Time to pay attention to Tip Offs again?

Understand this is the "Thargoids and Guardians" forum... and that this post could be suited to the "Mysteries" thread... but I feel this should probably be called the "Thargoids, Guardians and Other Mysteries" forum.

Someone cross-posted this thread elsewhere... and while it wasn't Gan Romero's ship that was discovered, it did re-invigorate my interest in Tip-Offs. I had three tip-offs in my message backlog which I'd neglected. Unfortunately, two had expired (one by one day, and going to the location, I actually found no sign of any shipwreck, despite any wiki entries/information, and yes, I've been finding these things regularly in the past without problem).

One was current, however, so I checked it out.

It led to a known-base, Fermat Beacon, and when scanning the Core Data... thingy.... I got a message.

Now, this is where you need to trust me a bit. I could invoke some things that might make you trust me, but I won't do that for now.

Either way... I had a comedy of errors leading to me firstly crashing into the planet and dying, and secondly under-estimating the effects of 1.0 G in a weak-shielded Asp Explorer, and getting stuck in the base. I eventually got out and scanned the core data thing. Unfortunately, I only had 39% hull by the time I did this, and was promptly destroyed by the base defences trying to retreat.

And then of all things, I was destroyed.... go figure. And now here's the absurd bit. Scanned the beacon, died, so i lost the core data package, but still had the decrypted message. So, I read it...

and then...

I deleted it. I have NFI why.

Anyway, the message read something along the lines of being a corporate data entry, along the lines of "The Rockforth ship blowing up wasn't an accident; it was a superconductor which failed... something something I'm going to go, wish me luck."

Rockforth is an NPC faction in the game. They're also tied back to Sirius, surprise surprise. I tend to ignore most flavour lore though.

What shook me is that, unless my google-fu is weak (which is entirely likely), the transcript of my message isn't recorded anywhere, at least not from any discovery at HIP 12314

Now, darting back to my link to the Raxxla post. Tacitus also claims he couldn't find any info about the message he got, which led him 900LY away. I'm not saying to believe that, but I'm saying that maybe, where we initially had interest in these messages when they were shiny and new, but were subsequently sent back to the same sites over and over... maybe even though we end up in the same places, we might get different messages relevant to things going on right now. I've long advocated that tip-offs should lead to some interesting things, but not always. Maybe FD listened, and there's now something to pay attention to here.

tl;dr I think we should start paying attention to Tip-Offs some more, as they might give us leads on the stuff in galnet...

Always possible that the previous thing of tip-offs generally leading to doing something that had no follow on either:

- Was broken and has been fixed

- Has been built upon

So agreed, with what's been reported so far, it's definitely worth a revisit.

We might be able to recover the message by looking at your journal files. If you want to investigate that, send me a DM! :)

We might be able to recover the message by looking at your journal files. If you want to investigate that, send me a DM! :)
The message Factabulous posted is the same one I got. Unfortunately in this case, journal diving won't recover the actual credit reward I received, which I had some tests planned for.

Dja Co-P Mapping Service here, reporting:

I think that I'm already completely covered in virtual dust and spiderwebs - lately I spent more than entire week in attempt to rebuild a database of tip off destinations/scan logs ever received (mostly the latter) - deep mining of the history on official forums, reddit and quite a few discords. The main goal was not to find any (new) mysteries - quite the contrary - to collect all those not-so-unique-repeatable titbits of text (and the set of semi-persistent destinations) in order to be able in future to destinguish them from anything new and potentially interesting. Anyway as they were already presented in game even those messages are parts of the current lore. As the resulted spreadsheet is actually "work in progress" and has not finished up to now I don't want to publish it immediately (also some approval from the autors of previous attempts will be highly appreciated). However in case of interest in participation I can be contacted here or on Canonn/IRH discodrs (or elsewhere).
o7
cmdr Dja, out

... btw, the mentioned document already contains 19 unique records of "Corporate Data Log" type, the one received here was already there.

Regarding Cmdr Tacticus and tipp offs I would like to add the following: we discussed the topic in our German forum, too, and Cmdr Rocky83 [NEFL] went to the first site and couldn't find a wreck. Cmdr FrankBo did some research and found this thread about tipp offs and that the text Cmdr Tacticus received in a log was not new: here is a link to know tipp of texts!
Yeah, that was the first productive attempt to make the list back in 2016 and I take it into account.
Also, beware, that recently an interesting thing has been observed (most probably a bug) - commanders visiting the same site (settlement in this case) and at the same time but having different game localisations can obtain different logs as the result (log will be the same "inside" same localisation but differ in other languages). And that's not an error of translation - they will be completely different (observed at Cupinook 3, Phillips Gateway, Original English and Russian localisations)

I'm collecting and investigating Tip Offs for years now and since a few months I intensified my research.
So far I have 25 unique messages (from data cores of settlements and ships) and 37 different locations that lead to messages.
But there are a few very important insights regarding TOs which I found out just recently.
I hope that sharing them will help other people and maybe also encourage some others to go searching for new sites.

1. You can visit Tip Off sites again after a while and they may also spit out different messages upon revisit - and that, even if the TO already expired after 30 days.
To proof that, I revisited all my collected Tip Off locations and nearly all of them gave me messages - some of them were 1 to 3 years old.

2. Tip Off sites from other people give messages as well!

3. At first I thought we are supposed to do something with the messages, e.g go to a location and search for something.
But since a week I am convinced that the content of the messages is not so important! It is the location (the system) of the message which is!
The different systems with settlements and ships that spit out those messages, seem to form some kind of 'breadcrumb trails'.
I noticed that some of my TipOff sites had similar distances to each other (in an array). All within the range of ~20ly (+-3ly so far)
So I tried to find other locations with new messages, just by searching within the distance of 20 ly.
And you know what? I found 5 different new locations!
Plus, I noticed that systems like 12 Trianguli (with the Inra base) are also part of the 'breadcrumb trail'.
While searching, I only focused on ++ and +++ bases, so I might even have missed stuff on or around planets.

So, these trail(s) may lead to some old and new discoveries, but I'm not sure if the important distance of the waypoints is always ~20 ly.
There seem to be different trails and perhaps they have also different distances? Or maybe 20 is the magic number? Ra(nge) XX l(ightyears) a(rray) ?? :D
I am still investigating and keep you informed and may post the messages and locations if someones is interested.

However, if you want to find things by your own, just visit a TipOff location or perhaps even an Inra base or similar and just start searching in the range of 20 ly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom