General / Off-Topic Toxoid multiplayer environment.

So I've played many games online, and I've heard a lot of abusive language, in the old days it was text, you could ignore that, but as more games use voice, holy smoke! people are going nuts!
Today I only play IL-2 and there people are pretty civilized i must say, the same could be said about ED i guess, but in ED i haven't been much in multiplayer and when I did we were all
in the same clan or playing on Mobius.

Then Yesterday I started Arma 3 up and wanted to get into the Warlords game and OMG, they sound like adults (deep voice) but holy christ! the way they talk to each other was like, dude chill man. I can't repeat it here, but it was really abusive, Arma was once a nice place to go and play but if this is the new norm, I'm out!

I was a big Xbox 360 MultiPlayer once, Played alot of Battlefield 3 and Red Dead 2 for example.
Smack talk given by Angry, entitled, pusillanimous toerags was part of the parcel. The worst was from the posturing squeaky voiced 10 years olds.
But Grown men and children alike all acting like one and the same was commonplace.

People like to vent online, because in real life they are afraid to.

I was never a fan of PvP games, so I probably dodged the bullet, there as these seem to be the worst offenders. The only PvP game I play is World of Warships and there the conversations are quite gentlemanly, I have to say.
The only games I've ever played that had a voice chat are ME3 and ME:A multiplayer and there are also a rather nice people there. Most don't use a voice chat, anyway, but when somebody does, it's generally a joy to play with them and coordinate properly for once. I've ever only had to mute somebody when they either have loud music on or some other distracting noises (vacuum cleaner, children,...) in the background and they refuse to switch to push to talk. :LOL:

But yeah, I've heard some decent horror stories from Battlefield, CoD and the likes.
The thing is - you can excommunicate individuals, but the real problem is when such type of conversation becomes a norm in the game, which apparently is the case in Arma. It's quite a shame, to be honest.
Human speech is probably one of the most awesome, diverse, powerful and profound things in the (known) universe and it enabled us to break free from nature and reach heights previously unheard of.

Then again humans also have this annoying habit of using every tool and invention as a weapon against other humans. So why not language, right?
It's kinda depressing, yeah.

I know it was bad sometimes but this was really like WT...? I mean I'm not someone who gets easily offended, but name calling of the worst kind and threaten people?
I was just like sure dude, you do that and we won't visit you in jail like forever LOL

Arma is still a nice place to go, just not on every server. Particular game modes attract most of the toxic crowd. I've played on a few Zeus servers recently with some randos and it was pretty fun and civilized.

I would argue any public voice chat is going to be trash, thats where Discord and self moderation come into play.

Not sure if your on PC or console. PC in my experience seems less "toxic". Generally a pc is a financial investment and requires having a job. May or may not add some level of maturity. Then again like 90% of people hate their jobs so maybe not XD

I would argue any public voice chat is going to be trash, thats where Discord and self moderation come into play.
Funnily enough, Elite Discord (My first and last experience with this platform) was the most toxic place I've EVER visited. And that's saying something, because I've been a member of AD powerplay subredit, before.

Play the Capture the Island game mode for a mature demographic. Warlords is a dumbed-down version of CTI. Warlords is good, it's just the DayZ crowd that came over to Arma circa 2012 play it because it requires no mods. I remember when Arma was a unique experience, reagrding player interaction. Today it's infested with hostile angry kids that don't get enough sun.

Not

Not very well moderated then.
Yeah. One could say that. Or too well moderated. One or the other, depending on the POV. An official Elite server, though, so not what I expected, but I guess mods need to vent somewhere, too. They do a great job here, so I kind of forgave the arsehattery and attitude going on there. Still, I had to leave.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
Yeah. One could say that. Or too well moderated. One or the other, depending on the POV. An official Elite server, though, so not what I expected, but I guess mods need to vent somewhere, too. They do a great job here, so I kind of forgave the arsehattery and attitude going on there. Still, I had to leave.

Small point : that is not an official Frontier discord. It has Frontier folks who are members of it and all, but it's not something that Frontier moderate or control.

Small point : that is not an official Frontier discord. It has Frontier folks who are members of it and all, but it's not something that Frontier moderate or control.
True, I probably should have said it differently. What I meant was that the same people who run it here, run it there as well. (Or at least ran, a couple years ago)

The only game I played a lot of multiplayer was Red Dead 1. The language was ripe at times, nothing I didn’t read on forums elsewhere.

The 2 things that drove me mental on there were music and eating.

For some unknown reason people would insist on eating whilst using the mic. It was disgusting.

The music thing also drove me wild. Broadcasting music, always rubbish, through what sounded like a tin can.

You could easily mute them on there, not so sure how easy that is in more recent times.

Well forums are one thing, in game attitude is another. I don’t mind a tough language, however as I said when you attack players because reasons.....
I just can’t accept it anymore, I must say that I went on the EU server the day after and it was a different experience all together.

Well forums are one thing, in game attitude is another. I don’t mind a tough language, however as I said when you attack players because reasons.....
I just can’t accept it anymore, I must say that I went on the EU server the day after and it was a different experience all together.

I m with you on this. Some people are used to use offensive words all the time...comes with the "neighbourhood" so to speak. Its not directed at you or anybody in particular tho so I can either ignore it, be entertained, learn something or take offense. Some situations justify tough language, other times its annoying to me...I guess how I perceive it is dependant on my daily tolerance level.

Never really went into all this voice-over-IP-gaming. I started my gaming-career with MMOs so I experienced the degeneration of the online community life so to speak. I used to participate on server and zone chats but the amount of trolls and grievers increased steadily to the point where it was useless to participate because you only ended at the bottom of some jokes, be ridiculed or picked apart. Trying out new MMOs coming onto the market didnt help as the toxic crowd moved as well on release day so my online behavior in MMOs changed and instead of looking actively for people to play with I began to withdraw and focus more on solo-content. Groupplay was riddled with toxicity as well with the worst offenders trying to pick a fight or wiping the party. Years later I evolved into an online "hermit". I was friendly when I was approached friendly and generally tried to avoid human contact due to the past experiences I had.

Today I pretty much gave up on MMOs alltogether. I still play multiplayer games but reduce contact to people I know and friends. My development was text-only as well. By the time I was playing solo discord and VOIP servers became more widespread and even tho I have a few discord channels on my list I always thought it was a bit "useless" all in all. Great for raiding of course and if you wanted to coordinate but most people in those channels didnt have any interest in that and rather just shared their daily life or liked to talk. It always felt like a waste of time to be honest.

Nowadays when I play games with integrated VOIP the first thing I do before I even start the trial is to deactivate voicechat. I still feel that if somebody wants to communicate their actions are the biggest sign of intention and if somebody makes the effort to ping me via ingame text chat I m willing to open a channel as these approaches reduce toxicity dramatically.

well I'm not a sensitive person, I can take a lot, and I also sometimes give back, but name calling like Fgot and similar languages is just not acceptable, I play with many online friends, and we always keep a respectable tone towards each other, and if I need to play with people who are very rude, I just don't go there.

That being said, I'm not the one who was attacked, I rarely is, it's just I really dislike this mentality, in game or IRL.

well I'm not a sensitive person, I can take a lot, and I also sometimes give back, but name calling like Fgot and similar languages is just not acceptable, I play with many online friends, and we always keep a respectable tone towards each other, and if I need to play with people who are very rude, I just don't go there.

That being said, I'm not the one who was attacked, I rarely is, it's just I really dislike this mentality, in game or IRL.
I don't actually have a problem with language. I'm a pretty spicy person as well, when comes to verbal communication.
But I do dislike unwarranted rudeness.
When I suck and somebody tells me I suck (even in a very colourful manner :LOL:), I'm fine with it. I just hate (and immediately mute/block) people who are nasty just for the sake of being nasty. That just undermines the very core of a language as a means of conveying information.

Top Bottom