'Trithounds unite!' - Join the Le Guin Expedition

le-guin-logo-material-black.jpg

Expedition Summary

Goal: Tri3 Hunting and supporting DSSA carrier deployment
Start date: 6th August 2020 (dependent on FDev Trit fix)
Expected duration: 5-6 weeks
Primary start location: Rendezvous with Deep Space Survey Vessel (DSSV) Le Guin at or near Explorer’s Anchorage (XA), which is next door to Sagittarius A*.
Confirmed secondary start location: BD-22 3573 in the bubble via the Broken Limpet carrier. (For more information on this, click here.)
Roles needed: Explorers and miners.

As intergalactic exploration moves into an all-new phase, we invite all willing CMDRs to take part in charting new tritium mining locations and in potentially helping thousands of carriers take their first bold steps into the void.

During this expedition, you will help us find Tri3 overlaps in two key locations in the galaxy, tritium that could be used from everything to helping explorers reach the distant borders of our galaxy, to rescuing carriers stranded in the black.

In the second half of the expedition, you will even have the opportunity to chart completely unexplored space and choose the new home of the DSSA Glomar Explorer.

Sign-up Link

https://forms.gle/QduGXanFQgiQ3sez7

About the DSSA

The Deep Space Support Array is a project to deploy a network of support carriers all over the galaxy to help explorers in their deep space travels. These carriers will remain in a fixed and public location for at least a full year with repair and other services open to all. Beacons in the profound night, they will provide safe harbour for anyone in need.

Details of the Expedition

Le Guin Expedition Route.jpg

Stage One – XA – roughly 6th August to 20th August:

• Finding a Tri3 near XA would be an invaluable resource for all passing carriers.
  • You might even have the chance to name a crucial piece of infrastructure at one of the most iconic sites in all Elite Dangerous.
  • We will be supported by many of the CMDRs responsible for scanning thousands of rings around the DSSA Callisto and eventually finding an astounding three Tritium x3 overlaps.
Stage Two – Norma’s Expanse – roughly 21st August to 4th September:
  • We are the advance scouting party for the DSSA Glomar Explorer and are hunting for her new home. You could be the CMDR who finds her perfect deployment site.
  • This region of space is almost completely unexplored, and offers CMDRs a veritable cornucopia of stars and planets to lay their claims to.
  • If we could park the Glomar Explorer on a Tri3, it would create a circle of powerful tritium infrastructure around the centre of the galaxy: counting the Tri3s at DSSA Hayholt and Callisto, and the mini-economy at Colonia.
Stage Three – Scenic return to the bubble, hopefully by 13th September:
  • If we have time, we will stop by the DSSA King’s Pass and attempt to find tritium overlaps in their area of space.
  • We will take a scenic route back stopping at notable stellar phenomenon along the way.
  • We should return to the bubble by the 13th September if we do not hit unexpected problems.
Please note, there is no expectation to sign up for both operational stages. You can absolutely do one or the other.

Expedition Member Benefits
  • Take part in ED history by helping to deploy a DSSA carrier.
  • Hang out with a relaxed, casual, and friendly group of explorers and miners.
  • Voyage into unexplored space as part of a community.

Expedition Member Responsibilities:
  • Scan icy rings around Explorer’s Anchorage and thoroughly explore the region around the DSSA Glomar Explorer’s launch site.
  • Take part in group mining operations.

Discord and HUD

You will need to join the FleetComm discord and also keep up to date with the DSSV Le Guins HUD, which will be a google spreadsheet detailing all crucial messages and schedule updates and is currently being finalised. It will be sent to all partipating CMDRs in advance of launch.

The Le Guin Expedition has its own channel under DSSA deployment events. See below.

Discord Le Guin Channel.jpg

Transportation
  • The Le Guin is currently in the Arcadian Stream, having been working under the command of the Callisto to support mining ops for passing DSSA carriers, and therefore Le Guin will rendezvous with members of the expedition at XA.
  • The Le Guin is equipped with refuel, repair, restock, outfitting, shipyard and universal cartography.
  • The Broken Limpet have very kindly agreed to help fund a carrier going from the bubble to XA. This carrier would depart on the 6th August and take a scenic route to XA, stopping at a variety of stellar phenomenon on the way, and most likely reaching XA by the 10th.
  • The Broken Limpet is equipped with similar services to the Le Guin but does not have outfitting. You will need to fit any modules you want to bring onto ships and then transfer those ships aboard.
  • All expedition members will be returned to the bubble by the Le Guin. This should occur before the 12th September.
Sign-up Link

https://forms.gle/QduGXanFQgiQ3sez7

Let me know if you have any questions. I will do my best to answer them. Thanks so much for reading and I would love to see you all on an adventure in the black.

Fair winds, CMDRS!

Last edited:
I'm currently surveying the MYEADE and SCHADGAE sectors out in the Sanguineous Rim and Kepler's Crest and am scanning every planetary ring I come across so as to record all tritium hotspots. I'll send you the data if you want it.

Last edited:
I'm currently surveying the MYEADE and SCHADGAE sectors out in the Sanguineous Rim and Kepler's Crest and am scanning every planetary ring I come across so as to record all tritium hotspots. I'll send you the data if you want it.
Thanks, that sounds like useful data. If you do find tritium overlaps, the best way to submit is to check the TriPN public database to make sure it hasn't already been found and then to submit it using this google form. Happy hunting!

This will be a fun one! I’ll do my best to find as many Tri2/3s as possible
You'd better. And please make naming them clearer next time. I still don't know whether that Tri3 is called Wren's Nest or Wren's Rest. 😁

Not sure how much I can help, but my fleet is already aboard. I'm still at the DSSA Callisto though so don't leave without me!
Any help will be invaluable. Earliest possible departure from Callisto is the 5th, depending on how quickly we can refuel Deep Thought.

As an update The Broken Limpet will be departing from the bubble to RV with (DSSV) Le Guin on the 6th (probably) from BD-22 3573. The carrier is currently parked there with a ship yard for all those who wish to transfer their assets or act as (non disposable, I promise) drop tanks.

You can reach me both on the FleetComm Discord or the TBLI Discord for the voyage

As an update The Broken Limpet will be departing from the bubble to RV with (DSSV) Le Guin on the 6th (probably) from BD-22 3573. The carrier is currently parked there with a ship yard for all those who wish to transfer their assets or act as (non disposable, I promise) drop tanks.

You can reach me both on the FleetComm Discord or the TBLI Discord for the voyage

Thank you kindly to Matty for the update. I am delighted that the bubble to XA shuttlebus is now confirmed!

Just to add onto the update, we have now firmed up the departure time, as well as location.

Key information:
  • The Broken Limpet will depart BD-22 3573 (a system in the bubble) at 16:00 UTC on Thursday 6th August. You must be docked along with any ships you want to bring or you will be left behind.
  • We expect the journey to XA to take 3-4 days and include sightseeing of nebulae, neutron stars and black holes.
  • The Broken Limpet is fitted with refuel, repair, restock, shipyard and Universal Cartographics. It does not have outfitting, so any modules you wish to bring need to be fitted on ships and those ships need to be transferred aboard.
  • We recommend bringing both a mining ship (e.g. a Python) and an exploration ship (e.g. a Diamondback Explorer) if you can.
  • If you are willing and have enough credits, feel free to fill up your cargo with tritium and either sell it or donate it to the Broken Limpet along the journey. This is called being a "drop tank", but as Matty said above, it does not mean we throw you off the ship when you've given us the fuel.
  • If this is your first time on a FC, the golden rule is not to leave the ship during jump periods unless you have a long-range explorer (60LY+) with a fuel scoop fitted. The carrier will jump every twenty minutes, and lock down three minutes before its jump, so if you're not aboard you will get left behind and potentially have to suicide back, costing yourself a rebuy.
  • The FC captain will announce in Discord when he is stopping for a break, or to sleep, as well as stating clear when jumps will resume, so feel free to explore as much as you like during these times. There are likely to be some amazing views!
Essential link:
  • You should use this link to The Broken Limpet's HUD to keep track of the journey, and absolutely must check it before leaving the carrier as it will provide information on knowing when it is safe to do it.

Last edited:
I might end up joining for this, as well. I want to at least hear how the patch is taken on monday before making my plunge, though.

If I do join (signs are pointing to yes anyway) I will be doing a drop-tank of somewhere around 500t

I’ve dreamed of being involved with a community initiative like this so I’m a definite maybe, if I can find the right work-play-life balance around my busy work schedule so I’m a definite maybe (y)

I’m a few hundred LY outside the bubble taking my newly refitted Asp explorer/miner; I’ve sacrificed jump range for mining and cargo, and cargo for jump range so it’s not very optimised but I’ve been enjoying this new playstyle, I’ve not tried the mining before so it’s quite novel. I’ve also used the prefix DSS for Deep Space Surveyor which isn’t exactly original or unique, but possibly serendipitous. I’ve also got a partially engineered long range reconnaissance DBX I could bring along.

If I understand your bullet points, as long as I board the FC at the designated system inside the bubble before the scheduled departure time, and pay attention to subsequent scheduled jumps so I don’t get left behind I’m free to continue my casual playstyle and help out with a community project? It would be a great opportunity to finally get myself out of the bubble for some proper long distance sightseeing!

I’m on PS4, and provided I can commit sufficient time would love to coordinate with other participants and write a little bit of a shared story.

Godspeed CMDRs!

CMDR Achtung-Goomba

We'd be happy to have you Goomba. We'll be in our current system until the 6th. We'll be making a series of jumps per day before a 12+ hour layover for stuff like exploration.

A pleasure to help out CMDR, and hopefully the grognards can teach this goomba a few new things about exploring and mining both.

My AspX, the DSS Henry Bolckow has a jump range of just over 30ly, or slightly below when fully laden, and has a modest hold for 64t of cargo. It’s not optimised at all but I outfitted it more out of RP, as hybrid exploring/mining playstyle thematically makes sense to me. As for time, I could realistically commit one full day block of playing per week, plus the odd hour late night after work every now and then. Would this all be sufficient to assist the expedition?

A pleasure to help out CMDR, and hopefully the grognards can teach this goomba a few new things about exploring and mining both.

My AspX, the DSS Henry Bolckow has a jump range of just over 30ly, or slightly below when fully laden, and has a modest hold for 64t of cargo. It’s not optimised at all but I outfitted it more out of RP, as hybrid exploring/mining playstyle thematically makes sense to me. As for time, I could realistically commit one full day block of playing per week, plus the odd hour late night after work every now and then. Would this all be sufficient to assist the expedition?
An AspX exploring/mining hybrid would be extremely useful. Our biggest task is going to be scanning rings and hunting for Tri3 and the AspX is more than capable of doing that. 30ly range should be absolutely fine. You are more than welcome to bring your Diamondback as well, if you want to.

Feel free to hop onto our discord to ask any more questions, if you like. If you have trouble finding us, we're in a channel at the bottom of the DSSA Deployments list. And if you're ready to make the plunge, the sign up form is here!

Oh hey, the logo is a pleasant little surprise, and Lookfar is a nice touch too. Best of luck on your voyage!
My initial reaction to your comment was "how does this guy know what my exploration Phantom is called?" before my brain finally caught up. We had an amazing artist who goes by the name of "Wimmer" who did an exceptional job on the logo. And yeah, I was over the moon to get to include the reference.

Last edited:
An AspX exploring/mining hybrid would be extremely useful. Our biggest task is going to be scanning rings and hunting for Tri3 and the AspX is more than capable of doing that. 30ly range should be absolutely fine. You are more than welcome to bring your Diamondback as well, if you want to.

Feel free to hop onto our discord to ask any more questions, if you like. If you have trouble finding us, we're in a channel at the bottom of the DSSA Deployments list. And if you're ready to make the plunge, the sign up form is here!

I’ve dropped an introductory greeting on the discord channel, transmitted my application form, and laid in a course for BD-22 3573 to rendezvous with the Broken Limpet before zero-hour.

If I can load up any more tritium before I get there I’ll happily contribute my meagre cargo capacity to the FC fuel reserves (y)

I’ve dropped an introductory greeting on the discord channel, transmitted my application form, and laid in a course for BD-22 3573 to rendezvous with the Broken Limpet before zero-hour.

If I can load up any more tritium before I get there I’ll happily contribute my meagre cargo capacity to the FC fuel reserves (y)
Fantastic. We're delighted to have you signed on!

MOTD: 6 and 7th August 2020 - LAUNCH DAY

It's been an extremely eventful first day for the Le Guin expedition, as two carriers from opposite corners of the galaxy launched, planning to rendezvous at the Galactic Centre. At 08:00 UTC the DSSV Le Guin left its respite in the Arcadian Stream where it has been serving alongside DSSA Callisto helping to refuel passing carriers. Maintaining a brisk pace, Le Guin travelled 14,000ly over the course of the day and reached Explorer’s Anchorage at 21:00.

During this period, The Broken Limpet’s motley crew of both experienced wanderers and first-time explorers departed the bubble to a mix-matched collection of honking horn gifs over discord. Along their route, they visited the ringed Earth-like world of Cycladia, the picturesque Cat’s Paw nebula and the similarly beautiful Drake’s Ridge nebula, captained peerlessly by the enormously generous CMDR ESMatty, who has kindly financed this leg of the journey out of his own (admittedly deep) pockets.

While separated by tens of thousands of light years, the two carrier crews have been united by their singular obsession: the hunting of tritium overlaps. CMDR Xrevonx, currently serving aboard The Broken Limpet, made the highly significant find of a strong Tri2, at Drake’s Ridge, directly on the route between Sol and XA. We hope the find will be useful for any returning expeditionary carriers who find themselves several thousand tritium short of reaching the bubble.

Meanwhile, no fewer than four new Tri2 overlaps have been located by the Le Guin crew in just one evening. Our congratulations go out to CMDRs Crowlute, Roborat, Vacuous and Nathan Ex for the finds. However, through a bizarre twist of fate, one of our most significant Tritium discoveries may actually be a rediscovery. During the original Aphelion Expedition CMDR Crowlute found a Tri2 which was a near perfect overlap. Unfortunately, it may have been too perfect, as it looks exactly like a Tri1 until approached at extremely close range, where the reticule for a second hotspot becomes visible. We believe this may have led to it being wrongly although understandably “unverified” at the Aphelion checking phase. With this issue now rectified, Le Guin has jumped to the location of this rather exciting find and extensive testing of tritium yields will take place over the next several days.

20200613115923_1.jpg

unknown.png

While work continues apace at Explorer’s Anchorage, The Broken Limpet will continue its voyage north, hoping to rendezvous with Le Guin by the morning of the 9th August. We are delighted to report that due to the enormous generosity of CMDRs offering themselves up as drop tanks, as well as impromptu mining at the Drake’s Ridge overlap, The Broken Limpet remains full to the brim with tritium.

On a personal note, I couldn’t have hoped for a better start to the expedition. We really seem to have assembled the trithound dream team here, and I eagerly await both bringing that team together and redoubling the tritium hunt at Explorer’s Anchorage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom