Newcomer / Intro Trapped in by permit restrictions.

First venturing out of the galaxy towards the outer edge. Passed through Witchhead nebula, running man, etc... Now on returning, I can't plot a route and hitting constant permit blocks. I'm earning a fortune scanning, so really don't want to lose everything. Anyone help? Thanks.

There's a knack to plotting routes out of barnard's loop.sounds like you got inside the zone surrounded by permit locks through sheer luck. Normally to get inside I plot a route to Rigel, and then plot a route inside a short range from there. Get yourself near the witch head, then plot a route using fastest rather than efficient, into the nebula. Then plot a route to the bubble from there.

Another thing that can be useful until you get clear is to try and plot shorter routes, the plotter isn't up to plotting around obstructions on its straight line between your ship and destination.

But as @SlickPBW says switch to visited stars only and retrace your steps.

As a general rule of thumb, although not so much in this particular case, don't forget to think in terms of elevation as well as forward motion. Add some, remove some, and the path changes completely, 100 to 200 LY either direction will often totally rewrite what your options are.

First venturing out of the galaxy towards the outer edge. Passed through Witchhead nebula, running man, etc... Now on returning, I can't plot a route and hitting constant permit blocks. I'm earning a fortune scanning, so really don't want to lose everything. Anyone help? Thanks.

You can bypass the permit locks completely buy going high or low, I don't know what you jump range is but I have passed both above and below the permit locked area in a 30ly T6. Just go straight down a couple of hundred LY at a time and then check the direction you want to go for permit locked systems, you will soon find yourself past them.

There's a knack to plotting routes out of barnard's loop.sounds like you got inside the zone surrounded by permit locks through sheer luck. Normally to get inside I plot a route to Rigel, and then plot a route inside a short range from there. Get yourself near the witch head, then plot a route using fastest rather than efficient, into the nebula. Then plot a route to the bubble from there.

You can bypass the permit locks completely buy going high or low, I don't know what you jump range is but I have passed both above and below the permit locked area in a 30ly T6. Just go straight down a couple of hundred LY at a time and then check the direction you want to go for permit locked systems, you will soon find yourself past them.
Thanks. I had started to do that before I posted this query. Maybe didn't travel far enough...

Perhaps FDev should consider dumping that wall of permit locked systems. It's been like that since I can remember and probably a long time before that.

I appreciate plans for the area may have been laid but it has been a while now with nothing happening.

Bit like Triton in Sol :D

Perhaps FDev should consider dumping that wall of permit locked systems. It's been like that since I can remember and probably a long time before that.

I appreciate plans for the area may have been laid but it has been a while now with nothing happening.

Bit like Triton in Sol :D

That's not going to happen. They unlock it there's a flood of CMDR, every system and planet gets scanned and mapped to an inch, 6-12 months down the track bases and ancient thargoid structures start appearing everywhere on those already scanned and mapped, how silly would that seem to players who have been to those planets and mapped them?

Obviously there's a good reason they aren't letting people in, I suspect there are already structures and stuff in there ready for future content, how else to explain the Gnosis incident? If there aren't Thargoid bases there why did the Thargoids attack the Gnosis so hard? (As in, this is where the thargoid bases in theory are and opening it up to reveal just empty planets at this stage would look silly)

A filter for permit-locked systems in the map view would be fantastic, actually being able to see where the wall is would help a lot with trying to go around it.

Seriously I have never had any problem going round permit locked areas of space, the people who have problems are the ones who expect the nav comp to automatically take them everywhere they want to go and simply refuse to use it any other way. The OP seems to be getting along fine and now he understands how to work his way around permit locked areas of space I don't expect he will have any problems in the future.

But how long has that perma-wall been there? Since the game's launch?

Doesn't matter. ED isn't like other MMO's where they can add extra bits of map. LOTRO is just doing this, there is an area between Evendim, Bree and North downs that was surrounded by mountains, there was really no reason for it not being traversable, except the landscape for that area was never made when they made the other areas, so it became a triangle of mountains surrounding what should be an area of forest. In regular MMO's this is how they add extra content, they just add new landscape and flatten some mountains to make a path in, even if it's 20 years after the game launched. There are gates in funny places in LOTRO that have been there for 10+ years, where you can see past them but can't go there because that area hasn't been developed.

FDEV's problem is the entire galaxy has to be generated at once, so all the landscape is already there, including all the areas where they have future content planned for years down the track, the permit lock is FDEV's version of impassable mountain walls in LOTRO, they are there for a reason, and that's because if they want to add future content with the illusion this content has been there for thousands of years then they have to reserve the areas where this content is planned to be added otherwise the entire thing looks silly to the players who have already been into and thoroughly explored those areas.

If your still stuck add me to your FL "sinister evil" I'll jump my FC to your system, and fish ya out back to the bubble if you dont want to hard mode find your way out :D

Top Bottom