Newcomer / Intro Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick question

Hey all,

Helping a friend get into the game, and we have some Thrustmaster hiccups I wouldn't mind running by you guys...

The Problem
The problem we're getting, is that not all the buttons are being recognised, and its really sensitive - almost unplayable sensitive. I've been playing for a long time, and I can hardly get out of the space station with it.

Windows recognises the joystick is there, and via the device manager, there's a properties page, with a little test program which flags all the buttons and axis working fine

The Thrustmaster TARGET software is installed ok, and the profile for the joystick loaded up ok.

Tried different USB ports, uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers and software, but to no avail

Question
In the control menu, should the Thrustmaster me listed in the options? - in this case, it is not listed and I'm wondering if that is my problem? Although the game is using the joystick, its not seeing it in the control menu. Could the default joystick profile be the reason it's not working very well?

Environment
Windows 10 laptop
Elite Dangerous Horizons, +up to latest patch
Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick - just the joystick not the throttle
Thrustmaster TARGET software +T.16000M profile loaded

Cheer all,
Ash

I just got the exact same HOTAS yesterday and, on the advice of other users in the forum, I did not install the TARGET software. Some of the default settings didn't make any sense to me so I changed them, but I have not had the same problems as your friends with regard to sensitivity. The possible exception might be the push mini-stick on the throttle, which controls left-right and up-down thrusters, and is entirely too sensitive. I haven't come up with a solution for that yet.

I did not use the TARGET software, and in the Controls menu, I do have the option Thrustmaster T.16000M. The difference may be that I didn't use that software. That's the only thing I can think of I did differently.

Last edited:
WRT the sensitivity and buttons not being recognised, have you tried uninstalling TARGET? I can't imagine what else it would be.

What's the reason for using TARGET? Unless you want the macros or curves you don't need it.

WRT not seeing it in the Controls menu, are you using Stream? You need to disable an option in Steam called generic joystick or something like that.

Last edited:
Thanks for coming back and sharing your experiences with it!

That's a very good point, I haven't tried with just the drivers, and not TARGET - just went an downloaded everything :)

I'll try an uninstall TARGET, and share back on the thread here

Cheers,
Ash

Not Steam in this instance, just straight forward PC download. I did see that Steam post when I was searching, and guessing it may be something similar, with something preventing it seeing the TM - and as you guys have both mentioned, TARGET may be tripping it up - fingers crossed!

I second the advice of uninstalling TARGET.
I am not using TARGET at all. Just plug the joystick, bind all buttons directly in the game options.

I have heard only the worst things about TARGET so I haven't even tried to install it. Windows seem to handle the drivers well and the game doesn't have problems with it.

I also don't use the TARGET software.

My joystick pooped out (early as far as I'm concerned)
I now use a Logitech joystick. 1/2 hota's 1/2 Logitech and I love it.

fly dangerous

Hey all,

Helping a friend get into the game, and we have some Thrustmaster hiccups I wouldn't mind running by you guys...

The Problem
The problem we're getting, is that not all the buttons are being recognised, and its really sensitive - almost unplayable sensitive. I've been playing for a long time, and I can hardly get out of the space station with it.

Windows recognises the joystick is there, and via the device manager, there's a properties page, with a little test program which flags all the buttons and axis working fine

The Thrustmaster TARGET software is installed ok, and the profile for the joystick loaded up ok.

Tried different USB ports, uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers and software, but to no avail

Question
In the control menu, should the Thrustmaster me listed in the options? - in this case, it is not listed and I'm wondering if that is my problem? Although the game is using the joystick, its not seeing it in the control menu. Could the default joystick profile be the reason it's not working very well?

Environment
Windows 10 laptop
Elite Dangerous Horizons, +up to latest patch
Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Joystick - just the joystick not the throttle
Thrustmaster TARGET software +T.16000M profile loaded

Cheer all,
Ash
The game recognises the stick when the TARGET software isn't running. When you start the TARGET script, the joystick is replaced with a "Thrustmaster Virtual Controller (root)" device that the game doesn't recognise. You need to map the axes yourself.

The super-sensitive stick sounds like you have the rotation axes mapped to the digital inputs rather than the axis. Don't map "roll left", for instance - map the yaw axis in the field directly above that.

With regard to the non-functional buttons, it's the hat switches, yes?

When you run TARGET, the stick is replaced with a DirectInput virtual device. This means you need to map the four hat switches to the DirectInput joypad (called DXHAT) in the TARGET software, or they just won't work when you start the script.

Not running TARGET solves the problems, but you will lose the advanced scripting and response curve control that the software provides. Personally, I value that flexibility over a little complexity in setup. YMMV. For example, you can use TARGET to reduce the response of the thruster mini-stick on a curve so that it's not too sensitive, but still gives 100% response when at the maximum deflection.

If it works (attachments are a bit strange on this forum), I've attached my TARGET profile. It's a simple profile - no fancy scripts - but it should show you the mappings and my response curves. Just change the extension to .fcf from .txt, and point TARGET to it. You will still need to map the controls in the game.

Attachments

• Elite.txt
    11.3 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
I second the advice of uninstalling TARGET.
I am not using TARGET at all. Just plug the joystick, bind all buttons directly in the game options.

I have heard only the worst things about TARGET so I haven't even tried to install it. Windows seem to handle the drivers well and the game doesn't have problems with it.

Couldn't agree more. I have the joystick and throttle and don't use the TARGET software, I just let windows deal with the drivers and keep it simple!

Success!

Uninstalling TARGET did the trick. Not coming up the list under the control menu, but it works fine and not super sensitive any more, plus all the buttons are working
- job's a good 'un!

Thank you everyone for all the comments, help and suggestions, there's one more commander out there now thanks to you ...well, there will be, once she learns how to dock ;-)

Cheers,
Ash

Last edited:
Problem:
Thrustmaster T.160000M FCS Joystick was super sensitive, and not all the buttons were repsonding

Solution:
Install the joystick device drivers
If using Thrustmaster TARGET software, map the axes correctly when using the TARGET software; map the DXHAT function correctly when using the TARGET software.

Last edited:
I have TARGET software running with my Thrustmaster T.160000M FCS and no probs at all.

I agree with the100thmonkey - it sounds like you had your analogue joystick mapped to the digital inputs.

Problem:
Thrustmaster T.160000M FCS Joystick was super sensitive, and not all the buttons were repsonding

Solution:
Install the joystick device drivers, but do not install / uninstall the Thrustmaster TARGET software.
That's not the right way to characterise the problem and solution relationship!

Problem: The T.160000M joystick was super sensitive and not all the buttons were responding.
Solution: Map the axes correctly when using the TARGET software; map the DXHAT function correctly when using the TARGET software.

I recognise that many people just want a plug-and-play experience with a joystick, but there are powerful reasons to actually do a little research into what TARGET is for and what it can do. Elite is a complex game - no one will argue with that - but with that comes a great deal of flexibility. The curve editor itself is worth the slight increase in price over the Logitech 3D Pro, let alone the massively superior sensors, which are basically an order of magnitude better than other sticks in the same price band. That sensitivity is unlocked with TARGET.

Last edited:
Top Bottom