Too Much Visitors

Okay some of you seem to not understand the idea. What I ment was that if your zoo has 1000 visitors. Render only 250, bit stil make the game think and behave like there is 1000.

This way we all get an extreme fps boost and no capital lost, because even though we see 250 visitors, in actuallity there is 1000

Okay some of you seem to not understand the idea. What I ment was that if your zoo has 1000 visitors. Render only 250, bit stil make the game think and behave like there is 1000.

This way we all get an extreme fps boost and no capital lost, because even though we see 250 visitors, in actuallity there is 1000
Yeah I think some people are getting confused. At the end of the day the guests you see in the park are nothing but a visual embodiment of the underlying simulation. That simulation can still run for however many guests there are, but only render every X of them as visual entities.

This is a big problem. Please, let us set a limit of guests, or make it so as @Sparky862 says - because my PC has started to have big slowdowns when I have 4000 guests.

The game should encourage the player to spend more and more time in the zoo. Currently, it, unfortunately, does the opposite - with more guests, FPS becomes lower and lower.

Considering one thing to be aware of is having your staff easy acces to the places they need to be and not getting stuck in the crowd (hence the use of staff paths) I get why visitors don’t phase through each other or to not have them rendered. It would be weird having your staff visually stuck and not see why.

Last edited:
I like the idea of having an option in settings for this. Personally I hated how on zoo tycoon 2 they had a very small limit of guests it didn’t make sense for such a big zoo, so I would hate to see a limit like that put on this game, so either an option to hide guests or perhaps a max guests option like 500, 1000, 2500, 5000 or unlimited for those with fps issues

ZT2 had a selection of filters that could hide plants/trees, scenery and guests. Would be nice to see a similar mechanic here.

I would hide guests for sure if it was an option. Don't need to see them unless I'm checking their neediness meters - rather have better game performance.

Just playing the tutorial levels now and the park had 3500 guests, and I only got 15-25 fps. Changing the graphics from Ultra to Low made no difference on the fps lol
This is the same issue as with planet coaster, I just tried out my old park there and I got the same fps issue with 3500 guests. Would hope Frontier can make changes to the game to only render 500-1000 at a time.
If not then we need a limit on how many guests the park can accept, because it was not very playable imo

My specs is
RTX 2080 TI
Threadripper 1950x
32 GB RAM

And the CPU and GPU was not even running at more than 40%...

Just playing the tutorial levels now and the park had 3500 guests, and I only got 15-25 fps. Changing the graphics from Ultra to Low made no difference on the fps lol
This is the same issue as with planet coaster, I just tried out my old park there and I got the same fps issue with 3500 guests. Would hope Frontier can make changes to the game to only render 500-1000 at a time.
If not then we need a limit on how many guests the park can accept, because it was not very playable imo

My specs is
RTX 2080 TI
Threadripper 1950x
32 GB RAM

And the CPU and GPU was not even running at more than 40%...

This seems to be far too less for the system. I'm running those scenarios between 35 and 45 FPS with a Ryzen 3700X and a Vega 64 in 4K(!). Try to set the Threadripper into Game Mode, it could be the case that PlanZoo might be able to utilize the Threads itself (utilizing all 16 quite well for me) but is constrained by the NUMA architecture of the Threadripper 1000 & 2000 series, which have to make some hops when they have to jump to memory locations of the second CPU Die. This increases memory latencies drastically and is especially a performance hit for games.

Sandbox mode with no paths for guests, and no info and food shops. Makes my computer play like on a sunny day. Sandbox doesn't need visitors and merchants. There is even an option to switch negative effects like unhappiness, hunger, death and sickness off. Almost no more staff needed. Birth is not necessary because you have unlimited conservation points. I say this with a smile, but I'm actually sarcastic. Sandbox with all the negative affects of franchise, but without the visitors would be great though :)

Anyway, raising the entree price doesn't help. It just stops the visitors in their tracks when the price is to high. It's not just a limiting factor, it stops them.

This seems to be far too less for the system. I'm running those scenarios between 35 and 45 FPS with a Ryzen 3700X and a Vega 64 in 4K(!). Try to set the Threadripper into Game Mode, it could be the case that PlanZoo might be able to utilize the Threads itself (utilizing all 16 quite well for me) but is constrained by the NUMA architecture of the Threadripper 1000 & 2000 series, which have to make some hops when they have to jump to memory locations of the second CPU Die. This increases memory latencies drastically and is especially a performance hit for games.
Better than nothing, switching to game mode in ryzen master made it 30-35 fps with 3500 guests. (Around 60% use of CPU, 40% use of GPU)
I tried the second tutorial level, it had 2000 guests and I had around 50-65 fps.

I also have 2 monitors so tried switching from 4K to my 1080p monitor but it made no difference in fps.

The game might not like my setup, or this is a combination of how many objects + guests there are in the level that makes my pc struggle.
Not had this issue ever on my current setup.
Thanks for your help

Just make guests spawn twice or three times less. In the late game, you have millions in your bank anyway. No challenge moneywise and no performance. Why do devs think that overcrowded zoo running in 15fps is fun?

Better than nothing, switching to game mode in ryzen master made it 30-35 fps with 3500 guests. (Around 60% use of CPU, 40% use of GPU)
I tried the second tutorial level, it had 2000 guests and I had around 50-65 fps.

I also have 2 monitors so tried switching from 4K to my 1080p monitor but it made no difference in fps.

The game might not like my setup, or this is a combination of how many objects + guests there are in the level that makes my pc struggle.
Not had this issue ever on my current setup.
Thanks for your help

Changing the Screen Resolution doesn't help because you are in a CPU limit, not in a GPU limit. 30-35FPS with 3500+ visitors sounds realistic for a first gen threadripper. The X399 platform isn't really well working for gaming. This changes drastically with the 3000 series of Zen CPUs since they've changed the memory and IO architecture of the CPU massively. But the upcoming threadrippers will need a new and expensive platform. For Gaming, you would have goner better with an AM4 System. You could upgrade this with up to 16 cores with the upcoming 3950X CPU (not necessary, since the 12-core 3900X already destroys all threadrippers up to 16 cores).
X399 is more focused on content creation workloads like 3D and video rendering and similar tasks but it lacks behind the mainstream AM4 platform when it comes to games.

Since Games and especially Simulation Games are depending on many different connections and dependencies between the threads and used CPU cores, latency between those calculation results and memory access is critical.

The game needs optimization, that is all. I have over 6000 visitors in my planet coaster game. I have incredible wide roads, so that may also be a solution. Guests don't bump into each other so often.
visitors.jpg

I never went over 500 visitors in my zoos. Have I mentioned that my zoos work up to 4 habitats and than go bankrupt? I suck at this game, but I am happy with multiple small zoos.

Yeah, it looks like that (unintentionally) the game punishes players for investing too much into their zoos. I mean, 4.2k visitors with only 15 species. I should forget about a zoo having all the animals from Asia to Africa.

Yeah, it looks like that (unintentionally) the game punishes players for investing too much into their zoos. I mean, 4.2k visitors with only 15 species. I should forget about a zoo having all the animals from Asia to Africa.
Try running a zoo where every keeper has a salary of 3500. The problem seems to be that they give themselves raises or refuse to work faster.

Top Bottom