EDSM can output a list of those "first visited by you" systems?

I have not investigated this but do you know if EDSM can output a list of those "first visited by you" systems?

EDSM can give you a "flight log" of all the systems you visit. If you view it in "list mode" rather than "timeline mode", it notes the stars you were "First reporter to EDSM" for, with a little yellow star-icon over on the left hand side. I think that's the closest EDSM gets to "outputting a list".

so I'm going to have to open the map display all the systems I've visited and check them on at a time, which is what I thought. just wondering if there was a faster way, ok thanks

That's the only in-game way of getting that information, yes.

So, I have a few stars and planets that I, according to ED, discovered first. That information must be stored on the dbase somewhere - is that assumption correct?

If so, is there a way - other than keeping screenshots - I can look them up? Is that something EDSM does? I've not used it before and currently on my mobile so can"t investigate.

Sláinte!

As I said above, there is no way to extract that list out of ED directly - the only way you can do it in-game is to switch to the Visited Stars filter, then find and click on each and every star you've visited to see if there are any of your Tags present. If you want an actual list, you'll have to make it yourself with a spreadsheet, pen&paper, whatever.

EDSM can kind-of-give-you a list of star systems which you were the first person to report to EDSM - assuming, of course, you're all connected up to EDSM properly, so EDSM can read your journals. However, "first to report to EDSM" does not necessarily mean "First Discoverer in ED" - if the person who first discovered a system in-game was not an EDSM user, then EDSM cannot know about that earlier discovery.

Conversely, a system that has "First Reported to EDSM" might not actually have an in-game First Discovered Tag, because you need to cash the data in to get Tags, while EDSM reports discoveries instantly (unless you've switched that feature off in EDSM). So maybe someone explored a system, reported that exploration to EDSM, then exploded - or logged off the game and never logged back on - or simply kept on exploring and hasn't come back to port yet to sell the data. You can't know which of those options is true, unless you happen to know the EDSM user and can contact them to ask, thoguh EDSM does tell you how old the data is, so you can make a judgement call about whether or not to steal the data in such circumstances.

Shame it can't be extracted from ED - I don't profess to even slightly understand the mechanics - but the first tagged moniker has to be stored somewhere. Ah well...

Top Bottom