Newcomer / Intro Tool/method for exporting nearby systems from left nav panel to text?

Hi all,

Not exactly a beginner question. I want to extract to a text or csv file from the left nav panel. Specifically the nearby systems list. I know there are a multitude of player-created tools, and I've tried a few of them. But to my limited knowledge, none of them do what I'm after. I was wondering if anyone knew a way to do this or can point me in the right direction?
o7

Edit: want to do this to create a search pattern for nearby systems, usually outside of the bubble. Which means any tool that relies on discovered system data submitted to a database will have gaps. Hence why I want the nearby list from the nav panel.

Last edited:
A long time ago there were some tools which did screenscraping (ie, take a picture then OCR/optical character recognition) in order to extract system information from the game. These days we, of course, have all of it in the logs and life is much simpler.

But a similar approach could be used here. Use a macro to open the panel and scroll down one page at a time, taking a screen shot on every page, then OCR the images.

Hi all,

Not exactly a beginner question. I want to extract to a text or csv file from the left nav panel. Specifically the nearby systems list. I know there are a multitude of player-created tools, and I've tried a few of them. But to my limited knowledge, none of them do what I'm after. I was wondering if anyone knew a way to do this or can point me in the right direction?
o7

Have a look at the tool EDDiscovery! I use it, and it will do what you want, not as you described it, but similar.
The tool runs parallel to the game, and it has - besides a bunch of useful features a list of 'nearest star systems', configurable, and from your current system. Usually you can export nearly every table in this tool to a CSV. So this could be your solution, since the tool just reads the logs of the game in 'real time', as they are written by the game.

EDDiscovery on GitHub. Wiki and download.

... features a list of 'nearest star systems', configurable, and from your current system.
With the caveat that it only lists stars which have been added to the community database. Which, in the Bubble, is probably all of them.

Apart from that, EDDiscovery is a fantastic addition to the game, +1.

Ah, I forgot to mention that. I want to use this mostly outside of the bubble to create a list of nearby systems for a comprehensive search pattern. Which means any tool that relies on discovered system data is not going to do what I need. Unfortunately.

A long time ago there were some tools which did screenscraping (ie, take a picture then OCR/optical character recognition) in order to extract system information from the game. These days we, of course, have all of it in the logs and life is much simpler.

But a similar approach could be used here. Use a macro to open the panel and scroll down one page at a time, taking a screen shot on every page, then OCR the images.

That seems like the best options I'm gonna get at this point. Can you point me in the direction of a good OCR for this purpose?

My suggestion would still be to use EDDiscovery, but a different feature. When you select a system as your hyperspace destination, a journal event is logged with the name of the system. You can use EDD to filter your journal view to just that event type, then run down the list of systems in the nav panel selecting each one. You ought to be able to copy the resulting list into a text file and work from there.

To search an area, you can do the following:
Set 2 bookmarks at the opposite edges of your search zone.
Set route plotting to economic with a filter of unvisited only.
Plot routes back and forth between the 2 bookmarks.
You will eventually have a lemon shaped zone searched.

As long as each jump takes you to a new system, it doesn't really matter the distances involved in each individual jump

To search an area, you can do the following:
Set 2 bookmarks at the opposite edges of your search zone.
Set route plotting to economic with a filter of unvisited only.
Plot routes back and forth between the 2 bookmarks.
You will eventually have a lemon shaped zone searched.

As long as each jump takes you to a new system, it doesn't really matter the distances involved in each individual jump
I have a script that finds the systems that are known in an area, then picks the one furthest from where I am. Then as Dom says, eco route using the 'unvisited' filter on the galmap. Once you get to the other end work out the system that is now furthest away. Once you have done a few passes then the area will start looking sparse and you can flip to 'fast' routing to get the last few systems.

I used my method on the UA Bubble, 300ly across.
I never came close to finishing it, there are a LOT (in a large font) of stars in a 150ly radius bubble.

Top Bottom