Trying out CZ now

Good Morning all, well the piracy is boring as hell. So, I jumped into combat zones. Man I have alot to learn. First, I went in with my Vulture. Its got twin Shotguns to Grade 5 Double shot and quick reloads. I noticed that yes, I can kill shields quick, but the but it seems like the hauls are taking forever, then they leave the fight and I cant kill before they jump. So I get mad, I get my Vett, ITs full of Multi Cannons that are Grade 5 with Over Charge and Corrosive rounds, plus a few Med Beams with Long range. My question is this. I just dont kill things fast over say Expert Level. Now, I know some people say use PA and what not, but Im on the Xbox and cant aim for crap with the stupid controller. What is the go too ship and go too load out for Combat zones. Im not dying, but im not racking up the body count either. Anything will help guys.

Thanks

Hugo.

Yeah in CZ the ships are engineered.
Low less so, high ones more.

Compared to a normal ring hi res the ships are much tougher in CZs

Once there was a bug, which meant the progress bar moved slow. I spend an hour in 1 CZ and reloaded ammo 6 times to complete it

I use this: https://bit.ly/2UF18gt

Ships in CZ's are significantly hardened and there's not really any fast kills here.

This !
But remember, big ships agroo more enemies.
If you dont want to do in a big ship: Stay close to a friendly big one while in CZ and "steal" the kills from her. lol
I love to do CZs in my eagle and Im always close to friendly pythons and condas lol. I use multis ( one corrosive and one oc ) and a railgun super penetrator.

If something goes wrong, boost boost boost boost boost .......................................................and boost

CZs are now pointless, last one I went in with Krait MKII with multis and Beams. Ran out of ammo trying to take out a dangerous cobra, ammo ran out before his hull did.o_O Stick with Res sites now, much more fun.
Im glad im not the only one that had this issue. I had one Cobra that made me run dry!

• Like (+1)
Reactions: S~P
My CZ 'Vette build seems to have disappeared from Coriolis and I'm too lazy to re-do it. Basically, It was something like this.

x2 small rail guns with increased ammo and feedback cascade to deal with SCB's

Then I believe the remainder of the hardpoints we Multi cannons. I used fixed because I hate chaff but I'm sure gimballed are fine. I had them all overcharged with incendiary rounds except for the large hardpoint which had corrosive (a must in CZ's). The incendiary tear though shields pretty darn good and then the corrosive make the hull easier to deal with. It worked pretty well. I would have to reload the medium and large MC once during the CZ but the huge ones would usually last the whole thing.

I did use beams on a couple of the hardpoints at one time but I like my MC's.

I also took my hull tank Vulture to CZ's a few time. It used 2 large overcharged frag cannons one with incendiary and one with corrosive. It was actually very efficient at killing in CZ's but required a lot of reloads. I also ran it as a shieldless hull tank with some chaff and switching in and out of silent running. It was a super fun build.

EDIT: here is the Vulture
Another Edit: I noticed that build is missing module reinforcements. I know I had some on my actual ship so definitely add a couple of those when flying shieldless.

Last edited:
Generally those ships are very tough, especially their hulls. You will need something that deals high damage against hulls. Nice to have weapons? Corrosive shell helps them kills faster. Feedback casade railguns spoil their scb deployment. Nothing more annoying than those duracell Pythons or spec op Ferdies. The sooner they are killed the better.

I've done hundreds of CZ's as a part of my BGS activities and here are my most effective loadouts...
(low int.) Vulture - large fixed beam (short range + thermal vent), large gimballed frag or multicannon (overcharged + corrosive)

(med int.) Krait Mk2 - 2x med gimballed beams (long range + oversized), 3x large gimballed multicannons (3 x overcharged: 2 autoloader + 1 corrosive) / sometimes I swap one multicannon and take Imperial Hammer (long range + feedback cascade)

(med int) Mamba - huge fixed beams (long range + thermal vent), 2x gimalled multicannons (overcharged autoloader + corrosive), 2x small rails (long range + feedback cascade)

(hi int.) Federal Corvette - 2x huge fixed cannons (short range - massive damage, distro friendly & low power), 2x medium gimballed beams (long range + thermal vent) 1x large turreted beam (long range +thermal vent), 2x small rails (long range + feedback cascade).

Be careful in CZs with frag-cannons.

Accidentally hit any allied ships and there'll be twice as many red blobs on your scanner.

Generally those ships are very tough, especially their hulls. You will need something that deals high damage against hulls. Nice to have weapons? Corrosive shell helps them kills faster. Feedback casade railguns spoil their scb deployment. Nothing more annoying than those duracell Pythons or spec op Ferdies. The sooner they are killed the better.

I've done hundreds of CZ's as a part of my BGS activities and here are my most effective loadouts...
(low int.) Vulture - large fixed beam (short range + thermal vent), large gimballed frag or multicannon (overcharged + corrosive)

(med int.) Krait Mk2 - 2x med gimballed beams (long range + oversized), 3x large gimballed multicannons (3 x overcharged: 2 autoloader + 1 corrosive) / sometimes I swap one multicannon and take Imperial Hammer (long range + feedback cascade)

(med int) Mamba - huge fixed beams (long range + thermal vent), 2x gimalled multicannons (overcharged autoloader + corrosive), 2x small rails (long range + feedback cascade)

(hi int.) Federal Corvette - 2x huge fixed cannons (short range - massive damage, distro friendly & low power), 2x medium gimballed beams (long range + thermal vent) 1x large turreted beam (long range +thermal vent), 2x small rails (long range + feedback cascade).
question, here. Being new to combat builds, do your mulit cannons have two experimental effects on them? or do you have one gun at auto loader and the other corrosive? Please just clarify.

I've spent a lot of time in CZs with a lot of different ships and outfitting, and I have yet to find a more efficient CZ killer than my Chieftain. The defenses on it are honestly overkill, as shields very rarely drop, but are in place for any froggy Commanders I might cross paths with.

I can clear any level of CZ faster with this build than I can with my Vette, FDL or anything else. You can glue yourself to anything with the handling, including small ships, while pumping out close range damage. The Cytos make very short work of shields (no need for SCB interrupt when you DPSing through them so fast), the MC's pop Power Plants plenty fast on big stuff, and chew through hulls plenty fast on small stuff. I usually synth MC ammo once in a High CZ, and clear medium and lows usually with ammo to spare. It rarely requires more than 1 pip to WEP as well.

I'm currently messing around with different loadouts on a Challenger as well, and I'm sure I'll get it on par with the Chieftain no problem.

Don't get too worried about emulating any suggestions though, half the fun is in trying out different stuff and learing what works best for you!

Last edited:
Corvette, 2 huge eff beam vent, 1 large quick double-shotgun, 2 focused med and small burst with scramble, all fixed ofcourse. Condas die within a minute if Im alone on it.
I can see your issue though with a controller, fixed weapons might not be a thing. But that ship is a beast, and can easily take aggro from the Spec Ops until I manage to kill one of them.

I remember doing these back before reworks and they were endless. I would take stacks of kill missions and just have at it. The hulls are so bullet spongy now I can't spend extended periods of time there though, but its fun for me for a challenge and a damage check and I like some of the new mechanics making them feel more like battles and the cap ship variants

The spec ops ops are a bit over the top but a good gear check, I would have them only in highs (Do they spawn in medium?). I would decrease hull strength by about 20% and triple the length of battles in medium and high to suit my preferences but I'm not everyone.

Doing these with some people with no engineering spec ops aggro is a death sentence and can take the fun right out of it, some of the battles are hilariously short if you go in a wing and have a good spree. Cool changes and evolution but not quite there yet imo.

question, here. Being new to combat builds, do your mulit cannons have two experimental effects on them? or do you have one gun at auto loader and the other corrosive? Please just clarify.
Krait Mk2 has three large hardpoints. All multicannons are overcharged - main engineer modification. Additionally you can apply special effect to all engineer modifications and I used the autoloader mod for two multis and the corrosive shell for remaining multi - so two guns can fire continuously and the middle one applies the acid.

PS. overcharged is a power hungry mod, when it comes to multis you can retian good damage with less distro power by applyting the short range mod. Fiddle with https://coriolis.io/ you will see the numbers behind it

Last edited:
Not as viable for an XBox controller but I like two ships of mine in CZs. Challenger with 2M Rapid Pulses and Phasing. 1L MC with Overcharge and Incendiary. 1M/1S Rail LR w Pen. 2S Rail LR w/ Feedback. This one melts off shield fast and then I go for the power plant. The M/C will chew it up if it's a good angle and close, the penetration rails let me back off and kill the module from a distance. Armored up and Bi-Weave shields. I can take on 1 or 2 spec-ops together with a bit of damage.

Krait MKII - 3L Multicanon w/Incediary (corrosive just hobbles ammo so bad) but this tears off shields in a hurry and does good damage on hull. 1M Rail LR and Pen, 1M Rail LR and Feedback. This is not as tanky and I tend to run it more in a wing. Considering switching one to auto-loader because when reload lines up on all 3 it sucks.

For the XBox might switch those rails to gimbal beams or canons as I know careful aim is hard on those. I use a HOTAS and it's not exactly nirvana with that either. But nailing that Clipper / Chief / or Anaconda from afar with 50% hull left is satisfying. It took me a bit to get the hang of it and Ferdies or Cobras still really make it hard but it does help. Ammo is an issue though. I try to keep full of mats for at least basic reloads.

I had a great time using an FdL with gimballed multicannons. All 5 overcharged with 3 mediums with incendiary secondary, one medium with emissive and corrosive on the huge. Target the power plant, especially on the Anacondas and you'll be going through them in no time.

I'm on PS4 using a controller and I've had plenty of success using 5 fixed multis or 5 PAs, to the point that on big ships at least, I can knock out power plants. It's not easy initially, but it is possible.

My favourite is G5 Vulture with gimballed Frag Cannons, both Rapid Fire with Incendiary and Corrosive experimentals. I take lots of synth mats... Clears all types of CZs, only lost shields one when 4 spec ops were all gunning for me. https://is.gd/IUV9G7

I tried Overcharged Frags, but Rapid Fire allows you to take advantage of positioning without waiting on reload time. Adds a lot of jitter, but doesn't matter too much when you are right up their tailpipe. Be fast, 1 pip to weapons, get close, blast em, move on

Might try the Chief one day, but the Vulture is too much fun for now.

The quickest CZ kills I've experienced come from my Corvette with full MC armament, make sure you use one Corrosive as it doesn't stack.

Autoload, overcharged, high capacity as options. Something is always hitting. The only drawback is that the target needs to be at short range for best effect, optimally <1.5k.

The short range does make better use of your ammo. I synthesize basic ammo reloads, the capacity and effectiveness is enough that I can go through two sessions on one ammo load.

With Prismatics, the shield seldom goes down and it's backed up with hull tank if you want to be stubborn and finish out a battle.

Top Bottom