Any guess how many expensions we'll need to achieve our goal?
Sol is the closest target.

With perfectly controlled targeted expansions it could be done in 3.
With completely uncontrolled expansions it would take about 1000 on average.

If you obtain sufficient control to always expand from the system you're in that's closest to Sol (or, while in the process of capturing that system, somewhere nearby that helps direct future expansions), somewhere in the 20-50 range is plausible and lower is possible.

From Sol it's not that much further to LFT 509 - another 2 perfectly targeted or 10-30 with moderate control.

Lave is then in a completely different direction but by then you should know what you're doing.

Sol is the closest target.

With perfectly controlled targeted expansions it could be done in 3.
With completely uncontrolled expansions it would take about 1000 on average.

If you obtain sufficient control to always expand from the system you're in that's closest to Sol (or, while in the process of capturing that system, somewhere nearby that helps direct future expansions), somewhere in the 20-50 range is plausible and lower is possible.

From Sol it's not that much further to LFT 509 - another 2 perfectly targeted or 10-30 with moderate control.

Lave is then in a completely different direction but by then you should know what you're doing.
Thanks. Quite a task, but we'll do it 🚀

Somewhat unrelated but still somewhat related is the project to take on "The Club". It is related in the opening statement of this thread:
My fellow commanders. It is with a heavy heart that I must come before you today to put an end to the lies and corruption within the Pilots’ Federation. This once-venerable institution has been infiltrated and subjugated by a nefarious group of elites known only as ‘The Club’. For years the Club has, through its manipulation of the Pilots’ Federation, kept down all good independent commanders in general, and The Dark Wheel in particular, in their efforts to keep us from many truths — including the location of Raxxla, that they may continue to exploit its riches while we are kept wandering in the darkness.
While we may have our primary focus on "Turning the Wheel", don't forget that we are also against "The Club". ... Just something to keep in the back of your mind when making a choice whether to do something for a particular NPC faction or not.

@Erlaed has done an exceptional job in compiling all you need to know. You used to have to pour over pages of spreadsheets and discord channels but he has made a great app that puts it all together and easily accessible with just a few clicks. All outlined in the link below.

Remember, The Club is and has always been against the work and ideals of The Dark Wheel. The Club permeates all the major powers in this galaxy. If you have been keeping up on your lore, then you know that the majority of the galaxy has been covertly manipulated and is being intentionally lead away from the mysteries and truth out there. Don't forget the work of Salomé and the Children of Raxxla:
If you're scanning this, it's because I am dead. Frankly, after all of my tribulations, I welcome the oblivion of the void. My closest friends are dead, and I have nothing to live for. Perhaps I will find peace as I return to the stardust that made me. Know that this was my choice.
Some of you knew me as Salomé, others as Kahina Tijani Loren, a Lady of the Empire and former senator of the Prism system. I was branded a murderer and a terrorist, and there is truth in these accusations. I have made poor decisions. I killed, or caused the death, of thousands. To these crimes I freely admit my guilt. I am content to let history judge me.
I bring you this message in a time of turmoil. You have little reason to believe me, and less to trust me, but nevertheless I ask you to listen. Because you have been misled.
I was sent on a quest into darkness. I did not know what I was looking for. Many people assisted me, sometimes altruistically and sometimes to further their own agendas. I am grateful to all of them. Some, to my shame, I manipulated to my own ends.
My contact guarded her secrets well - even from herself - to ensure they would be revealed only at the proper time. It seems that time is now.
There are patterns of events. A tapestry, if you will.
Treaties were abolished, bringing us closer to the brink of war. Those flashpoints in Mu Koji? Engineered to fan the flames of conflict. Wreaken Construction was a beneficiary, with its naval shipyards. It was no accident that the share prices of Gutamaya and Core Dynamics rose dramatically.
The Empire turned against me, concocting a ridiculous crime and sentencing me for it. It was just a ruse so they could hold me hostage and access the exploration data I had. Ultimately, it was Imperial forces that saved me. At least some honour remains in the Empire.
The Alliance and the Federation were collaborating behind the scenes. Tsu exposed it, and they ostracized her and left her at the mercy of bounty hunters. The Alliance is no innocent bystander. They know what happened.
Scientists were bribed, discoveries were leaked and people were abducted, some never to return.
The Sirius Corporation attempted a hostile takeover of MetaDrive. They murdered the chairman. MetaDrive was developing secret hyperdrive technology and Sirius wanted it. Raan kept it out of their hands they tried to kill him for it. Meanwhile, the organisers of the arena catalogued the best pilots in the galaxy. Ask why you would want a list of combat experts...
Explorers are rewarded with cold, hard cash for their discoveries. The Federation tried to buy our service. We showed them what true loyalty was. That exploration data cost many souls.
Well, so what? That's what you're thinking.
You need to understand that these events were carefully orchestrated. Nothing happened without a reason.
I don't know the identities of those involved. If I did, I would expose them. I do know they control corporations, the military and some of the galaxy's most powerful individuals. Their reach is wide. You cannot trust anyone in a position of authority. Some are active collaborators, some are mere figureheads. Some don't even know they're being used.
And they are manipulating you. Those of you who trade, who fight in their proxy wars, who sell them exploration data from the depths of the void. They are using you to further their agenda. You, me - all of us have been their tools. They believe themselves the ultimate arbiters of humanity's destiny, above reproach and accountability. They consider themselves the true elites.
Factions and powers, economies and systems, even the arena - they're just tools they use to make us enact their will.
They have murdered countless thousands, pitilessly weighing their plans against human lives - the lives of innocents, of friends and family. They claim to act in humanity's interest. They consider us sheep to their shepherds.
They hatched a secret contingency plan - a comprehensive list of earth-like worlds and terraformable planets. We have all contributed to this plan. Only recently did we discover it had been underway for decades. The evidence has been found: a planned subterfuge out on the void.
They can no longer hide from the facts. We have found them.
Why all this duplicity?
Because they know everything. They have the history - not the sanitised version from the public records, but the truth. Those reports of strange ships in the void, discounted in the news? Believe them. This is the catalyst. The wheels turn and darkness will fall.
So what can you do?
Challenge the authorities. Force their hand. Refuse to be manipulated. Do not rise to their provocations. Make your own powerplays, organise embargoes and blockade the ports. Break their hold and force them out into the open. Blaze a trail. Visibility is the one thing they cannot abide.
Or do nothing. Be content to be a pawn in their game.
For those who killed me, I bear you no ill will. For those who wanted me dead, you have your wish.
For those who loved me and swore allegiance to me, your service and dedication were the brightest light in the darkness of my life. Do not let my death be the end of what you would see done.
My last request is that you always... remember.

— CMDR Salomé
... Man, that Requiem still brings chills... AND thank you @drew and the CoR for bringing such a thing into the game LIVE.

Last edited:
As the Wheel Turns:
Capture (1).jpg

4.2 % increase. We are now at 68.7%. The 75% in no longer over the horizon... it is within reach.

There is no one person completely responsible. No one squadron. The success of this is a multi squadron, multi faction endeavor and in this time of BGS turmoil where many factions are complaining of losing influence, we are steadily gaining it. Thank yourself for it. You are a spoke in the Wheel. It would not be turning without you.

I notice that TDW's INF is also still increasing in Shinrarta; it's up to 34.4%. Is it worth pushing that in parallel?
I push it when I am there. I don't focus on it. The problem in Shin Dez (that I see) is that none of the INF crossovers initiate conflict like they do in other systems. I am thinking that when they BGS locked the Pilot's Federation ownership there, they also stopped the conflict states. With all the murders that occur in Shin Dez, it should almost permanently be in a Lockdown state but that event doesn't trigger either. I believe (believe being the key work here) that Shin Dez has been removed from the processing of those events.
I still support TDW when I am there because I like to see them at the top of the mission board. I am not sure there is any other effect than this. ... All this is just my personal opinion from what I see. I am no expert on what actually is going on in Shin Dez.

I am thinking that when they BGS locked the Pilot's Federation ownership there, they also stopped the conflict states. With all the murders that occur in Shin Dez, it should almost permanently be in a Lockdown state but that event doesn't trigger either. I believe (believe being the key work here) that Shin Dez has been removed from the processing of those events.
The BGS lock in place on the system prevents conflicts - though since you're already in the lead that's good, as it means you don't have a substantial chunk of the influence pool locked up and unable to move.

It doesn't prevent non-conflict states - but the controlling faction for the system is the Pilots Federation which is a non-influence faction, and as the vast majority of murders are in its space they don't get counted. TDW is currently in Civil Unrest, possibly as a result of partying too much in the recent Public Holiday, so security states for other factions are possible.

There are currently no systems eligible for expansion from LFT 926 at this time. I am not sure when we should start looking to open a system for expansion.

These are the list of systems within 20Ly. We need one with less than 7 factions. We can push a faction(s) into retreat so I listed the lowest non-native/non-player (L NN/NP) faction's influence. I excluded player factions since we don't want to make enemies. Also listed it's distance from Sol.
SystemFactionsDistanceL NN/NPTo Sol
Nuenets73.58Ly40.5%58.5Ly
V886 Centauri78.72Ly8.8%54.0Ly
Arro Naga811.97Ly10.5%59.8Ly
Fong Wang812.14Ly9.8%69.0Ly
LHS 346712.39Ly12.9%52.6Ly
Gnowee︎812.92Ly7.8%51.7Ly
HR 4979︎713.09Ly7.4%67.4Ly
CD-33 8748︎713.68Ly8.2%64.4Ly
LTT 5131︎814.59Ly8.3%57.2Ly
ER 8︎814.84Ly7.8%48.2Ly
LTT 5212︎714.90Ly9.7%70.9Ly
LDS 413︎714.96Ly8.0%69.9Ly
Skeggiko O︎715.11Ly8.9%57.4Ly
LHS 332︎715.19Ly11.5%50.1Ly
Bunda︎715.51Ly57.9%72.5Ly
LHS 2813︎715.57Ly15.7%65.2Ly
Akandi︎715.62Ly7.5%74.0Ly
Eravarenth︎716.58Ly10.8%75.5Ly
Kunggi︎716.96Ly9.8%48.9Ly
Kipsigines︎717.16Ly8.8%70.1Ly
LP 908-11︎817.38Ly3.8%52.6Ly
LTT 4487︎717.55Ly8.3%74.7Ly
Katta︎718.89Ly10.8%76.1Ly
LHS 317︎818.94Ly7.2%54.3Ly
Aeneas︎719.27Ly8.8%69.8Ly
Anyanwu︎719.73Ly7.0%51.0Ly
Solati︎719.81Ly8.2%80.5Ly
What we do not want to do is retreat factions from a system too soon or someone else will take it. Also don't want to do it too late and fail our expansion.

If someone with some BGS experience could chime in on what our best options are, that would be appreciated. We would like the general direction to be towards Sol (if possible)

Note: I excluded Locked systems and systems with 0 population. There are several of each type.

Last edited:
Yesterday evening (for me), it seemed that TDW was more generous with INF4 & 5 missions, and quite a bit more generous with INF3 missions. Conversely, it seemed quite quiet in LFT 926; I didn't interdict any wanted NPCs.
Still, I managed 58 INF and several million in trade profits before nodding off at the helm and calling it quits (gotta squeeze in that one last mission).

Pretty nice if I do say so myself. ...and I only bounced off a mailslot once during one of my little sleep spells! 😴

There are currently no systems eligible for expansion from LFT 926 at this time. I am not sure when we should start looking to open a system for expansion.

These are the list of systems within 20Ly. We need one with less than 7 factions
You may need to check further out - the expansion range is a cube, not a sphere, so any system within 20LY of LFT 926 on all three coordinates is eligible - some of these could be up to 34 LY away (even though there will be systems 21 LY away that you can't reach).

If everything is full throughout the cube and stays full then you'll need to prepare for invasion: the good news here is that these may be easier to target
- pick a system you want to go to
- when your expansion goes active, quickly knock its non-native faction down to 1% (it'll go into Retreat, but it won't have time to actually Retreat before you expand)
- make sure all the other lowest non-natives are above that, especially the ones in directions or systems you don't want to go at all, on your expansion day. You'll need to do a lot of daily checking of a lot of systems after each tick - have a big team in place!
You'll then attack that faction to take its place in the system. Do not lose that conflict!

Ideally you want one where
- it's in the right direction, and by as far as possible
- the system controller is not player-backed
- the non-native faction is either not player-backed or is a player faction that wants out of there anyway.

Sorry if this is dreadfully naive but this is my first foray into using the BGS. Looking at it from the perspective of a footsoldier who just has to increase TDW INF asap here's my thoughts on other things to take into account for the target system:

Orbital stations with both M and L pads. Maximum potential for missions
Orbital stations within reasonable distance of system entry point. Need a quick turnround - max 5kls?
Vanilla system. Nothing in-system to especially draw traffic that will aid the ruling faction.
Carrier Administration in-system? I have no idea what effect carrier administration facilities have on activities...

LP 908-11 looks like a good bet to me?

Last edited:
[...]
Secondary Objective: To minimize adverse effects upon any player factions, and work diplomatically with any groups we interact with, to minimize any harm caused to them and try and avoid any poor relations.
[...]

I assume this does not apply to the Federation as well. After all, you are trying make a bunch of their core systems Independent. For an, in my opinion, futile endeavor. I don't think anything will come of this unfortunately, but good luck nonetheless.

Sorry if this is dreadfully naive but this is my first foray into using the BGS. Looking at it from the perspective of a footsoldier who just has to increase TDW INF asap here's my thoughts on other things to take into account for the target system:
If the diplomatic situation gives you a choice, some other criteria:
- low population (<1 million ideally)
- low daily traffic levels (the lower the better) so you're not pushing against other people
Carrier management systems, material traders, etc. probably to be avoided if possible as they'll probably have higher traffic, but sure, if you can find an obscure one go for it. As you're trying for movement, not consolidation, 'prestige' systems are probably best avoided.

One where TDW is no worse than the current system controller for the current powerplay bubble will make things easier (as a democracy, you're not positive for any powerplay power, but a neutral-for-neutral swap is at least unlikely to be opposed).

For Winters' space: avoid Corporates ; target Communist, Cooperative, Feudal, Patronage
For Hudson's space: avoid Feudal, Patronage ; target Dictatorship
(all other governments are neutral-for-neutral, so probably safe unless the Power is needing to strengthen that area anyway)

You may be able to get a Power to accept an unfavourable government if you make a diplomatic agreement to fortify the local control system for them when required (but that agreement may cost you a lot later on in effort).

Checking LP 908-11, I'd recommend looking elsewhere:
= population is a bit higher than ideal but about the same as LFT 926 so you shouldn't find it harder.
= there's a native PMF, but they've been there for months with no apparent success so they probably won't object
- Powerplay is Winters, who is Finance Control, which is strong for Corporates like the current system owner. Her forces may oppose a Dark Wheel takeover.
+ there's a bunch of nice stations owned by a secondary faction. This should let you get a quick foothold.
= it only gets you 9LY closer to Sol. Progress, but you could perhaps do better.
- economy is High-Tech/Refinery which is likely to attract a lot of passing traffic. EDDN data suggests that the in-system traffic report is going to be well into 3 figures: if so this will be a massive uphill struggle to take control
- it currently has 8 factions present, so you'd need to retreat one of the non-natives to even be able to invade it, and then get the other one low as well to make it an eligible target. That's going to be very difficult in the time available.

A 1.5% increase. Not bad at this level and we are now above 70%.
Traffic has slowed a bit. We are no longer in the Inara front page traffic report.
Capture2.JPG

I didn't do too much yesterday (Not much play time). I threw only 13 INF at the cause and a little over 2 million in bounties (Installation defense - over 2 million for two complete waves of attacks at the Alcatraz Prison Ship... That added some INF and some Security but it doesn't tell you how much.)

Thank you @Ian Doncaster for your information on our situation with our near future expansion. I will have to do some research. Does anyone know of an app that checks the stuff he described in an easy way? If not, I can program one (programming is what I do for a living for the past 30 years) but it will probably take me out of play for several days.

Last edited:
Thank you @Ian Doncaster for your information on our situation with our near future expansion. I will have to do some research. Does anyone know of an app that checks the stuff he described in an easy way? If not, I can program one (programming is what I do for a living for the past 30 years) but it will probably take me out of play for several days.
That sort of thing is generally what high-end BGS groups use to give them a planning edge over everyone else. They exist but they're not for public use so you might find it a useful long-term investment to build your own.

In terms of getting the information (manually or programatically):

There's a bot on the BGS discord which will give you a correct assessment of your expansion targets based on the cube, invasion options, etc. provided that the relevant system data has all been updated for the current tick.
(You can't add the bot to your own server, but if you're on the BGS discord you can ask it questions by PM)

https://elitebgs.app/ is good for looking back at influence histories long-term and things like that to see if a PMF in a system is doing anything. Also pretty good displays of basic information.

A quick glance at EDDB will get you basic system/station/faction information, as well as Powerplay exploit/control.

EDSM is probably the easiest place for getting a quick traffic estimate, as it counts visits in the last 24 hours from EDDN. Multiply that figure by 10-20x to get a rough estimate of the actual traffic since most people don't use the third party tools. (But you'll need to visit the actual system to be sure)

For app-writing purposes, the EDDB 'API' (a bunch of files) is probably easiest for loading initial data into the system, but you'll then want to set up an EDDN listener (using ZeroMQ) to keep it updated. (Tick detection will be an interesting early problem here and there are a few approaches which can be used) The FSDJump/Location/CarrierJump events are primarily what you need to look for there.

Some of this is similar to what the Census site does: it's open source so feel free to borrow code, algorithms, etc. or ask me about details.

TAKEN FROM THE #STANDING-ORDERS CHANNEL ON ELITE WEEK DISCORD: * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Orders 24-25 June 3306

A modest gain in LFT 926 sees us creeping quite close to expansion level. We are at 70.2% today.

In other positive developments, most of the expansions and retreats in the area have completed so our expansion cube is looking both full and quite settled. This means a targeted expansion is back on the menu. If we expanded today, we would have gone to Bunus system, in the wrong direction.
We will have orders in both this public channel and in the Rabid Hamsters spec-ops area to help control our direction as we get closer to expansion.
For now, concentrate on getting over 75% in LFT 926.

Tasks for today:

Bounty Hunting & Combat:
  • Bounty Hunting in LFT 926. hand in only TDW bounty vouchers at Meredith, or Dirichlet Depot.
  • Scenarios: at the orbital installations 'Erebus Security Bureau' + 'Emerald Pastures Retreat' in LFT 926 or at the Megaships in the system. Defend the structures. (note: this is hard combat & tactics!)

Commodity Trading
- Trade into Meredith City (only). Profitable trade from other systems into Meredith, as well as from Arsen Cross's carrier (Not sure where it is now!)

Missions & Passengers
- Lots of TDW missions from either station in LFT 926.

Exploration Data:
- Cartography Data dropped into Meredith City.

Keep Spinning The Wheel, Hamsters!

END OF TRANSMISSION. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

If you would like access to the #Standing-Orders channel directly or any of the many other channels on the Elite Week Discord including the #Looking-for-Wing channel where you can make plans to run missions for TDW with other commanders on your platform feel free to join the fun at: https://discord.gg/Wtgnsbq

• Scenarios: at the orbital installations 'Erebus Security Bureau' + 'Emerald Pastures Retreat' in LFT 926 or at the Megaships in the system. Defend the structures. (note: this is hard combat & tactics!)
Just to add to this, make sure you are aware of your position relative to the installation you are defending as a stray shot hitting the installation could quickly give you a bounty against you and will result in every TDW npc targeting you as a result. Also, your slf pilot may incur additional fines and bounties on you while defending against this. Otherwise these are rather profitable in terms of bounty claims compared to regular bounty hunting at nav beacons and such.

Top Bottom