General / Off-Topic TV To See

There's a new short series on PBS called "Mrs. Wilson".

https://www.pbs.org/show/mrs-wilson/

Actress Ruth Wilson dug into her grandmother's memoirs, and came up with the Real Life Wham-Shock of a discovery.

Her grandfather had four wives (and families) he kept secret, and compartmentalized away from the others.

Oh. He was also MI-6. And the proto-Ian Fleming. Her grandmother was essentially Miss Moneypenny. They met there. She only knew about the MI-6 part of their lives until he died.

Her real-life grandfather is now the subject of academic studies, and a struggle with MI 5 and 6 to release records.

It's a fantastic show, with great acting all around.

Important Safety Tip: Make sure that you are dead, before Alice from "Luther" discovers you have been cheating on her...

Is this a general recommendations thread?

If so, please everyone watch....

The Expanse.

It's an an amazing show with brilliant characters and an engrossing coherent story that starts slowly but by the end of the 3rd season it opens up into a full on space opera.

My "Stuff To Watch" list ...

War Of The Worlds - BBC - Any time now

His Dark Materials - BBC & HBO - Some time in 2019

The Dark Crystal: Age Of Resistance - Netflix - August 30

Star Trek Picard - Amazon (CBS in USA & Canada) - some time in 2019

Good Omens - Amazon - Out Now

Last edited:
CHERNOBYL.

Very very good. Jared Harris is his usual utter professional.

It's only 5 episodes and a huge must watch.

Chernobyl was excellent and should be the benchmark for how to do a historical drama right.

I can only recall a single apparent error (as opposed to deliberate condensation or dramatization) of real note:
In episode two Khomyuk talks about the possibility of a megaton level explosion from the flash boiling of the flodded bubbler pools...this multiple orders of magnitude higher than anything possible and so ludicrous that even Gorbachev should have immediately caught the error, let alone some of the others present. The inclusion of this line is a puzzling and incongruous mistake, and one that was not needed to inflate the drama of the scene...the steam explosion would still have been powerful enough to destroy the rest of th plant and dramatically worsen an already disastrous situation, without any hyperbole

With the current fun and games in the Gulf region I re-watched "Threads" - initially to compare the scenarios (quite close) - I don't have a link for Threads, there are just clips and trailers on the yootoob. However that made me notice that "The War Game" was on the BBC's iPlayer for the next 7 months. (There is a mis-labelled version on vimeo too.)

I recommend Threads and The War Game, even though they are very VERY old now, to any younger members who have not seen them.

With the current fun and games in the Gulf region I re-watched "Threads" - initially to compare the scenarios (quite close) - I don't have a link for Threads, there are just clips and trailers on the yootoob. However that made me notice that "The War Game" was on the BBC's iPlayer for the next 7 months. (There is a mis-labelled version on vimeo too.)

I recommend Threads and The War Game, even though they are very VERY old now, to any younger members who have not seen them.
The US version is "The Day After".

Binged "Endeavor". Next season on PBS starts late this month.

Also sampled "Silk". Lots of anger and despair in that show. Got canned after three seasons. The senior law clerk, and Phil Davis' performances were the good parts.

Binged "Endeavor". Next season on PBS starts late this month.

Also sampled "Silk". Lots of anger and despair in that show. Got canned after three seasons. The senior law clerk, and Phil Davis' performances were the good parts.

Yep Endeavour is top-notch. One of the long-running crime dramas here is "Midsomer Murders" and that is becoming dire. (They even had to bring in a "cousin" with the same surname to take over from the long-time star when he left because the show is really popular on the continent with the name "Inspector Barnaby".)

Silk wasn't "canned" - they "wanted to end on a high" - squeezing every last penny from a show format is not (in general) the over-riding UK attitude, as opposed to you know where. ;)

Did the US version of Silk ever get into production?

The US version is "The Day After".

I have always thought that "The Day After" was too "sanitised". Threads on the other hand is thought to have made Reagan tone-down his belligerence. (How true that is of course we will never know.) What scares the jobbie out of the rest of the world, Europe in particular, is that both USA and USSR seemed to think that they could survive a nuclear exchange.

Last edited:
Top Bottom