Tritium sub-surface mining nerfed into uselessness

The yield of sub-surface mined fragments has been reduced from 80% to 30%, basically the same as a really good laser mining rock. The thing about getting more than one fragment per blast from the patch notes doesn't work. You get one fragment per missile and only one fragment.

Last beta I built a sub-surface mining python. Two drill missile launchers, 128t of cargo. It took about one hour to fill up the cargo hold in a simple hotspot and I would have about 10% missile ammo left. Now with the new nerf in place, I managed to mine 60t of tritium in almost two hours before I ran out of missiles.

From where I am standing, the whole hoopla about more efficient fuel is a lie since it is now also three times as time consuming to mine the stuff. Mining is boring and I will have to do it for dozens of hours for a single refill.

Have you reported that bug?

No. I just get a single chunk blown out with each successful missile hit. I shoot the missile in, do the mini-game to hit the blue marker and blow out a chunk, then a single collector limpet moves out and picks it up. The chunk from sub-surface mining yields 30% every time.

At first I thought maybe I needed to be more precise with the mini-game to get more but after a couple hours mining this way I am pretty sure it just doesn't work.

During my mining efforts during the 1st beta I found this to be the case - I only ever got one fragment per missile. I haven't tried this in Beta2 yet.

Strange, they said it should have been increased.
There has been posts saying from cmdrs, stating the sub surface yield was increased

The yield of sub-surface mined fragments has been reduced from 80% to 30%, basically the same as a really good laser mining rock. The thing about getting more than one fragment per blast from the patch notes doesn't work. You get one fragment per missile and only one fragment.

Last beta I built a sub-surface mining python. Two drill missile launchers, 128t of cargo. It took about one hour to fill up the cargo hold in a simple hotspot and I would have about 10% missile ammo left. Now with the new nerf in place, I managed to mine 60t of tritium in almost two hours before I ran out of missiles.

From where I am standing, the whole hoopla about more efficient fuel is a lie since it is now also three times as time consuming to mine the stuff. Mining is boring and I will have to do it for dozens of hours for a single refill.
Did normal mining in pristine ice rings and found 12 T in 30 min. Tritium drop rate is way to low and really needs a fix

I'm looking into this at the moment. Are you seeing multiple fragments ejected from a successful hit? (This will be more noticeable on the thinner, higher yield chunks)
I saw more possible hits, like can do 6 rockets prior its gone. But I think it was 1 piece out.

Ok so if you get a 25% penalty for selling at a players carrier and they get only 12,5% of that why would I sell at their carrier? And why would you not go in a wing mine the stuff sell at a high paying station then get a wing voucher!? And the buy the stuff to refill the ship? 🤔 the difference for the carrier owner of 12,5% disappearing even do they get stuck with the bill of the whole carrier makes no sense!? You should be able to make money off NPC 2 just the way it’s setup now does not make any sense if you ask me unless you look at it as an luxury investment for a group that wants to upkeep the whole thing. I’m mining oldschool for a while now and I’ve got 62 tons in about a good hour plus 👎 and indeed who is going to pay me 80.000-120.000 a ton then?

Possibly they will add stations building made using carriers later, and those stations may sell tritium too. Then all will have sence.
But current ones has no use outside "bubble" or fuel limit for both ways.

I did some more testing and changed hotspots, just in case I got a bad one :)

Same result though. Here is some extra information: My first mining test was done in Synuefe HQ-H C24-0 ABC 1, pristine icy ring, single hotspot. Then I jumped another 500ly below the galactic plane to Flyooe Dryeia WV-L C24-0 6, pristine icy ring, single hotspot.

Sub-surface deposits yield one 30% chunk per missile. A single deposit can take three to eight missiles total before being depleted. The chunk is always 30%, no matter the width of the blue bar in the drilling mini-game (in case that should matter?)

In the first beta each sub-surface chunk yielded 80% of a tonne. So even if the multiple chunks per missile thing did work, at 30% yield per chunk it would still be quite a significant nerf.

Surface deposits of tritium (with the abrasion blaster) yield between 52% and 65% but they are pretty rare compared to sub-surface deposits. There are no tritium core icy asteroids.

Thank you. Seriously.

Cynical me will now start the clock until it gets flagged “by design.”

Darn, I hope this gets fixed. The original yield was okay, why mess with it? Why?!

Darn, I hope this gets fixed. The original yield was okay, why mess with it? Why?!
Because it was lackluster and people were rightly complaining that 0.8 tonnes a missile was too slow for deep space refueling, so FDev implemented changes so that we'd get more per missile.

The fact that an actual dev (not a community manager) came into the forums to gather more information tells me this is a "Beta 2 patch 1" type of fix, rather than a "by design" change :)

Fear not!

I'm looking into this at the moment. Are you seeing multiple fragments ejected from a successful hit? (This will be more noticeable on the thinner, higher yield chunks)
I've only EVER gotten one chunk per missile, for any type of subsurface deposit, and I have mined quite a large number.
So, if that was supposed to happen - well that's been a bug since release of the new mining tools then.

Maybe while fixing this Frontier could dramatically boost core mining output. As it stands I don't do much core mining because it just isn't that much more advantageous than surface mining.

Top Bottom