General / Off-Topic Top Gun 2020

There is something special in the design of delta wing warplanes. I was about to say fighters, but i remembered Convair B58 - a really beautiful bomber.
Always loved them, especially early European designs like Mig 21, Mirage III, Saab J35 but also the latest incarnations like Eurofighter, Rafale or Saab J39

For anyone interested in the subject, remember to check out French "Top Gun" aka Sky Fighters:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEe3xfWfkG8

Not a new movie but pretty decent if you want more realistic approach. Most of dogfights and scenes with the M2000s achieved with real aircrafts and just a little bit of CGI.

I remember "Les Chevaliers du ciel" during my childhood.

It was a television series and also many books "Tanguy and Laverdure".

Last edited:
For anyone interested in the subject, remember to check out French "Top Gun" aka Sky Fighters:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEe3xfWfkG8

Not a new movie but pretty decent if you want more realistic approach. Most of dogfights and scenes with the M2000s achieved with real aircrafts and just a little bit of CGI.

The French actually make impressive videos when it comes to fighter jets :)

After 2:39 reminds when I'm being chased :p

Me likes. Me likes much. Can I haz F14 though... uh nevermind, looks like I can :)
Probably be a CGI one then as most of them have been scrapped and the few that remain as museum pieces have been completely gutted to stop the Iranians from getting spare parts.

While I have to admit that the F35 isn't the prettiest plane, things could have been even worse if Boeing had won the JSF contract.
x-32-c35-1781-65.jpg

Anyway it's as good an excuse as any to add a pop video spoof of Top Gun using even sexier planes (Blackburn Buccaneer and Hawker Hunter)

Probably be a CGI one then as most of them have been scrapped and the few that remain as museum pieces have been completely gutted to stop the Iranians from getting spare parts.

While I have to admit that the F35 isn't the prettiest plane, things could have been even worse if Boeing had won the JSF contract.
x-32-c35-1781-65.jpg
But it looks so happy! How could anyone fight that.

Fighter Jets are just way too awesome. Being a jet pilot was my childhood dream (never came through though, poor eyesight). Its the reason I always enjoyed flight sims since my old Commodore Amiga days (strangely there were a lot more flight sims back then).

One of my yearly event highlights is always the Airforce anniversary airshow. Getting my eardrums almost ruptured by afterburning F-16 low altitude flybys never gets old. There's a huge yearly airshow in the UK, with ships from airforces from all over the world, that I've been planning to go to for years: https://www.airtattoo.com/

There's something about flying that is almost magical, it's a symbol of mankinds triumph over our physical limitations, a token of what we can accomplish and the barriers we can overcome if we follow out dreams.

Future aviation movies will be boring as fig, all air battles being done by unmanned drones, let's enjoy fighter jets while we still can. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom