Top 75% receiving engineered module means the CG never reaches tier 5

I think the reward levels are fine, I finished this CG in the top 10% and to be honest I didnt have to knock myself out to do it. If the top 75% are getting the best reward for this CG then I am not sure I see the issue?

Sure, hitting tier 5 would have boosted the amount of money everyone got at the end but even that isnt a major issue due to the amount people were making from turning in the materials requested.

For example I was mining bromellite in my T9 and turned in about 1,200 units, they sold for about 45,000 per unit. That means I made about 54 million from selling Bromilite alone, thats not even counting the low temperature diamonds and tritium that I also mined and sold.

The CG reward for top 10% was 40 million - so I made more money selling bromellite alone than one of the best reward levels.

I dont see how reaching Tier 5 would have been any more of an incentive to be honest as I dont think most people contribute to them for the money rewards, as tehy are often dwarfed as in my above example, more for the satisfaction of finishing higher in the rankings or for roleplay reasons.

Anyway, time to fire up my engineered combat Python for the next CG ;)

When FD started introducing double engineered modules as a reward for the top 25% the CGs used to reach tier 5.
Ever since the introduction of the top 75% receiving the reward...

Erm, not quite.

The first double-engineered module (missile rack) was for the top 75%, not the top 25%. It reached tier 4.

The second (FSD) was initially for the top 25%, later changed to top 75%. Both CG's reached tier 5.

The third (DSS) was for the top 75%. It reached tier 4.

The fourth (PD turret) was for the top 75%. One CG reached tier 4, the other tier 5.

This was actually the first CG I participated in -- not because I absolutely wanted that reward (I don't really care for missiles) but just to check out how they work.
Handed in 251 tons and was in the Top 50% at the time -- then dropped back to 75%, missing the Top 50 by 5 lousy tons in the end. :p

Either way, IF I was primarily interested in the reward, and the reward were only handed out to the Top 25%, I would most likely say it's not worth the risk (of putting in all the effort and then not making the cut) and leave it alone entirely.
I would have wanted the FSD if I'd known about it, but I didn't play ED at the time.

Since the missile rack, as a result of the CG, will be made available to everyone through the tech broker nobody has missed out. Getting the mats for it will take less time than most people spent mining for the CG to get one for "free", and you'll be able to get as many as you want. Just saying.

The one top 25% CG got absolutely pushed for completion - you could see folks were trying hard for it.

When the CGs also involve a profitable thing (bounty hunting at a CNB, anti xeno) that you'd be doing anyway, you'll also se huge pushes for completion.

Otherwise, either particiption remains constant (this suggests a cycle of people joining to make their contributions and then stopping) or it falls off (notable one was the material competition for the summit, since it basically paid zero credits per delivery).

The CG with a top 25% module reward advertised did have an unusual pattern of activity on it - especially the trade CG - compared with other CGs, with the effort required to get top 25% higher than normal, and therefore the total volume delivered by the people in and just outside the top 25% higher than normal.

This has nothing to do with whether or not most CGs hit Tier 5, though. The Federal Capital Ship trade CG, which didn't offer any individual reward at all, reached Tier 5, and took place after most of the module reward CGs, for example.

As others have pointed out, Frontier tries to set the CG targets so that the CG doesn't complete early, at least not by more than a few hours. A last minute rush to try to hit the final tier is more exciting all-round, after all. What's happened since September is that they've got a lot better at estimating how much a CG will get - some of the early CGs they massively underestimated, so they hit T5 in a couple of days. Nowadays they've got a decent guess at it, at least for most common CG types.

(It's quite interesting that CG participation is that predictable, given the relatively low percentage participation - you might expect that it would vary considerably from week to week depending on the subject of the CG, or the reward, or the type of CG, or whether it's happening before or after the release of Some Other Hyped Game but in most cases it makes surprisingly little difference)

That's a uh .. odd definition of "stopped". A far more likely explanation is the first half contains the weekend. The mid-week participation was pretty good this time though.

Not Factabulous, but it can be measured and stored and graphed. I'm doing it too:
jPkjriD.png

Sadly I only started doing this in December, or I'd show you the FSD one.

Wow it's almost like those two days with the higher turn-ins were the weekend when people have more time to play or something.

Oh, c'mon, in this CG the margin to enter 75% was literally half cargohold of bromellite, max 2 hours of playing even for total miner noob. Whoever can't do that really don't need engineered missile anyway.

Well that's horribly inaccurate. I fancied a go at this CG with my shiny new PC alt, and it was a lot more than 2hrs to squeak into the top 75% last night!

I started with a D-rated Keelback (all I could afford) with some pretty pitiful mining lasers & core gear, and pathetic prospecting/collecting capacity.

I scored big with a couple non-CG cores over two runs, so I upgraded to massive 96t 3-collector limpet AspX with 4 small mining lasers for the run in to make it into the top 75%.

I think your assessment completely ignores any new Cmdrs who might want try and get into the top 75%. Or do they not deserve a chance?

My alt doesn't have a ship for the missiles yet, but they're there waiting, and I made good progress on Selene.

When FD started introducing double engineered modules as a reward for the top 25% the CGs used to reach tier 5.
Ever since the introduction of the top 75% receiving the reward the CGs never come close to tier 5...the only exceptions are the combat CGs that complete within a couple of days due to the insanely low tier 5 target.

The issue is that Cmdrs do just enough to secure a top 75% spot, then stop. There's no real incentive to carry on, they have their double engineered module, so why continue. Obviously there are the "die hard" CG participants that push on, but it's futile.
This can be seen in the Inara CG progress, where the top 25%+ have contributed vastly more to the CGs progress than anyone else.

There are obviously ways that this can be addressed:

1. Switch back to only the top 25% get the module
2. Change to top 75% get it and tier 5 is hit
3. Reduce the progress required to hit tier 5
4. Something else?

I'm sure that you are correct in some of your assumptions, but not when it comes to me.

I am a new player that bought a T-10 when it was on sale several weeks back, so pretty much kitted that out to laser mine 256t. And boy did I mine!
I did not stop and really tried to get to tier 4 but fell short (and honestly was zoned out when I finished - it was 2200hrs and the mission was finishing at 0700 the morning after, I needed sleep lol).

I got into the 10% and did not take it for granted - as I expected a lot more Cmdrs may well have been sitting on mined goods in their carrier. I honestly thought I would be blown out of the top 10% and just hoped I would still make the 75%.

I tried, staying within the 'it's a grind but I feel I will benefit from it' zone, so was enjoying the challenge/work.

I do not agree with your suggestions (apart from 4 of course) - If I had just done enough to secure 75% and then woke to find I'd lost out, then that is totally on me. I really don't see why something needs to change, I enjoyed the fact that so many could benefit from the free model and then have the opportunity to get it for 2 weeks after if they were unlucky. What a great community event. <O

Top Bottom