To Solo Play Players: If You Could Disable PVP, Would You Play in Open Play Mode Instead?

So can SPEAR check system for persons who can destroy players for fun in open play and try to fight with them while other players with explore data came to station?
Doesn't usually work like that they can use bots to track where known CMDR's are and what bounties they have, what system they were last seen in. In the meantime if your wondering around in open in an explorer build with loads of data I would suggest switching modes until you sell it. Funnily enough I was looking at the Bot the other day and 2 of the SPEAR CMDR's I know were wanted with bounties so there you go.

To me those seem to be "reasonz" aka excuse for "I want to blast easy target, because that surely irritates its owner"
My reference was to hostile activities... enemy is enemy, any target is valid no matter what. And let who's eventually involved to judge if it is "easy" or not... (I bypass the common misconception about "irritation" as it is completely unrelevant).

My reference was to hostile activities... enemy is enemy, any target is valid no matter what. And let who's eventually involved to judge if it is "easy" or not... (I bypass the common misconception about "irritation" as it is completely unrelevant).
How do you know I'm an enemy? Maybe I'm in your system just to repair my ship after a long journey in the black? You don't know. Your reazonz are just fake stuff. Basically you are sayin ship go boom---fun. Regardless that ship that goes boom may mean = year of hard work....."Hey take it easy don't call me with nasty names its just pixels"

SPEAR is relatively useful in CGs because they distract gankers, so that traders can fly mostly unharmed. I don't think they do special retaliation for a killed cmdr. If you want to have a specific cmdr killed and know that is was you who triggered this... There are groups/squadrons out there that will do this job for a payment.
All sounds like it's sort of trying to work out well. Causing trouble in one spot should attract trouble in return, players fighting over control of it a good outcome. But it all seems to actually add up to not working out all that well; the combination of a lack of consequences that bothers experienced players and, perhaps ironically, the ease of avoiding anyone who's a nuisance mean it's all rather random.

Oddly enough also them hanging around in CGs and Deciat points towards the right idea - places people want to go and high risk accompanying them. Just not sure it's quite the right places.

100% yes absolutely I would, without hesitation.

I would love to see other commanders in the wild, have a little snoop at their ships outside the busy stations and CGs, maybe trade commentary on a chat channel.

But I have no interest in taking my slow old reactions and underequipped explorer ships into a place where someone with a kitted out military vessel can oneshot me and cost me a week of exploration data. I'm not looking for a fight, and since this is just a game, I have no reason to tolerate being forced into one.

What interactions would engage in?
Opening fire while targetting.
This would stop accidental fires (and also eliminate the issue of getting a wanted tag in RE sites because some security thought it would be a great idea to fly through your firing beams!).
That would only leave the issue of ramming: Players with PvP off would have no collision detection vs a player with PvP on.

100% yes absolutely I would, without hesitation.

I would love to see other commanders in the wild, have a little snoop at their ships outside the busy stations and CGs, maybe trade commentary on a chat channel.

But I have no interest in taking my slow old reactions and underequipped explorer ships into a place where someone with a kitted out military vessel can oneshot me and cost me a week of exploration data. I'm not looking for a fight, and since this is just a game, I have no reason to tolerate being forced into one.
You can take a small ship into a CG station and sit on a pad if you like to watch the ships. (Or stand in the bar if you have Odyssey). Just don't do it in a large ship, we need the pads.

FD should fix crime and punishment system for player killers
Oof! Be careful for what you ask for. The last time players said the above Fdev screwed the entire player base by updating punishment (they called it a Crime & Punishment update but didn't actually change anything about the crime bit) which didn't deter gankers one little bit but did adversely affect all the other players with the current system.

How do you know I'm an enemy? Maybe I'm in your system just to repair my ship after a long journey in the black? You don't know. Your reazonz are just fake stuff. Basically you are sayin ship go boom---fun. Regardless that ship that goes boom may mean = year of hard work....."Hey take it easy don't call me with nasty names its just pixels"

A BGS oriented squadron may consider anyone not belonging to their squadron as an enemy as well.

From my point of view (powerplay): pledged to an enemy power... or belonging to a squadron pledged to an enemy power (both can be checked in game) or belonging to a unfriendly squadron in general, these are the reasons and are not system dependent.

Random players found in systems, as the example you mentioned, are always kindly checked via game chat.

Not picking up comms may be another valid reason (depending on the case) to be engaged (that doesn't mean ship goes boom).

Bruce G

Senior Community Manager
Really interesting conversation, thanks for raising this one. I'll throw in my two cents.

I can't see a version of Open where PvP can be toggled off, even if there are many who would like to play that way. IMO, it would go against the spirit of Elite and certainly against the idea of "Dangerous". It's also not easily explained through in-game lore.

However, I do sympathise with those who would like to encounter and interact with other players during their sessions without getting killed. Obviously there are private groups for that, but it's understandably not quite same since you could only meet people you already know.

Overall, I think the solution to this would be better coming from adjustments to the crime and punishment system to make sure there are meaningful risks/deterrents in place for non-consensual PvP encounters rather than from a binary PvP on/off toggle.

Top Bottom