To All Veteran CMDRs about Ship launched fighter

Who is the CMDR who lead in complaining to remove the other Ship launched fighter? Large Ships should have 4-6 Ship launch fighters to make the Dogfight more entertaining in the eyes. If you are concerned about the NPC aimbot, then they should be nerfed and wont rank up. Big and expensive ships should be OP and has guards on it.

But now look at these videos I watched like the Sidewinder defeated a Corvette, this is not just right!
Good pilots should be good pilots and noob pilots should be noob pilots and the Ship launched fighter should never have been removed! And they could have added more fighters to make a CMDR feel how Darth Vader feels.

When I started looking for a space game I research on what game that had drones or has an aircraft carrier, I went to Everspace but they dont offer those. So I found about Elite Dangerous. And I was a little disappointed when I played and realize I can only launch 1 fighter. And it made the game more lonely.

I believe the CMDR who led to ask the nerf is a kind of Commander who just love small ships and got mad how the Launched fighters wrecked him and complain about it.

Sorry, didn't read the thread but Frontier have gone too far this time by removing ship launched fighters!

Dunno what specific discussion he OP is referring to but I have a Corvette I use primarily for PvE combat (it was built for High CZ work) with multi-crew in mind to help less experienced players practice in safety & earn a bit of money.

It has 2x fighter bays and the 2xsmall & 2x medium guns are pulse turrets that don't do a lot of damage but can be used by crew & are usually set to fire at will when I'm alone (as is the NPC controlled fighter).

Now if I drop into a haz RES in a 'normal' ship (Python, FDL etc) I can quickly dispatch any single NPC ship, one by one. If there's an eagle or sidewinder out there I can kill it easily but I have to target it & make it my main focus at some point during the fight. In the Corvette I can tag multiple targets & focus my main weapons on the bigger ones while the NPC fighter & turrets more or less just take care of the rest. I can do a similar thing with the Cutter although the Cutter's smaller distro makes the Corvette easier to manage.

The Corvette is a PvE godship already and an NPC fighter is giving it another hardpoint too. It doesn't need to be even more effective with multiple SLFs.

An alternative take I am only anecdotally aware of is that in a PvP situation NPC SLFs can create a significant drag on network traffic, with each player's game having to receive feedback on SLF NPCs that cannot be handled by the local hardware every extra SLF counts for an extra players worth of network traffic. I'm not sure adding even more would be practical.

What I do to get that 'commanding a fleet' feeling (in CZs) is to shepherd the greens into a clump that collectively focus on the same target, one after another. Effective and fun ;)

Dunno what specific discussion he OP is referring to but I have a Corvette I use primarily for PvE combat (it was built for High CZ work) with multi-crew in mind to help less experienced players practice in safety & earn a bit of money.

It has 2x fighter bays and the 2xsmall & 2x medium guns are pulse turrets that don't do a lot of damage but can be used by crew & are usually set to fire at will when I'm alone (as is the NPC controlled fighter).

Now if I drop into a haz RES in a 'normal' ship (Python, FDL etc) I can quickly dispatch any single NPC ship, one by one. If there's an eagle or sidewinder out there I can kill it easily but I have to target it & make it my main focus at some point during the fight. In the Corvette I can tag multiple targets & focus my main weapons on the bigger ones while the NPC fighter & turrets more or less just take care of the rest. I can do a similar thing with the Cutter although the Cutter's smaller distro makes the Corvette easier to manage.

The Corvette is a PvE godship already and an NPC fighter is giving it another hardpoint too. It doesn't need to be even more effective with multiple SLFs.

An alternative take I am only anecdotally aware of is that in a PvP situation NPC SLFs can create a significant drag on network traffic, with each player's game having to receive feedback on SLF NPCs that cannot be handled by the local hardware every extra SLF counts for an extra players worth of network traffic. I'm not sure adding even more would be practical.

What I do to get that 'commanding a fleet' feeling (in CZs) is to shepherd the greens into a clump that collectively focus on the same target, one after another. Effective and fun ;)
Like I said the Statistics doesnt matter and the Presence of ship launch fighter feels more immersive of being a commander than a lonely commander..... People are updating their hardware regardless because nobody wants of being outdated . People are even upgrading computers for Odyssey.

Like I said the Statistics doesnt matter and the Presence of ship launch fighter feels more immersive of being a commander than a lonely commander..... People are updating their hardware regardless because nobody wants of being outdated . People are even upgrading computers for Odyssey.

'People' eh? ;) Got a link?

Like I said shepherd the greens in a CZ & you can get that feeling of commanding a team of NPCs already without changing the game or local hardware.

Last edited:
We never had the ability to have more than 2 SLF launched, (one NPC pilot and one multi crew, or two multicrew) at a time anyway. Even that few causes performance issues when other commanders are in an instance with you, even with top end hardware, if more than a couple people are running SLF.

It would be nice to have the option I suppose. You could turn a Type10/Cutter/Vette/Annie into a SLF carrier capable of launching a dozen or more fighters. It would have the potential to make PvP even more asynchronous than it already is, but does anyone really even do synchronous PvP anymore in open? Synchronous PvP seems relegated to livestreams in PG these days.

Last edited:
I do not know what the OP is referring to specifically. I took a bit of a break from the game so changes over the last week or so I'm unaware of.

Did they remove SLFs entirely? Because THAT would be huge news and potentially a pitchfork and torches event against fdev

Did they remove SLFs entirely? Because THAT would be huge news and potentially a pitchfork and torches event against fdev

WRT SLFs nothing has changed or been announced AFAIK. I've been using an NPC controlled SLF all weekend (in Odyssey), same behaviour as usual. I think the OP just wants a change to the game to allow more than one NPC SLF to be deployed simultaneously.

'People' eh? ;) Got a link?

Like I said shepherd the greens in a CZ & you can get that feeling of commanding a team of NPCs already without changing the game or local hardware.
Is that the best solution you have for me with my problem? I dont buy it....If you give that kind of food I wont eat! for christ sake its 2021 games now are immersive.

We never had the ability to have more than 2 SLF launched, (one NPC pilot and one multi crew, or two multicrew) at a time anyway. Even that few causes performance issues when other commanders are in an instance with you, even with top end hardware, if more than a couple people are running SLF.

It would be nice to have the option I suppose. You could turn a Type10/Cutter/Vette/Annie into a SLF carrier capable of launching a dozen or more fighters. It would have the potential to make PvP even more asynchronous than it already is, but does anyone really even do synchronous PvP anymore in open? Synchronous PvP seems relegated to livestreams in PG these days.
I dont care if the SLF has only 1 dmg per hit as long as I can deploy more SLF and have 3 NPC crew on the ship, makes my experience wonderful and not lonely playing elite.

No CMDR led to a nerf on the number of launched fighters. It was always limited to 1 NPC and potentially 1 CMDR crew for a maximum of 2 at a time. This was a deliberate design decision by Frontier for the Horizons 2.2 release. Presumably they ran into some insurmountable technical issues during development, because the UI always looked like it was supposed to have up to 3 active slots yet that never came to pass.

You can't use AI-controlled SLFs in PVP without angering everyone involved, which is what many complaints you see stem from, but that has nothing to do with game balance and everything to do with very broken network performance.

Starpoint gemini 2 and warlords both have carriers and an emphasis on capital ship (no playable "fighter", the smaller ship is a corvette). Warlords have a much bigger 4X aspect than SPG2.
X4 also have capital ships and corvette, but they are not made for your "average" play (they are extremely slow and turn like a capital ship would turn). Still you can have a smaller ship with 2ish crew members aboard (if you want to), and they can sometimes have a fighter with them. All playable.

I love carrier and drone carrier to. But ED put a very big emphasis on "fighters" instead of capital ship, so don't expect carrier play. Still, would love some work on multicrew, allowing 2fighters at once (like for player multicrew), even allowing them to be on the bridge, and perhaps on the ground to. Ease the xp and creds penalty for them to accomodate for a bigger number of crews.

I think you have a wrong game buddy. Sounds like your looking for a strategy game and you would like to sit back and command your army. This is not that type of a game.
Maybe you should try Homeworld.

I think you have a wrong game buddy. Sounds like your looking for a strategy game and you would like to sit back and command your army. This is not that type of a game.
Maybe you should try Homeworld.
He want to play a carrier like others game do. Which is something I understand because I like that kind of gameplay. It's not about being a strategy game, just like playing a pet class (like a necromancer) in a RPG isn't. It's just a different way to play.

He want to play a carrier like others game do. Which is something I understand because I like that kind of gameplay. It's not about being a strategy game, just like playing a pet class (like a necromancer) in a RPG isn't. It's just a different way to play.
Then OP needs to get some friends together and pray to the multicrew gods.

I did this with my Cutter and 2 wingmen in SLFs and it was a fun time.

Then OP needs to get some friends together and pray to the multicrew gods.

I did this with my Cutter and 2 wingmen in SLFs and it was a fun time.
It's different. Playing carrier is basically replacing guns by AI pet, to make it super simple to understand. It's the pet class of RPGs.
Playing with friends is different, you can be a pet class and play with friends, you can't be a pet class without AI pets.

I'm sure it was fun, but you are suggesting someone who like apple to eat a pineapple because it was good. Essentially.

Top Bottom