This assumes of course that TDW is magical special sauce and can get into Sol where others cannot

Hate to be a downer but just to say that in case anyone is unaware, Sol has been BGS locked to outsiders from the start, this is an attempt to see if the DW are different. There is not reason to expect 'success' in getting into Sol as such, the achievement is getting into that area and anything else is a bonus, its good to hope but keep expectations in check and have fun :)

would land there by direct expansion, not invasion.

BGS? - Whats the difference (war presumably) but how does each entering state get triggered? ie why does one expansion mean expansion but another creates invasion?

This final system is well within Sol's 20ly range and is where we would likely be issuing permits from if such a thing works for us.

Which permits are we going for exactly, I been meaning to mention this but are we aiming at getting within 20LY of as many permit locked as possible and if not, would this be a viable side objective to hit as many as we could . Im thinking Polaris in particular :)

Is there any current thinking (thread) on this subject, about getting factions within 20LY or relevant systems and any workings out on which ones are the relevant factions?

Feel free to participate in the current Community Goal as it is likely we get a free station upgrade in HR 4979, and help all the other systems as well.

Awesome, was just about to send apologies for missing TTW by helping the CG, was gonna try and do both but now can anyway. Shout up if too many of us jump onto that and something needs holding up behind us :)

BGS? - Whats the difference (war presumably) but how does each entering state get triggered? ie why does one expansion mean expansion but another creates invasion?
If you expand to a system with 6 or fewer factions already present, it's a normal expansion.
If you expand to a system with 7 factions already present, it's an invasion
If you expand to a system with 8 or more factions already present, it's a challenge to our understanding of how expansion works.

Factions will always do a normal expansion in preference to an invasion, given the choice. Within those categories, there's an internal priority order - which is not the same for invasions as for normal expansions.

Missions for CIA in LHS 2166 were really very sparse yesterday, and I don't think I had a single docking request accepted immediately - there was always a dock-hog. Hopefully just a bad RNG day.
Just do what you can. CIA should have bounty hunting opportunities in one of their other systems though I haven't looked to see which one.

I experienced the same. Quite a number of multicrew-intended assassination missions (foes in wings with specialized weapons) were available. One INF5 salvage op here and there.
Still, CIA's standing in LHS2166 is markedly better now...
CIA faction in LHS2166.jpg

Teamwork!

Edit: clarification- the state shown is for effort during the 17-18 Sep 3306 period and the resulting tick.

Just want to be sure about this, especially due to the limited Medium-sized landing space on all of these smaller outposts:

If I "Exit to Main Menu" that gets me off the landing pad, my ship disappears from the landing pad, correct?

Ian has described expansions and invasions correctly. There is a bit more nuance to it than that short description. Previous retreats and the presence of permit locked systems in the expansion cube complicate things somewhat but for the most part TDW can ignore this. Ian is one of the BGS community giants upon whose shoulders I stand.

The plan, as outlined in the very first post in this thread and later modified involves testing a number of permit locked systems or planets.
Sol is of course the first primary goal. LTT 5455 was key to that plan as I explained in my long post earlier, as an expansion from there had the possibility to probe Sol's defenses. Now that a system has opened up with only 6 factions in it, that test cannot happen (yet!). By sheer luck, the system that opened up was one of our candidate systems for the path to Sol anyway. Was this a "Club" plot? Unlikely in the extreme.

We are well advanced on our plan to probe Lave. Turdetani is in striking distance of Lave. We have the permission and co-operation of Lave Radio Network to invade into the system and most of the player factions in the area are aware that we are about to make a move. A few dominoes need to be put in place first and we need to get LTT 5455 underway. Once everything is ready it should be a relatively straight forward task for TDW to arrive in Lave. The system itself is not permit locked, but a single planet within is. Just maybe TDW faction can start granting permits there.

Probably the most interesting of our planned targets is LFT 509. Absolute mountains of tinfoil have been expended on this place. Currently the system is completely inaccessible with no known way to obtain the permit. The introduction of Fleet carriers briefly allowed people to get screenshots for the internal layout of the system and the hints obtained there lead many to think this system is a high likelihood to be The Dark Wheel's home system. I personally do not make use of much tinfoil other than for cooking in the oven, so am just interested in the BGS puzzle of how to get to a system near to LFT 509. Current path plotting will result in 3-4 expansions needed from somewhere near Sol over to a target system close to LFT 509.

Kai Zen's original post included a goal to reach Robigo. This I believe is actually impossible via BGS as there are gaps larger than 30 ly with no populated systems. BGS expansions or invasions cannot currently bridge such gaps. Early rumors of base building in Odyssey gave a little bit of hope to this, now since quashed.

We will likely be in just short of 20 systems before all current targets are tested properly. Reaching 20 would be a significant milestone for this project. By then we should be well into experiencing the changes brought by Odyssey, which may give other opportunities for this project to test things.

Keep Turning the Wheel. Perhaps some secrets of the universe may be shaken loose by our actions!

Edit: I meant to mention that there are channels on the Elite Week discord entirely devoted to tinfoil theories and searching for Raxxla. There are also entire servers outside of Elite Week also dedicated to that search. Some of what this project is doing is teasing out the results of that search.

Last edited:
Taken from the Standing orders on the Elite Week Discord https://discord.gg/Wtgnsbq

Orders 19 - 20 Sep 3306

Last day of the war in Turdetani. Shoot at the Vucub Huan guys for one more day. 3-0 currently.
Trade/carto and missions for The Dark Wheel in LTT 5455.
Feel free to participate in the current Community Goal as it is likely we get a free station upgrade in HR 4979, and help all the other systems as well. Orders much the same as yesterday.

Please do not do any of the following as they help the enemy:
Do NOT work for other factions in our systems, unless requested in the orders.
Do NOT hand in bounties for any faction other than The Dark Wheel in our systems.
Do NOT hand in trade goods or cartography data to stations that we do not own.

Tasks for today:

Bounty Hunting & Combat:
  • Bounty Hunting in LFT 926, HR 4979, Anyanwu or LTT 5455. Hand in to LTT 5455 or Turdetani. Do NOT hand in to HR 4979 or Anyanwu!
  • Conflict Zones in Turdetani. Shoot at Vucub Huan Corporation.

Commodity Trading
  • Profitable trades into TDW owned ground stations in Shinrarta
  • Profitable trades into TDW owned stations in LTT 5455

Missions & Passengers
  • Missions for TDW in LTT 5455. Combat related missions in Turdetani.
  • Missions for CIA in LFT 926. (optional.)
  • Missions for Alliance of LTT 5419 in Anyanwu. Just a little more today.

Exploration Data:
- Hand in TDW ground stations in Shinrarta or our station in LTT 5455

Please continue to use EDMC or similar tools to keep local data up to date.

Keep Spinning The Wheel, Hamsters!

Ian has described expansions and invasions correctly.
Ian is one of the BGS community giants upon whose shoulders I stand.
I appreciate the time that both of you take to explain and respond to questions and comments. I realize that this is time you could be using to be in-game, or elsewhere. As has been said before, we rely on the expertise of one-another. This is how goals get accomplished. This isn't the first time that I've said it, and it won't be the last.
o7, CMDRs!

Only found out about this a few days ago!
Just got to page 86, but was well worth the effort, found out a lot, including how much more I did't know, that I did't know I did't know (sort of like Rummy's unknown unknowns).
Been winging my way back to home base from Mammon (shake down cruise for my Anaconda), while reading the forum posts, will swap to a more suitable vessel, when home and be ready to help 'turn the wheel'.
Have started to tackle Discord learning curve, also keen to become rabid in my not very good at combat but OK at other aspects way, if the hamsters will have me (and I work out how to apply)
In the words of HAL 9000 "I am very enthusiastic about this mission"

Taken from the Standing orders on the Elite Week Discord https://discord.gg/Wtgnsbq

Orders 20 - 21 Sep 3306

Now things get interesting. In LTT 5455 we are barely below expansion threshold at tick, so should kick that well above 75% today. If BGS works as expected, we should show pending expansion the following day.
Over in Turdetani, we got clear of the war and can now make a push to the top to challenge for control. The gap is only 9.2% so could even be closed today.

Work for The Dark Wheel in both systems today.

Do NOT hand in bounties for any faction other than The Dark Wheel in our systems.

Tasks for today:

Bounty Hunting & Combat:
- Bounty Hunting in LFT 926, HR 4979, Anyanwu or LTT 5455. Hand in to LTT 5455 or Turdetani. Do NOT hand in to HR 4979 or Anyanwu!

Commodity Trading
  • Profitable trades into TDW owned ground stations in Shinrarta
  • Profitable trades into TDW owned stations in LTT 5455

Missions & Passengers
  • Missions for TDW in LTT 5455 and Turdetani.

Exploration Data:
- Hand in TDW ground stations in Shinrarta or our station in LTT 5455

Just got to page 86, but was well worth the effort, found out a lot, including how much more I did't know, that I did't know I did't know (sort of like Rummy's unknown unknowns).
Been winging my way back to home base from Mammon (shake down cruise for my Anaconda), while reading the forum posts, will swap to a more suitable vessel, when home and be ready to help 'turn the wheel'.
Have started to tackle Discord learning curve, also keen to become rabid in my not very good at combat but OK at other aspects way, if the hamsters will have me (and I work out how to apply)
Welcome aboard! I hope, like many of us, you'll find that this initiative is the best thing to happen in Elite: Dangerous for a considerable time.

Last edited:
Indeed, welcome! I'm interested in your (& others') experience starting from zero on Discord. I'm in the same situation.

I'm out of the hatch CMDR. Tell me where you need me!

Ok, so after months of cheering you all on from the sidelines, wishing I was properly involved, I'm now back in the bubble and will be dedicating a good 12 hours+ per week to turning the wheel.

Firstly, apologies to @Cryptography - I have just sold TDW a LOT of UC data in a pretty inefficient way (from BGS perspective), but I'm desperate to start wheel turning without the fear of death looming over me. Also, I needed to do this to test 2 "TDW invite" theories.

1) Sell TDW UC data from every single galactic region
2) See TDW over 1 billion in UC data

Both theories now tested with nothing immediate triggered.

too late, they both completed Saturday night, but Id forgotten the CQC Club initial connection, latest intel says they've forgotten all about it now but Im going for Elite in it anyway...eventually

Orders 21 - 22 Sep 3306

Today we start expansion from LTT 5455. Well done all!
We are also pending conflict for control of Turdetani. Fighting tomorrow.
Not a lot to do today other than some housekeeping.

Tasks for today:

Bounty Hunting & Combat:
- Bounty Hunting in LFT 926, HR 4979, Anyanwu or LTT 5455. Hand in to LFT 926 or Shinrarta.

Commodity Trading
- Profitable trades into TDW owned ground stations in Shinrarta

Missions & Passengers
  • Missions related to election for LHS 346 Democrats in Anyanwu.
  • Missions for Alliance of LTT 5419 in Anyanwu to boost them safely away from retreat or invasion level.

Exploration Data:
- Hand in TDW ground stations in Shinrarta or LFT 926.

Top Bottom