Time to pay attention to Tip Offs again?

Quite interesting observations. I've heard (not sure at all) that earlier scans of ship wrecks for commanders w/o original tip off's were useless (no messages, no payouts). Ok at least I personally remember that there were no payouts (back in ~2016). Recently I've tested the case of settlement scan - yes, you can get the message at least w/o tip off. Can confirm.
However the spreadsheet I'm building now already contains 62 unique messages and ~100 locations recorded (some in form of "rumors"). I can PM you the link to my work if you are interested.
EDIT - ok, looks like you've disabled PM's

Last edited:
Quite interesting observations. I've heard (not sure at all) that earlier scans of ship wrecks for commanders w/o original tip off's were useless (no messages, no payouts). Ok at least I personally remember that there were no payouts (back in ~2016). Recently I've tested the case of settlement scan - yes, you can get the message at least w/o tip off. Can confirm.
However the spreadsheet I'm building now already contains 62 unique messages and ~100 locations recorded (some in form of "rumors"). I can PM you the link to my work if you are interested.
EDIT - ok, looks like you've disabled PM's

A PM should be possible I hope... and yes, I'm interested! Thanks!
I also have a 'rumors' sheet which I'm currently processing. The 35 locations and 25 messages I was talking about were all visited and scanned by me in the past weeks, so they are already verified.

Plus, I noticed that systems like 12 Trianguli (with the Inra base) are also part of the 'breadcrumb trail'.
So did you find tipoffs to multiple INRA bases, or just the one in 12 Trianguli? We never really worked out how we were supposed to find the exact location of those bases, and Tip-Offs would be more elegant than the 'comb the desert' technique that was used.

Would be especially interested in a tip-off leading to Stuart Retreat in HIP 15329, as that was certainly datamined by nefarious individuals :(

Anyway, I may go and hang around in hope of some tip-offs :)

about the range of ~ 20 ly - I've plotted so far known locations (no, no INRA bases included) and it the result distribution looks quite homogeneous bubble-wise with Pleiades aside (may be there is separate tip off seed location there?). Pleiades are special - and so far the only known to me location with 2 different TO destinations in the same system and on the same planet.

I just wish they didn't keep sending me to bugged sites that I reported literally a year ago as not being able to access the datapoint.

Anyone remember what triggers Tip Off missions? I thought it was just SCing around, others have said it was on handing in missions, normally I just spot I have them & don't know. thx!

I get them if i stay too much in the same spot
Be it 15-20 minutes in a CZ or forgetting myself in a station while browsing the forums.

They're not Tip-Offs, just proc-gen missions when you're idle. Tip-Offs have "Tip Off" in the subject, those do not.

Anyone remember what triggers Tip Off missions? I thought it was just SCing around, others have said it was on handing in missions, normally I just spot I have them & don't know. thx!
You need to run a lot of missions.... unsure how many, but I believe it's time-bound too... you can't just do a couple missions here and there. Also unsure if they all have to be for the same faction.

Dom verified this a while back in some obscure thread I'm almost certainly not going to be able to find...

EDIT: I can't find that post yet, but I can find the post from Dom saying that non-station mission offers aren't tip-offs.

Also... interesting comment from Dom in the same thread:

Also they don't disappear when somebody visits them. I believe (though it's been a while since I had to touch anything to do with them as they're largely the web and content team's domain) that there is a rotating pool of locations and they stick around for two weeks and we give out tip-offs for them within the first week before activating the next set. So they're not permanent, but they're also not particularly short-lived.

They're not Tip-Offs, just proc-gen missions when you're idle. Tip-Offs have "Tip Off" in the subject, those do not.

You need to run a lot of missions.... unsure how many, but I believe it's time-bound too... you can't just do a couple missions here and there. Also unsure if they all have to be for the same faction.

Dom verified this a while back in some obscure thread I'm almost certainly not going to be able to find...

EDIT: I can't find that post yet, but I can find the post from Dom saying that non-station mission offers aren't tip-offs.
Thanks - that makes sense as I've been stacking lots of assassinations / rescuing lots of attacked stations, so either of those could probably have triggered the tip-offs I've got. Sounds like I might have to do the same thing, but near an INRA base and see if that poster has any validity ;)

Thanks - that makes sense as I've been stacking lots of assassinations / rescuing lots of attacked stations, so either of those could probably have triggered the tip-offs I've got. Sounds like I might have to do the same thing, but near an INRA base and see if that poster has any validity ;)
One of the expired tip-offs I had was for the Anaconda near the original Thargoid Surface Shipwreck. Comensurate with Dom's post above... I'm assuming it deactivated, as I was a day late.

Yea, you are right - i got generic missions while doing CZ

^ This. I got 3 tip off missions while stacking supply missions at Underwood Dock during this CG.
Edit: the number of stacked missions was not something impressive. About 3-4 (most of the time) to 7 (rarely) missions at most.

Last edited:
Yea, you are right - i got generic missions while doing CZ
Not really relevant to the topic, but I noticed they're usually related to a previous mission, so a form of proc-gen chain mission, in space.

Edit: the number of stacked missions was not something impressive. About 3-4 (most of the time) to 7 (rarely) missions at most.
The rules are really weird. I did about 50 rescue missions from a station today, and got nothing. I also stacked about a dozen assassination/surface scan/courier missions, all same faction, same station, nothing again. But then another day I can log on, do two or three missions, then get them.

Ah... here's the thread.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/is-there-a-trick-to-getting-those-tip-off-messages.380185/

Dom repped a bunch of posts which were related to getting them. I accidentally blackmailed for rep :p

Just went through that thread, so yea: being allied with the faction, stacking more missions from the same faction (or completing them?)
Not sure about idling in that station helps - i usually do that (sometimes forums get my attention more than the game)

Ah... here's the thread.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/is-there-a-trick-to-getting-those-tip-off-messages.380185/

Dom repped a bunch of posts which were related to getting them. I accidentally blackmailed for rep :p
Ok, some more useful links here:
1)The Things are coming, we cannot stop them ... and we need your help! - the very first attempt
2) Very detailed post on that subject by CMDR Ian Doncaster in the "must read" Investigation into the "Mysterious Stranger" thread (check also for a bit provocative comments there from already mentioned Dominic Corner =) )
3) More comments from the same person here - Anyone had a tip off?

So did you find tipoffs to multiple INRA bases, or just the one in 12 Trianguli? We never really worked out how we were supposed to find the exact location of those bases, and Tip-Offs would be more elegant than the 'comb the desert' technique that was used.

Would be especially interested in a tip-off leading to Stuart Retreat in HIP 15329, as that was certainly datamined by nefarious individuals :(

Anyway, I may go and hang around in hope of some tip-offs :)

There are a bunch of Tip Off sites near the Inra bases (I added the bookmarks of the bases just recently), but I still have to fill some gaps in the breadcrump trail, which means, I have to find missing sites in the range of ~20ly.
Chances are very high that you do not even need a Tip Off to figure out the trail. You may be able to scan cores and receive messages anyhow - the only difference is the payout of the core scans. But that does not matter. The Tip Off missions seem to be there to give us starting points, to let us know where to begin our search.
Breadcrumps (so far) are crashed ships and settlements that give you messages if you scan the core.

Oh, here is one example of a part of such a 'breadcrump trail' which is a mixture of received TOs from the mysterious stranger, sites which I found by searching in the 20 ly range and bookmarks from the community (the inra bases) :

HIP 6324 <- 22,97 ly -> Jang O <- 20,59 ly -> Takan <- 22,58 -> 12 Trianguli <- 19,8 ly -> Paestae <- 22,79 lx -> HIP 12314 <- 21,99 ly -> HIP 12099

There was a TO site in HIP 14840 back in 2016 - I have searched that system but this site (among others) seems to be deleted.
So for now the closest verified TO site to HIP 15329 is HIP 12314, which is 30,79 ly away. If my trail theory is correct, there should be one or two more sites to be found ~20 ly away from both systems.

Last edited:
There are a bunch of Tip Off sites near the Inra bases (I added the bookmarks of the bases just recently), but I still have to fill some gaps in the breadcrump trail, which means, I have to find missing sites in the range of ~20ly.
Chances are very high that you do not even need a Tip Off to figure out the trail. You may be able to scan cores and receive messages anyhow - the only difference is the payout of the core scans. But that does not matter. The Tip Off missions seem to be there to give us starting points, to let us know where to begin our search.
Breadcrumps (so far) are crashed ships and settlements that give you messages if you scan the core.

Oh, here is one example of a part of such a 'breadcrump trail' which is a mixture of received TOs from the mysterious stranger, sites which I found by searching in the 20 ly range and bookmarks from the community (the inra bases) :

HIP 6324 <- 22,97 ly -> Jang O <- 20,59 ly -> Takan <- 22,58 -> 12 Trianguli <- 19,8 ly -> Paestae <- 22,79 lx -> HIP 12314 <- 21,99 ly -> HIP 12099
So ... you're saying the Top Offs don't point to the INRA bases, they just happen to be nearby? Confused.

One of the expired tip-offs I had was for the Anaconda near the original Thargoid Surface Shipwreck. Comensurate with Dom's post above... I'm assuming it deactivated, as I was a day late.

I think you can still visit the site and receive the message! The data core just pays less. I visited bookmarked sites (which I never visited before) after months / years and still received messages.

Donation missions of all kind usually trigger them... and it could be possible that you have to be in certain system. I received TOs in Alioth, Shinrarta and Sol so far (also the same TOs, no difference!!), but there are other places.
The last few month I spent exclusively in Sol, Mercury, Daedalus station and did only missions for Federal Congress. Received a lot of TOs there, but after a while the TO spawn stagnates. But again, the TOs may act as initial hint for us, that we know where to start searching. It still has to be verified if the decryption key really is important.

So ... you're saying the Top Offs don't point to the INRA bases, they just happen to be nearby? Confused.

A Tip Off gives you just a starting point for your search, but not the Inra bases or important findings directly... if you begin searching you will find those breadcrumps in 20ly range and sooner or later you will stumble upon something important, like the inra bases.

Top Bottom