Too much mining ingame (carrier tritium)

How much tons/h is the bottleneck?

depends on your ship (number of medium mining lasers and active collectors) and % of material. and how much time you spend prospecting and travelling. but i guesstimate 192 tons per 45 minutes the bottleneck for a python (maximum cargo), and around 550 for a corvette (conda has less cargo, so less), which won't change if you increase the yield to even 50% tritium in any rock in a ring. not enough for my liking.

Why not simply add a different Type of Fuel Scoop for "Player controlled Ships" that you can use
to scoop special Types of Stars, like a mix of Fuel Scoop and refinery.
So you just pick your Fuel-Tanker and hop to the neccessary star to slowly fill the cargo hold with tritium.
To prevent exploiting, maybe Tritium should be changed to Materials instead Commodities.

Why not simply add a different Type of Fuel Scoop for "Player controlled Ships" that you can use
to scoop special Types of Stars, like a mix of Fuel Scoop and refinery.
So you just pick your Fuel-Tanker and hop to the neccessary star to slowly fill the cargo hold with tritium.
To prevent exploiting, maybe Tritium should be changed to Materials instead Commodities.
been mentioned many times, by many different people, since carriers were first in Beta.... totally ignored, like most good player suggestions in game..

I ask the developers to simply reconsider the way we aquire tritium.
Mining should not be the way.
Mining takes time. Alot of time. Time is the one thing we don't have alot of.
Please consider another method which does not require explorers to mine for months on end in order to progress in deep space with their carrier.
Mining is supposed to be a choice.
Personally I don't like it. I'm guessing alot of cmdrs feel the same way.
We don't have to own carriers I get that. But you sold 13000 of them with arx profit to boot..so how about some players love, and have a rethinking session & fix this.
It's not the fuel. Or indeed the price.
I just object to too much if any, MINING.
Got any suggestions?

The refinery idea. Perhaps a ground based one. That you assemble on a moon and it punches into the crust siphons out the relevant elements and distills into fuel. Takes a whiles.. many days to fill the 20000+ capacity.
Just one thought.

Ok, so i (still) dont have a carrier yet, still making credits to get one..and im sure this has been mentioned before, but wouldnt it be an idea to have a module you can fit to the carrrier with crew that could 'mine trit behind the scenes' and put it straight into your fuel tank. (is their even a fuel tank on an fc?!?) You cant take the trit out, only go in, and the mining would not be at a rapid pace so you would still need to mine a bit to top up quicker. I dont know, just a thought, and as i said if it has been mentioned before then please ignore me!

@OP

EZ fix

Don't buy a bare FC and expect to fill that shet up completely full with 25,000 tons of tritium. Just buy one and put on its services/equip some ship parts stock on there and maybe a ship salesman module

The problem isn't the tritium it's what we have to do to get it. From my point of view it's their intention for fuel to be hard won in the black. Namely by mining. And that's the problem.
To make it hard to get they've used the mining mechanic which I think is a step too far towards Elite Miner.
I don't wanna play 80% mining cos l wanna run a fc exploring. I'd rather spend 3 or 4 days exploring a system or 3 whilst my refinery on a moon near the carrier doggedly refines fuel.
Net result is the same...days spent waiting...but at least you can do something more constructive ala exploration or collecting mats for engineering/jumponium

The problem isn't the tritium it's what we have to do to get it. From my point of view it's their intention for fuel to be hard won in the black. Namely by mining. And that's the problem.
To make it hard to get they've used the mining mechanic which I think is a step too far towards Elite Miner.
I don't wanna play 80% mining cos l wanna run a fc exploring. I'd rather spend 3 or 4 days exploring a system or 3 whilst my refinery on a moon near the carrier doggedly refines fuel.
Net result is the same...days spent waiting...but at least you can do something more constructive ala exploration or collecting mats for engineering.
Mining has been fixed since monday.

Just because you can't mine out 4 billion credits worth of ore in a triple hotspot in less than 5 minutes DOES NOT mean that mining is intentionally meant to take forever.

My thoughts on the whole thing.

FC's were a game mechanic to encourage interactive gameplay among Cmdr's. 1 FC being used by many multiples, all working to fuel it and move, among other things.

I don't think they ever envisaged the 13,000+ FC's in game when it was a proposed because of the expense of obtaining one.
When hotspots we added prior to this, I think the triple/double overlaps were a mistake. By the time they really realised the size of the issue, it was too late. So they tweaked the hotspots, but the billions rush was too far down the line.

So they introduce the Tritium, and the galaxy goes mental. The very same issue of supply, demand and price hit the game, just like LTD's and VO's before it.
So they tweak again.

And now, your left with a FC and Tritium supply/demand puzzle that isn't a puzzle because that's how it was intended. The problem .... 13,000+ FC's in the game that should never have been there. Far too many Cmdr's owning one, too few Cmdr's interacting to fuel them all. Hence the de-comissioning rate in Clolonia, and I bet you find them lots of them back in the bubble buying another to just leave it in the bubble.

FD have always shown a lack of foresight regarding this game and its development. No Universal Carto on FC's is but a shining example of such. Yes we got it. Only because we kicked and screamed.
But to fail to see that requirement in the first place?

I don't wanna do a blame game hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Just want a fair non mining way to get tritium
I'm totally with you but there's all too much like this in the game already and I don't think it'll change much.

If you want to do synthesis or engineering (and so, if you want to build a ship or just try a different set up or even just a single module and want to keep your ship competitive) then you need materials and you have a finite list of ways to get them. They all take time, some significantly so. None can be bought. Your alternative methods (material trader) still demands you pick one or more methods to obtain materials. Some might be more efficient overall but still require extended time (that never goes away unless you stop using synthesis or engineers) and in many cases you probably won't enjoy doing all of them. Not a lot anyway.

The thing that's good about using credits as an alternative is you can opt to do almost anything you like to achieve them. But fdev have made it very clear that they're not keen to allow credits as the answer for many things and so you're back to the forced activity solution.

One of the most elegant game designs in ED is fuel and fuel scoops. It's extremely rare to read any complaints about this feature because it's designed so well and the balance between the various options you have is pretty much near perfect but, ultimately, you either pay up for fuel and spend time cruising to get fuel or you scoop. Both options have positives and negatives but switching between them is not difficult and scooping is fun enough.

For explorers, scooping is the only option. Had scooping never existed and the only way we'd be able to fuel would have been mining, exploration wouldn't be nearly as fun as it can be.

Sure, it'd be more exclusive. But would it be better?

I personally think the aversion to using credits as a way to apply cost is just nonsense if its so liberally enforced as it is in this game.

So, fine. You can buy tritium in the bubble or mine for it - this is fine enough in itself. And sure, mining is required to obtain tritium outside of the bubble. Also makes sense enough.

But we have a crew. Everything they do is funded by credits. Why can't we pay mining crew to source fuel for us so long as we sit in a system with rings that we've discovered?

This won’t get away from the mining bind, but how about a breeder reactor module for the carriers? Add lithium to the breeder and it increases the jump efficiency by X amount. Set the ratios up so you can buy enough lithium for your expedition before you head into the black and mine your tritium fuel as you travel. Say 1 unit lithium per jump and you jump efficiency is doubled. Run out of lithium on the way, mine it.

I've asked before and I'll ask again, let our fleet carriers run on regular hydrogen but with reduced jump range on this non-enhanced fuel. Then we could just fuel scoop our fuel. Even if we had to use our regular ships (say a T9 filled with fuel tanks) to scoop the fuel and transfer it to the FC, I'd much rather this than mining to refuel. Tritium could be reserved for those long-range 500 LY jumps that we really don't "need" except in certain exploration and "git there quick" scenarios.

I would actually enjoy building a proper "oil tanker" out of a T9!

Top Bottom