Newcomer / Intro Those Mauve Adders keep biting me in the...

Oh, thanks for the warning about max canister count and decaying time! I had no idea. I dumped 26 canisters and were able to scoop everything up again. So, that basically makes my followup idea moot -- to always keep 2 collectors in reserve in case you have to pull this stunt on the way home.

But anyway. I'm Tycoon now. So about 5 more mining runs should suffice for Elite Trader, and from then on I'll only mine for engineering materials. ^^

Quite right. I had forgotten about that - interesting if it is now 40.

For a laugh (in the name of science) I just had a try. I dumped a load of stuff in an empty instance - got to 70 cans of jobbie floating in space then dropped the remaining 60 cans at which point a load blew up - left me with 101 cannisters floating quite happily awaiting their life countdown. Such fun! :)
now try the same inside a station ... ;)

That's a hilarious tactic to drop and wait. Great find.

Last two mining runs I did, both included visits by NPC pirates. The first visit included a Cobra MK-III & an Imperial Clipper. I eliminated the cobra quickly and started on the clipper. I was going slow so one of his limpets was able to "steal" some cargo. After eliminating the clipper, among the Mats I saw some legal salvage. Took me a second but - duh - that was my stuff! I got it all back. I was happy except - being in an anarchy system I earned no reward. Can't have it all, right?
On the 2nd mining run I was visited by another clipper (apparently elite) NPC. I had to run from that encounter only because I made a couple of small maneuvering mistakes during the combat. Surviving the encounter is a learning process. I was pretty happy that I realized right away what the difference was - and I still had about 70% hull. Flying thru the planet's rings really helpd my escape. I think if I weren't in my mining rig, I would have defeated that ship even with those little slips. Next time...

BTW, the "overlapping hot spot" mining zones are crazy. I stopped in on a painite zone in open play. Probably won't do that again for the time being. Very easy and much quicker to fill your hold though.

Have fun out there.

I also need to remember to outfit my combat ship (Chieftain) with a small Collector controller so I can pick up mats. There's no way of recovering used limpets, is there? I don't really have much room for cargo in that one.

On another note, I'm not really keen on Open Play, I usually run Solo or Wing.

There's no way of recovering used limpets, is there? I don't really have much room for cargo in that one.

On another note, I'm not really keen on Open Play, I usually run Solo or Wing.

No, there is no way to pick up limpets once you've deployed them. They become part of the stuff floating around out there in space. Playing in open is fine, just don't try it around certain places. That said, there's a lot of reasons that groups, wings, etc. are good environments to play in.

My exploits so far today:
Did a mining run and first encountered another peaceful miner. Then had a crash again when I was already pretty loaded, so after relogging this time I tried shutting off shields and everything else I could to reduce my signature. And what can I say, it seems to have worked ^^ Got some contact flickers on the scanner, but they didn't become solid and soon were gone again. The rest I could do in peace.
With the game update, you have to look around a bit to get good prices. Actually today I got more credits than ever before, although I had to go to a different port to sell. Will be interesting to see how this continues. With any luck, one more full mining run might get me to Elite, then I can go do more fun stuff.

Also, I did some missions today, and one of them got my Python destroyed. Or rather, my own hubris did. It was a cargo source run and the mission giver (the feds) said he'd pay extra if I destroyed any attackers. So I tried and got my ass handed to me. Cost me about 5 Mil rebuy. :/ So note to self: always evade interdiction, and don't do these low-volume runs with an expensive ship.
Apart from that, the cargo missions were actually quite fun. I mostly did them for reputation actually. ^^

My current fleet:
  • DBX -- my fast taxi, now with 47LY jump range
  • Vulture -- bought as RES fighter, but rarely used
  • AspX -- my former miner, now repurposed as Fast Packet, i.e. for small-volume cargo missions, ca 37 LY range
  • Chieftain -- for combat and other tasks that don't involve cargo or too far jumps, ca 23LY.
  • Python -- miner.

I also have an ImpEagle (meaning to build it into a racer), a Hauler as backup taxi, an Adder (that little bug is just too cute!), and a freshly-bought Type 7 I mean to turn into a cheapass cargo or passenger hauler, just for when I want to relax. BTW, what bad things can happen during passenger missions? Do pirates want to abduct them or what?

My exploits so far today:
.... BTW, what bad things can happen during passenger missions? Do pirates want to abduct them or what?
Be careful exploits is a loaded word in some bits of the forum.

The trouble with passengers, besides them being a whiny bunch that can’t make up there minds and keep asking you to buy stuff for them, is that half of them are openly criminal and wanted everywhere and a good chunk of the rest are also wanted but won’t admit it which means that if security successfully scan your ship you are going to be shot to shreds in no time.
The solution, other than avoiding them as the menace they are, is to treat passengers as smuggling and stealth or speed your way in and out of stations.
The exception to this seems to be when evacuating people from burning stations to rescue ships.

Alright, I never would have expected this. What makes the authorities think it's alright to blow up an entire ship with dozens of people on board just because a couple of them are wanted!? Anyway, thanks for the heads-up. So I guess I'll stay clear of passenger runs, then. Thanks for the heads-up!

Alright, I never would have expected this. What makes the authorities think it's alright to blow up an entire ship with dozens of people on board just because a couple of them are wanted!? Anyway, thanks for the heads-up. So I guess I'll stay clear of passenger runs, then. Thanks for the heads-up!
Remember they blow you up for loitering near a pad that isn’t yours.

Heh. Just today I got an infraction for hovering too long above my own pad. xD
(No, the timer didn't run out. It just took me a while to position the ship properly.)

The exception to this seems to be when evacuating people from burning stations to rescue ships.

I long thought that this might be interesting to try.

I have to say that I've not been fined for hovering over my assigned landing pad. I often hover just over the "landing scanner" height to check out other CMDRs' ships when I'm in open.

It's an odd galaxy that uses mortal punishment for very minor infractions. Being "wanted" for a 200cr fine is in that category for sure. A fine is a penalty; it's not... well, I won't rant.

Top Bottom