Twelve Days of PZ - Ft. The Files! (PROBABLE SPOILERS)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Given the recent news of no new news, I've decided to help put some cheer back into things with a Christmas carol parody featuring animals datamined from the game. Don't worry, even with an animal per day there's still several that won't be mentioned in the carol.

IF THIS HASN'T BEEN MADE OBVIOUS ALREADY, AVOID THIS THREAD IF YOU DON'T LIKE SPOILERS

With that out of the way, here's day 1.

♫ On the first day of Zoo-mas, Frontier devs gave to me...
A cockroach in a fern tree.♫

7593696128_8c5968dcb8_b
The giant burrowing cockroach of Australia! Scientifically known as Macropanesthia rhinoceros, these are the heaviest cockroaches in the world. Unusual to most insects, they give live birth instead of laying eggs!

Day 2 of the carol!
♫ On the second day of Zoo-mas, Frontier devs gave to me...
Two pangolins.
And cockroach in a fern tree.

manis-pentadactyla(2).jpg

The Chinese pangolin! This cute critter eat nothing but ants and termites, and have a prehensile tail similar to that of a kinkajou or an opposum. However, they're seriously endangered due to poaching for their meat and habitat loss.

Last edited:
Day 3 is coming live now!

♫ On the third day of Zoo-mas, Frontier devs gave to me...
Three arachnids
Two pangolins
brachypelma-smithi-redknee-tarantula-daliana-pacuraru.jpg

large

DesertHairyScorpionWHSp_AP7I.jpg

Today is a triple-whammy of exhibit critters. Here come the Mexican red-knee tarantula (top), Brazilian salmon pink tarantula (centre), and the giant desert hairy scorpion! (bottom)

Last edited:
A small correction, but the first spider pictured is actually a Mexican fireleg tarantula (Brachypelma boehmei) while the true Mexican red-knee tarantula are only Brachypelma smithi & Brachypelma hamorri. :)
But it is something a lot of people get wrong as many of the Brachypelma species are quite similar. :)

Day 4 underway!

♫ On the fourth day of Zoo-mas, Frontier devs gave to me...
Four camel feet
Three arachnids
Two pangolins
camel.jpg

camelus-ferus.jpg

The bactrian camel! Both pictures are technically bactrians (top is the domesticated species, bottom is the critically endangered wild species). Domesticated bactrian camels are much more common, but Planet Zoo has no domesticated status (only going from least concern to extinct). Plus, releasing a domesticated animal into the wild would be a bit awkward (just ask Australia how their feral camels are treating them).

Fun fact, bactrian camels had a name drop in an official Frontier video (above the check for the Barid's tapir).
unknown.png

Last edited:
Fun fact: Bactrian and Dromedary camels can interbreed to produce fertile offspring. A 1st generation (F1) cross (which has just one hump) is substantially larger and stronger than either parent species, as a result of 'hybrid vigour' (heterosis). Because of this feature, hybrids were highly prized and were used on the silk road.

And,... yes, hybrids have been kept in zoos.

Thank you everyone for the great facts! We're just a week from launch at this point, which is an exciting milestone! Without further ado, here's day 5!

♫ On the fifth day of Zoo-mas, Frontier devs gave to me...
FIVE GOLDEN FROGS
Four camel feet
Three arachnids
Two pangolins

latest

latest

The golden poison frog! Many spotted this critter in the recent video Frontier put out, and man they're cute. These endangered frogs get their poison from the food they eat, so raising them with a captive diet means they're harmless. These frogs also come in colours beyond the classic gold, with morphs including mint green and orange.

6 days till Planet Zoo! What better day to celebrate day 6 of the carol!

♫ On the sixth day of Zoo-mas, Frontier devs gave to me...
Six Bongos Bouncing
FIVE GOLDEN FROGS
Four camel feet
Three arachnids
Two pangolins

Four_bongo_calves_with_nanny.jpg

The bongo! These uniquely orange-red antelope are found mostly in the tropical forests of Africa (Central and Eastern), favouring areas already frequented by the coexisting African forest elephant. They can eat a wide variety of plant matter they can reach using their prehensile tongue. Bongos are one of the largest nocturnal antelope, standing about 1.2m (~4') high at the shoulder.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom