This new demand system SUCKS

With all the fixes and balances needed, I don't know why FDEV decided to change something that was working fine... There was the issue with some gold rush, ok, why not simply adjust the top prices of such commodities instead?

With all the fixes and balances needed, I don't know why FDEV decided to change something that was working fine... There was the issue with some gold rush, ok, why not simply adjust the top prices of such commodities instead?

^This

I'm not complaining about Inara or other apps, they're great and I've appreciated and supported them for years.

I'm complaining about the recent changes that made a "fake" economy even more frustrating and incomprehensible. I know many of you are chomping at the bit for a new opportunity to throw money at Frontier. But I would like the original, base Elite Dangerous game to work right.

I admit I'm somewhat opportunistic right now as I never was a big fan of 3rd party tools. But the way FDev is screwing the hard work of many 3rd party creators looks indeed surprisingly brutish...
I just would like to react to this in defense of FDev - they are surely not deliberately making our lives harder, by purpose. Rather the opposite, they are providing us ways how to make stuff for players easier. Many things and functionalities simply wouldn't exists or be so comfortable without journals or cAPI endpoints. Sure, there may be some difficulties when they change some parts of the game sometimes, like the stuff with variable prices on various demand levels. But I am certain such stuff is not made by ill intentions to break 3rd party tools or anything like that. :)

Put it this way - the effort people put in to the apps, brilliant, and they are incredibly useful depending on what you are doing.

But the downside is it makes "Make 10 Billion Per Hour With Your Favourite Content Creator" youtube vids possible.

Ach well.

Eh?

Huge portions of this game would be nigh on impossible without 3rd party apps.

I could live without the apps without too much of a problem.

What would be hard to do would be to live without the sites/forums that provide info on things that have been discovered/learned by other people. For example, how to unlock Guardian tech. Where to go, how you active the thingys and whatnots. The sort of things i'd never discover on my own or figure out.

If you want to contribute, install a tool like EDMarketConnector (https://github.com/EDCD/EDMarketConnector) and run it every time you play ED, that way every time you dock at a station you'll be populating the data for that station for everyone.

Think of Inara, or EDDB etc not as "game databases", but "information hubs" where voluntary members of the pilot's federation willingly share information among them as they collect it, which is essentially the truth.

Our squadron encourages and helps all members set up and install EDMC. Its a great tool. I see it as an ingame aid. I am sure everyone here as looked up something sometime on the net to do a run, find mats etc. So using Inara is no different. Just, as others have said, dont take it as gospel, take it as a very useful guide.

^This

I'm not complaining about Inara or other apps, they're great and I've appreciated and supported them for years.

I'm complaining about the recent changes that made a "fake" economy even more frustrating and incomprehensible. I know many of you are chomping at the bit for a new opportunity to throw money at Frontier. But I would like the original, base Elite Dangerous game to work right.
The demand system isn't "new" at all. It's been there ever since. And 3rd party apps always were prone to field outdated info. It is puzzling that it took so long to notice.

The demand system isn't "new" at all. It's been there ever since. And 3rd party apps always were prone to field outdated info. It is puzzling that it took so long to notice.
From the sounds of it OP noticed because he wanted to buy cheap $4k tritium using the 3rd party tools. This isn't often possible using those tools since the FC updates as the supply reduces quickly now. Quicker than it did before the updates, anyway. I think perhaps the state pre-updates was something unintentionally brought over from the beta.

I really want to believe the same. The main reason why I hate Inara or eddb is their potential to support the thinking and acting of swarms. But that is FDev's job to deal with. And the recent changes seem to be a useful tool to undermine this swarm support. All further conclusions (mine included, I'm not always free from wishful thinking, too) are of course pure speculation and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

On the other hand, they seem to have nothing against swarm building in general, as recent events and CGs from the past have shown. Which does not make a clear assessment of their intentions any easier, especially in light of strong swarm building constantly overstressing the game and net structures...

Sometimes they come across as if they want to prove the whole world that ED really is an MMO.
Well, that's up to players. Each popular data-rich game will spark such kind of tools, websites, helpers, guides, etc., doesn't matter if it's an MMO or not. Often also doesn't matter how well the game is made. For example, from the MMORPG genre - Guild Wars 2 is well made game, providing all information players need right in the game and you can comfortably play it as is without any additional tools, sites, etc. Yet, aside of extensive wiki (player-driven, but officially supported), there are other tools like meta-event timers, characters statistics, auction house details (despite the fact GW2 has one of the best auction houses I've seen in MMOs) and so on. You don't need to use it, but it makes your life somehow easier and more comfortable. That's usually an entire point of such tools - to make player's life more comfortable, not to exploit the game. Surely, players can manually gather all information and write it down to the paper, share it with a few friends maybe, but it lacks the comfort and may be even impossible sometimes, when the game's data are changing fast.

That's exactly the case where the 3rd party tools comes in and are so handy to many players. It may be even a deal breaker - play the game with a support of 3rd party tools or to not play the game at all, because they have no time for such activity (or it's simply no fun for them). The "swarm" behavior is natural, players tend to use the efficient approaches to progress in the game and doesn't matter the tools or not. For example famous and "overcrowded" Ceos/Sothis runs were completely outside of any tool "responsibility", it was spread by players via forums, social channels, etc. Everybody has an option to use or to not use such opportunities, doesn't matter the source of information.

Although is correct that some parts of such tools may "focus" a large population of players to certain areas of the game world (like stations where are currently the best commodity prices), there still are ways how it can be used even outside of that. For example, I have introduced a possible trade opportunities feature on Inara, which may help to discover new profits. Yet, for example, half of the possible low Tritium prices opportunities are either undiscovered (nobody bothered to fly to the station, to check the prices) or somebody actually flew in, but kept the prices to himself (and I am not saying it is wrong). ;)

So, the data are there, right in the game (either we call it MMO or not), and tools are doing nothing else than just presenting such data to players more comfortably. How they use the data, it's up to them.

Last edited:
Our squadron encourages and helps all members set up and install EDMC. Its a great tool. I see it as an ingame aid. I am sure everyone here as looked up something sometime on the net to do a run, find mats etc. So using Inara is no different. Just, as others have said, dont take it as gospel, take it as a very useful guide.
I thinks "guide" is very important.
If players look at whys the good runs exist, even if they do not get theres in time, then it leads to better bgs understandings. Economy/state/pop are basics(source/destination).
If solo then edges of bubble/low pop is easer to manipulates but larger groups can do more against high pop...where things are mores abundant.
This kinds of stuff is why the bgs exists, among other things...
Embrace it.[gives hugs]

Yeah you can't win this one. This issue is at the same time really stupid but would you give them back? You can't give them back for certain things because the absence of in game tools makes the discovery beyond reasonable gameplay.

You're dumb if you do and you're dumb if you don't. Palms up.

^This

You have to learn to adapt to the new changes in the game, or you die. Space Chares Darwin said so :p

Mining it yourself is much easier than what you seem to go through. Also remember everyone and their mom wants tritium and they use the same tools you are using.

Well, that's because inara and other third party apps are unreliable, inaccurate and not representative of realtime 🤷‍♀️

Top Bottom