Thoughts on the current JWE and the right way to implement the sequel:

Hello there lovely people.

I would begin with stating that i am a JP/JW ultimate fan, i remember pre-ordering JWE the first day it was made possible to pre-order ( and i never pre-order games until seeing good amount of gameplay and positive reviews ! ).
I remember spending the entire night awake before the release day ( it was Monday, June 11th ), and the next day was literally the longest, i kept checking steam, updating web pages to just get the confirmation that it was released, and when it finally did, i was so tired and sleepy, but i went in and played it anyway.
It was nostalgic to hear Jeff as Ian Malcolm, as well as the awkwardly greedy and kind of funny Cabot Finch, i finished the main campaign in 4 days, well 3 days and a half to precise.
There was a phase later to get all the achievements and unlockables for the sandbox, after that i was just passing time playing and waiting for a dlc/update. I bought all the dlcs the first day they were announced, and finished the story packs in just a day, each. After the RtJP dlc, i played for a couple of months, but lost interest after Frontier suddenly cut communications with the fan base. That was more than than a year ago.

Recently.

I tried some mods but i didn't like the outcome, i decided to reinstall the game and start a fresh main campaign. Man, it felt good !
The game got so much more content that it is a thousand times better than its initial release state. I even had to change my management strategies. For example, i sent a jeep to restock some feeders, and the Triceratops destroyed it, i really had forgot about this implementation with the RtJP update. So i started using flares to distract dinosaurs whenever i am going for a refill.
The story itself was fun to replay and honestly i forgot about many details, but kept getting those déjà-vu moments once in a while.

I think the narrative was one of the strongest components of this game, but once the campaign ends, the game tends to become repetitive and limited.
Also the continued support for the game kept it alive, but once it stopped after only one year and a half from release, it became harder to enjoy the game and not get bored in the first 5 minutes of launching it, i wonder why did Frontier cut support ? I remember those dev videos at release, they kept announcing that they will support the game for 3 years, but they stopped at half that time with no explanation whatsoever.

Now to the next part, the sequel.

I believe a sequel is something that will definitely happen. Even if JWE had its hiccups, it sold really well, and that is the only thing a company needs to continue making products based on JW/JP. Many good games never got a sequel because they didn't sell enough, whilst others started entire franchises just because the first game generated extraordinary income.
I am not against a sequel, but i hope the first game's limitations don't pass to the second one. There was a time, whenever we got an update of JWE, they would say you could have this 'component x' but couldn't have that 'component y' because of engine limitations and technical difficulties. Like when they released the terrain paint, you couldn't have sand in all islands, later they fixed it but you couldn't get shale, and so on.
I really want the JW/JP theme to flourish in this supposed sequel, i don't want to hear about difficulties or issues. If the game has them in every turn then it isn't the right one.

I also want to address how will they link the two games ? Will my dlc dinosaur packs transfer to the second game ? If people own both games will they get access to special content ? ... and so on.

One thing that would definitely make me extremely thankful to Frontier, and encourage me to pre-order JWE2 from day one, is if they released a last quality of life update to JWE.
There is so many things they could work on, for example i still find it annoying that i paid for the Claire's Sanctuary dlc to unlock Botany, but i couldn't use it in the JP era. Dlcs that don't work with each other don't bode well, let alone two games.

Please forgive my manners, you people trying to get a good read and i am boring you with these what-if scenarios, trust me i don't mean to be rude, i am a just hopeless JP lover.

Thanks for reading, and i hope you enjoyed this ?!

Be Safe !

Last edited:
Hello there lovely people.

I felt the need to update this thread as the highly expected JWE2 game has been announced.
I would start by advising people to read my previous comment so they would get an idea about what i am going to talk about.

I will firstly address the division between the fan base, it is clear now that some people are dying to get their hands on the second game, whilst others are distrustful and skeptical about the quality of this product.
I personally find myself in between, that doesn't mean i am neutral, with no opinion on the matter. Instead i want to play the game but i am afraid it could be lower than what we are hoping for.
I will explain further how i currently feel:
  • I am hyped for the game and definitely want to play it:
As a die hard fan of the JW/JP franchise, it is natural for me to be drawn to all media linked to the said franchise, be it movies, cartoons or games.
I loved the narrative aspect of the first game, i enjoyed the campaign in general - more than once -, and i am pretty sure i will be enjoying playing the second game.
Getting more dinosaurs, flying and marine reptiles is surely a welcome sight, and i suspect many mechanics from the first game to be reworked or entirely changed.
  • I am concerned about the quality of the second game:
My experience with the first game made me concerned about how Frontier choses to handle problems, their lack of communication and business model are somehow not customer friendly, and thus i can't deny the fact that whenever they announce a game, i feel worried about its quality and replayability.
I am deeply concerned that the second game could inherit the technical limitations of the first game, along with poor management aspects.
Another thing that makes me distrust Frontier is the way they choose to market the product, JWE's first in-game footage showed many things that never made it to the game,
see this, it almost seems like a different game, with mist and different vegetation, even some dinosaurs looked different than the real deal ( the T-rex looked amazing here, but got downgraded visually in the final release ), certain shots were manipulated to give false assumptions (the raptors looked like they were pack hunting the Triceratops, but that never saw the light of day). Frontier should know better than to pull these cheap moves, they may seem beneficial at the beginning, but they will soon backfire on them when many players lose trust in them. I am not saying they are doing the Devil's work, but they shouldn't trick people with false advertisement to get them to pre-order.

That's another thing i want to address, if you read my previous comment, you would know i pre-ordered JWE since day one, because i had seen that in-game footage and immediatly fell to hype, but now, i am pretty sure i will wait for a sizable sale to grab the game, not a 10% or 20% sale, but more than 50%, and i don't care if it takes months or years, i will definitely want to play the game in the future, but right now i just don't feel the urge to became prey of corporate greed again.

Don't get me wrong guys, i am not trying to be rude, i am happy for the players that will keep their hype no matter what, and i kind of understand the players that will never want to buy the game. I just want you to know that all companies work with the principles of action and reaction, they do something - the action -, then they await our reaction, if everything is fine, they continue with the same approach, with a goal to maximize profit. If they see negative reactions however, they will stop and try to solve the problems before they continue, because they would fear if they don't fix it, profits would start dropping. It doesn't mean we can call them bad names or be rude about it, but we can politely give constructive criticism so they could know what they did right, and what they did wrong.

I will put below an organised list that showcases my feedback ( feel free to add more in the comments below ):

What they are doing right:
  • Including more dinosaurs on launch, with brand new flying and aquatic reptiles. ( we need more info )
  • More buildings. ( we need more info )
  • Diverse park biomes. ( we need more info )
  • Better dinosaur AI. ( we need more info )
  • Reworked game mechanics. ( we need more info )
  • More customization. ( we need more info )
  • Updated graphics. ( we need more info )
  • New game modes. ( we need more info )
What they have done wrong ( in JWE1 ) or could be doing wrong ( in JWE2 ):
  • They advertised misleading features. ( in JWE1 )
  • They released a beta level game for an AAA game's price. ( in JWE1 )
  • They cut support in lesser than half the initially announced period. ( in JWE1 )
  • Lack of communication. ( in JWE1 )
  • No mod support. ( in JWE1 and probably in JWE2 )
  • Poor customization. ( in JWE1 and possibly in JWE2 )
  • Poor replayability.( in JWE1 and possibly in JWE2 )
  • Limited assets. ( in JWE1 and probably in JWE2 )
  • No real/individual guests. ( in JWE1 and probably in JWE2 )
  • No baby dinosaurs. ( in JWE1 and in JWE2 )
With a well built JWE2, Frontier could achieve better financial gains than with its predecessor, or it could -hopefully not- fail miserably with major refunds' requests on the first week of release, i truly wish for it to be the former not the latter !

Sorry for the long read, have a nice day and be safe !

Very good points and very well done. As I stated in another post loyal fans deserve the best game possible. I know frontier does amazing work but yes the first jwe didn’t quite live up to the hype. Not a bad game by no means but just didn’t offer enough imo. I’m not stoked about another jwe tbh but we all enjoy simulation style games including animals,dinosaurs, and prehistoric content and since there’s not too many to choose from it’s a super big deal when a company steps up to the plate and accepts the challenge to try to please a independently picky fan base at times. So hats off to frontier and the makers of PK for bringing back some of the nostalgia from the older simulation games. But I do have the first jwe and yes frontier can do much better respectively. I’ve already said my thoughts on the 2nd game but until seeing more in game footage and some actual gameplay it’s not accurate to judge the game just yet.

Last edited:
You have to remember, Frontier was basically rushed by Universal to release JWE in time for the release of Fallen Kingdom...they've had much more time to work on JWE2, I'm sure the one year delay in the movie being released helped in that aspect. I don't know why anyone would be skeptical, JWE2 will most definitely be superior to JWE. I'm sure all of our feedback and concerns have been heard loud and clear by the team. My only wish is that sandbox mode will be like Planet Zoo, with everything unlocked and available from the start for those of us who aren't interested in story/campaign mode.

You have to remember, Frontier was basically rushed by Universal to release JWE in time for the release of Fallen Kingdom...they've had much more time to work on JWE2, I'm sure the one year delay in the movie being released helped in that aspect. I don't know why anyone would be skeptical, JWE2 will most definitely be superior to JWE. I'm sure all of our feedback and concerns have been heard loud and clear by the team. My only wish is that sandbox mode will be like Planet Zoo, with everything unlocked and available from the start for those of us who aren't interested in story/campaign mode.
JWE2 is going to be better than JWE1, no question in that.
Will the first game's limitations transfer to JWE2 ? Now that's another question. We still need to see gameplay, but the pictures show the same blobs of guests, so guest management is still the same, they could add more options for shops and ratings, but it is still the same problem in core.
Anyway, i will keep my guard until i see some substantial changes, i got over-hyped once, not gonna happen again.

Top Bottom