News Trappist-1 Discovery's Impact on Elite Dangerous

Minonian

Banned
Back to the op? :)

Seems Like Stellar forge is Very near to the "Universe seed". And every surplus data input can increase it's precision, except the personal touch for gameplay purposes. We have a true modell of our universe right there! :D

Not 100% but it's checks out.

Would be sooo cool if these planets showed up as "First Discovered by NASA"

Actually I think this is a brilliant idea. They deserve credit rather than whoever can get back the fastest after Beta goes live. I imagine hundreds of players camping out at the nearest star system anxiously waiting for their download to finish.

As I understand it some of these planets are pretty close together, like earth-moon type close without necessarily being binary paired and there's also evidence of tidal locking. I wonder if the stellar forge can handle that kind of n-body problem?

Very impressive that the Stella forge is editable in this manner. Easy...?...or with some serious Dev hours applied ?

Flimley

Actually I think this is a brilliant idea. They deserve credit rather than whoever can get back the fastest after Beta goes live. I imagine hundreds of players camping out at the nearest star system anxiously waiting for their download to finish.

1) Beta discoveries dont count
2) The planets are already discovered, the current discoverers keep the credit for the replacement planets.

Tongue in cheek /

1. That would be something for the Explorers done then :)

2. I support the Trappist Monk faction controlled outpost. Make them warrior Trappists, anyone who fires a weapon within the system is subjected to 24 hours of irregular, off rhythm chanting. In solo.

Tongue removed /

I commend this idea to the upper chaps in charge.

When I was watching the NASA announcement and they talked about the system being 40ly away, my first thought was "But that's only one jump in my Asp!"

Great work FD and kudos for acting so quickly to make this addition. Stellar Forge sounds like amazing technology... we need a livestream and hopefully David could come on and speak about it.

Last edited:
In other news Stellar Forge is awesome. And in another way...imagine the amount of stuff we can't see yet and is still there for us to find one day...Thargoids included. :p

Nah. They took a different class of star in roughly the same area with roughly the same properties and made some minor tweaks.

It's close enough to a prediction though. The Stellar Forge's handle on mass distribution is accurate enough to say "there needs to be a star system *here*", then proceeds to put an ultra-cool star (Brown Dwarf, not Red, but to be fair to it, the Red Dwarf of Trappist-1 is so cool it's right on the border between Brown and Red Dwarf) with seven earth-sized planets almost right where it should be.

That is either blind luck or some really good programming. I prefer the latter.

It would warrant the brazen nature of your comment, if it were, say, a K or G class star with 8 or 10 planets of various sizes around it. But this is too close to be simply FD fudging an existing system to make it something it's not (in-game, that is).

Last edited:
Always nice to hear about these sort of discovers as well as a bit of the workings of Stellar Forge. It's also cool that they'll be incorporating the system into the game to reflect what we know of it.

In many ways this is the true heart of the game for me and what distinguishes it from other games out there. I very much hope to see the galaxy evolve and take shape as new game contented and game mechanics are introduced, such as flying a ship through the clouds of gas giants and so on.

View attachment 115074
Greetings CMDRs,

Following the discovery of Trappist 1, we've been seeing a lot of discussions on the forums and reddit around this. We have some news and who better to deliver this than our own CEO David Braben? Take it away, David!

---

The recent announcement of the discovery of the Trappist 1 system is exciting. The star, an M8 dwarf red star is right at the bottom end of the M class stars, so faint it is only just visible in the most powerful telescopes, and doesn’t feature in most star catalogues for this reason. Luckily, though, the system is almost exactly ‘edge on’ from our viewpoint – which means it is possible to ‘see’ the planets as they occlude the tiny star, and an incredible seven terrestrial planets have been spotted around the star by this technique, three of them in the ‘habitable zone’.

Even with Hubble, the fainter M class red stars are only just visible at 40 light years, which is why Trappist 1 is not in most of the star catalogues. Beyond this distance we can see ever fewer M class stars – particularly the fainter ones like this M8 – and it is where our procedural generation begins to kick in – supplementing the brighter, more visible stars.

The way Stellar Forge works is to use ‘available mass’ from which to generate systems – and because of this unaccounted mass, Stellar Forge has created a system with a Brown Dwarf in very nearly the same place – 39 light years away – this is only a little smaller than an M8 – and it even has seven terrestrial worlds around it – Core Sys Sector XU-P A5-0.

Interestingly the system that came out of Stellar Forge has a couple of moons, and a couple of co-orbiting binary pairs – these things would not (yet) be detected in the occlusion technique, as this is simply detecting the darkening of the stellar disc, but who knows, this might be possible.

Because of this we have tweaked Stellar Forge with the data from the recent discoveries so that the planets are now the same – and we have renamed it Trappist 1 – but the great thing is it is only a small tweak! We may still add a few moons back in, and this should go live in beta 2, and will of course be in 2.3 when it goes live to everyone.

David Braben

That is amazing <3

Top Bottom