News Trappist-1 Discovery's Impact on Elite Dangerous

Personally, I'd rather the system were already inhabited, or if we were given an in-game explanation as to why it remained uninhabited. After all, this is an uninhabited Earth-like world that's only 42 ly from Sol.

A problem here is that NASA's definition of an Earth-Like world is very different from Elite's. When NASA says Earth-Like, they mean relatively small (not a gas giant) and rocky. Mercury, Venus and Mars all qualify as Earth-like. I think this is a tad disingenuous and they probably do it to generate hype and headlines.

I visited TRAPPIST-1 in Beta, and Elite did add an ELW that looks a lot like Earth, but it is tidally locked. One side always faces the cold of space, and one side always faces the heat and radiation of the star. I don't see how this could at all be an ELW. It would make more sense to make this a HMC world. I doubt a tidally locked world is even terraformable.

But that would explain why no one lives there.

I started downloading the SECOND 2.3 was available. I have decent broadband - the download took 34 minutes.
I had parked my Explorasp in the core sys whatever system that became Trappist-1 in 2.3, and had a pre-plotted route to a systrem 25 LY away, with a station about 23 LS from the main star.
I logged in and spawned in the Trappist-1 system, and ALREADY every body had been tagged. :mad:

Last edited:
I started downloading the SECOND 2.3 was available. I have decent broadband - the download took 34 minutes.
I had parked my Explorasp in the core sys whatever system that became Trappist-1 in 2.3, and had a pre-plotted route to a systrem 25 LY away, with a station about 23 LS from the main star.
I logged in and spawned in the Trappist-1 system, and ALREADY every body had been tagged. :mad:

Well, saved me a trip anyway...

I believe that they just renamed the system and re-arranged the planets. Whoever discovered it under the older name is still the original discoverer.

Oh well, went there and scanned everything anyway, just for fun. Turns out it was just a couple jumps away from my home system with my DBX's ridiculous 50 ly jump range.

Just on my visit there and I find that the inclinations of the planets are wrong.
Inclination of all planets is more or less 89 degree according to Wikipedia. This is the screenshot with inclination differences of about 90 degrees between the orbits:
trappist-1.jpg

Last edited:
I believe that they just renamed the system and re-arranged the planets. Whoever discovered it under the older name is still the original discoverer.

I had scanned it previously, and only the star and some of the planets showed up with names when I logged in. The ELW is brand new, and at least one other.

how does stellar forge update?

Since Stellar Forge was created using the estimated mass of the galaxy, with currently understood models of astrophysics, with real known celestial data, to create an approximation to populate the rest of the galaxy... every time that real life astronomy and astrophysics has an update the Frontier team will put that into Stellar Forge? Will they update their algorithms based upon modified scientific principles as well? When they replace the approximations with the newly discovered actual data, will the entire rest of Stellar Forge then recalculate the entire galaxy? And by doing so little by little make the simulation closer and closer to a more accurate prediction of the real galaxy?

Can Frontier add the capability of E:D players to use the actual astronomical observations from real life observatories, et al, to do actual scientific processing to help find more systems and exoplanets in real life? This could be something else that can be done while jumping for an hour to get to some destination.

Last Day of August and more fidelity on TRAPPIST-1 has just been released.

Hubble Observations Suggest Water May Be Abundant on Outer TRAPPIST-1 Planets
http://gizmodo.com/hubble-observations-suggest-water-may-be-abundant-on-ou-1798675198

TL: DR 3 Months of analysis are coming in and based on ultraviolet transit spectroscopy, where scientists analyze the light from an exoplanet to identify any gases that may be present, the two innermost planets are likely dry as a bone, but the remaining five—three of which reside with the star system’s habitable zone—could hold large bodies of surface water.

Last Day of August and more fidelity on TRAPPIST-1 has just been released.

Hubble Observations Suggest Water May Be Abundant on Outer TRAPPIST-1 Planets
http://gizmodo.com/hubble-observations-suggest-water-may-be-abundant-on-ou-1798675198

TL: DR 3 Months of analysis are coming in and based on ultraviolet transit spectroscopy, where scientists analyze the light from an exoplanet to identify any gases that may be present, the two innermost planets are likely dry as a bone, but the remaining five—three of which reside with the star system’s habitable zone—could hold large bodies of surface water.

Thanks.

Too bad we can't land on them :)

Top Bottom