Took on a Thargoid and lived.

I wanted to see what they were like, so I went out to Maia in my over-engineered Corvette to have a look. I found a Non human USS in Asterope, entered it, found one of them space squids and opened fire.

So, I lasted about 15 minutes before I jumped out, mainly from boredom. My modded prismatics held up pretty well. I had to pop shield cells to keep them up, but they never went down. the Thargoid's weapons have a bleed effect, so I took 19% hull damage and about the same to modules (except my canopy, power plant and data link scanner, which escaped any damage at all.) All in all, I've taken similar (and higher) damage sparring with friends with engineered lasers on their ships. The tharglets were annoying, but did little damage (and focused entirely on my SLF when it was out.) I got bored after running out of multicannon ammo, then high-waked out of there. the Space Squid has a mass lock factor of 30, but my shields held up until I jumped, and even then I could out-boost it in a Corvette. And it didn't look like it was taking any damage at all, after eating all my ammo. And the same goes for the Tharglets.

I have to say, I'm disappointed. I went out there expecting to die. I even brought along my weakest crew member for the SLF. After all the hype about the toughest challenge yet and all the dead ships in the USSes, I figured there'd be a few flashes, a swarm of tharglets, and a rebuy screen, like the old Godship days, but nope, just another turning fight with a big NPC ship. And I'm more disappointed that they're invincible. That's very cheap move, Frontier. They're not a "tough challenge" if they can't be damaged. I might just as well be firing at a pretty lookin' asteroid. Right now, I'd say it'd be tougher to jump into the closest combat zone and open fire on both sides than taking on a thargoid. You're better than that, Frontier.

(please note that I'm not in the "WHERE'S MY TYPE TEN!!!!!!1!!!! I'M LEAVING!!!!" entitled whiner's club. I get that Frontier is releasing content slower on this one, but it's just a cheap move to make them unkillable and call them the toughest challenge evar!)

You might consider that the Thargoids know we can't hurt them for now so chances are they didn't even unleash their full hostility on us?
If the first Flowership goes pop when the new weapons arrive we'll see what they really can do.
For now, yeah, they are a cool encounter but easy to run away from. Not the ultimate threat yet.

I think it's a good start encountering the Thargoids for the first time.
The community would explode if every non human ss would be an insta death.
The majority of players don't own a Corvette with Prismas and all the bells and whistles.
I was there in my DBX and if I wouldn't have waked out I certainly would have been staring at the rebuy screen.

Give the story some time to unfold, in the meantime if you want a challenge bring a less op ship, it's lots more fun that way.

Just my two cents.

Yeah, I've got patience on this one. I am interested in seeing how it all unfurls, just a bit disappointed is all. Good point about the modded 'Vette, though. I figured I might as well use it as a yardstick, you know? if it can cut my toughest ship up, then the rest of my fleet stands no chance.

As it is, I figure if I've got a ship that can handle a beating, I might as well put it to good use and load it up with research limpets. I'll give that a test later tonight.

Yeah, I've got patience on this one. I am interested in seeing how it all unfurls, just a bit disappointed is all. Good point about the modded 'Vette, though. I figured I might as well use it as a yardstick, you know? if it can cut my toughest ship up, then the rest of my fleet stands no chance.

As it is, I figure if I've got a ship that can handle a beating, I might as well put it to good use and load it up with research limpets. I'll give that a test later tonight.

Haven't tried the research limpets myself yet but they get realy ticked off when you deploy them, or so I read.
I might try them out too tonight.

Top Bottom