Tritium mining is a bad joke out in the black!

Sort of unrelated, but I don't really like that there isn't any more Tritium for sale around 4-5k. Wasn't there a CG a while back that focused on large pad Tritium refueling stations? Why put emphasis on that if they're just going to sell at the same 40-50k price range that every other station does?

On average, Tritium costs more than Palladium and Gold. Is this an example of the market reacting to huge demand (every ~4k selling station was always inundated w/ Carriers)? Or is this just arbitrary? Maybe it's their way of trying to limit the amount of jumps and strain on servers, who knows.

If you want to mine tritium, be prepared for subsurface and surface deposits as well as laser mining. Those subsurface deposits drastically improve your yield/hr.
Personally I use a Python that is equipped for laser, core, surface and subsurface mining. It's has A rated, G5 thrusters that help in manoeuvring around spinning rocks and has a capacity of 224+5.
If you're only equipped for laser you're going to have to pass up on a lot of potential yield.

If you want to mine tritium, be prepared for subsurface and surface deposits as well as laser mining. Those subsurface deposits drastically improve your yield/hr.
Personally I use a Python that is equipped for laser, core, surface and subsurface mining. It's has A rated, G5 thrusters that help in manoeuvring around spinning rocks and has a capacity of 224+5.
If you're only equipped for laser you're going to have to pass up on a lot of potential yield.
Correct. The percentage of tritium from laser mining is pretty pathetically low, from a few percent up to 25% or so. Too slow to mine. Needs to be like painite, up to 60+%, to worth my time. Subsurface and core mining tritium, though is much faster. This is my mining Python, not a fast miner but equipped for all form of mining:-

https://s.orbis.zone/axak

Just tonight I mined an Icy ring in the Outer Orion Spur region that had a good many higher-percentage tritium rocks, two of which I screencapped:
WksF2rQ.jpg

While there were of course many low % rocks as well, most of those I passed on, and some I burned but didn't use a Prospector. The average seemed to be 15% to 20%, with the occasional richer rocks helping get my total of 225T in two hours. I was all thumbs with the SSD launcher tonight, can't say why, but I did hit a few primo rocks with all three deposit types that made up for my clutz attack. It was also not a very dense ring, average at best, so travel time between rocks had some effect on my T/hr this time out.

Wasn't there a CG a while back that focused on large pad Tritium refueling stations? Why put emphasis on that if they're just going to sell at the same 40-50k price range that every other station does?
it's a ... story. as others have pointed out previously to that CG, tonnage of commodities in supply is bound to population size (with some modifiers for specialization, how much of the economy is boudn to the station etc.).
so even before the CGs some did know, that it would lead to L-Pad stations not only selling at 40K+, but also only selling double digits of tritium. which is exactly what happened.

On average, Tritium costs more than Palladium and Gold. Is this an example of the market reacting to huge demand (every ~4k selling station was always inundated w/ Carriers)? Or is this just arbitrary? Maybe it's their way of trying to limit the amount of jumps and strain on servers, who knows.
the tritium price is bound to galactic average; the low price is bound to rare combination of BGS states - they are the outlier. so, no, the high price isn't an effect of demand.

i also assume, that the high price of tritium is a hidden cost for making your FC jump, so taking your conda to load up with something instead of jumping the FC to sell station is still an alternative in the bubble. I personally would have prefered to make the maintenance (jump-) costs more visible and higher, and make tritium much cheaper.
on the other hand such a model would have made exploration with a FC even more costly (as nobody in the bubble does that many jumps ...), and there would be no alternative even technically (i look at tritium mining as a only technically viable alternative).
add to that, that FDEV changed all hotspots to get tritium hotspots into the game - i guess they wanted to provide non-FC-owners with something else to mine and sell.

They need to up the tritium rates, since making money mining is no longer a thing, there should be no reason they can't up trit distribution, and the hotspots.
Not true. I still make money with mining. You dont make easy and crazy profits with mining which was not suppose to happen on first place. But you still make good profit mining if you know how.

Even your rate is still absurdly low, 100 tons in 50 minutes, so 8.33 hours to do it yourself, Get a friend and do it in 4 hours, get a full wing and do it in 2 hours. OR mine a money ore for an hour, BY YOURSELF and you can buy the trit outright. That's not right.
1 hour of platinum/osmium/painite mining = 800t of tritium as value.
1 hout of LTD mining (if you know how) = 1200t tritium value

Under 3,000ly to go, should be there this afternoon.
Look forward to meeting you there Cmdr, I should be online about 10pm uk time.
I've set the market to the highest buy price, I haven't set the VO or LTD lowest price yet as I'll wait until we are both online so you can pick them up.
I think I have 200 units of VO and nearly 100 of LTD's you can have for the cheapest price the carrier allows or you can pick them up for free if I drop them and you use collector limpets.

Is there not by now a trade system whereby carriers from the bubble will sell you tritium in exchange for other stuff you could mine easier (the usual mining billions ones)? They bring a hold of cheap tritium and go home with a hold of cheap precious stuff that they sell back in the bubble, never having once had to mine.

1 hour of platinum/osmium/painite mining = 800t of tritium as value.
1 hout of LTD mining (if you know how) = 1200t tritium value
That was the point i was trying to convey. The fact that in one hour can mine a money ore and get a full tank vs 8 hours of mining to fill the tank. Thats messed up, you shouldn't need to do that.

Last edited:
Is there not by now a trade system whereby carriers from the bubble will sell you tritium in exchange for other stuff you could mine easier (the usual mining billions ones)? They bring a hold of cheap tritium and go home with a hold of cheap precious stuff that they sell back in the bubble, never having once had to mine.
Sort of...

Except that 'cheap' Tritium in the bubble appears to have become very rare indeed! At an average of 50k / ton the sell price in Colonia would be at least double - remember a fully laden FC will use quite a lot of fuel making the trip too!

Top Bottom