Twitch Drops Cargo Breach

Once you reach the required time for a drop, you will then need to follow the URL, link your Frontier account to your Twitch account, and then claim your reward.

This is not typically how Twitch drops work in my experience. Users need to be registered before the stream starts, its marked as eligible in the back end, and then as watch time accrues, the entitlements trigger. Handing out the URL during the stream is either
A. Not going to work
B. Only going to work for people who manage to get an hour of watch time in after the URL is posted after the stream starts, assuming it lasts for that long.
C. Or there is something I do not know about setting up Twitch drops and it will work retroactively.

I've seen enough devs mess this up before so I'm pretty confident there will be failures and hollow apologies but I could be wrong too. It would just be better if the URL was here, now.

Sorry for maybe appearing a bit dense here, still tryingg to get my head around all this new fangled technology.
Do I have to sign up/ set something up before the stream or just watch on Twitch and the drops take care of themselves?

This is not typically how Twitch drops work in my experience. Users need to be registered before the stream starts, its marked as eligible in the back end, and then as watch time accrues, the entitlements trigger. Handing out the URL during the stream is either
A. Not going to work
B. Only going to work for people who manage to get an hour of watch time in after the URL is posted after the stream starts, assuming it lasts for that long.
C. Or there is something I do not know about setting up Twitch drops and it will work retroactively.

I've seen enough devs mess this up before so I'm pretty confident there will be failures and hollow apologies but I could be wrong too. It would just be better if the URL was here, now.
Ok well this might be good news for everyone who doesn't watch the stream - maybe Frontier will screw it up so badly that they'll just have to throw their hands up and provide the rewards to everyone, in a repeat of the CG mess last week.

Googling twitch, i would seem to perhaps have an account as i have amazon prime.
This account has a very different email addresses linked to the one with frontier i would like to link too for purple things.
Dependent obviously if i can actually make it to watch this thing (so would still like to know if it will work on the replay, as i seriously doubt it will watchable live for me due to work and life), is this difference of emails going to be a problem?

If it's anywhere industry standard, this is a cover to allow Frontier to sell your Data to Twitch and all its associates, which can then monetize that Data via its vast connected 3rd party analytica.

Effectively, this is what you're then consenting to : https://www.twitch.tv/p/legal/privacy-notice/

Welcome to social engineering/networking, big data and global analytica.
If some digital junk earned by inflating view counts is worth selling out your privacy, that's up to you to decide. Your call.
One thing you can be 100.0% sure of : neither Frontier nor Twitch have anything free to give away. They want your data, which is very valuable and earns them alot of money.

Yup. Create an account explicitly for this purpose. FD get their money from Twitch for your data, and your data tells them that you own Elite and watch a FD stream occasionally with the volume set to 1%, and absolutely nothing else (as you do that with other accounts).

is it, though? free?

do we want frontier to actually work on the game and advance it to new heighs, or do we want to play along with social advertising for a crappy paint job? if lots of muted tabs heed this call i can only see them salivating at their view stats and doing more of this crap. not sure that's a good thing, even for free.

It's a double-edged sword isn't it? Increased advertising revenue from other sources goes into FD's coffers - and that's done under the illusion that advertisers are having that any of us are actually going to watch any of it and not just have it running quietly on a phone with something in the headphone jack.

Now naturally I'd rather they put their time and effort into creating good content for Elite over whatever this is, but we all know that if they weren't giving away skins they'd be spending their time trying to make money on the side by making more tacky skins, and I think we can probably all agree there are plenty of tacky skins.

How is this link given out? I seems these drops automatically fill progress bars (going by the Twitch help file) but once thats done, what then?

Stephen Benedetti

Community Manager
UPDATE

Before today’s stream, we wanted to share some more information on the Twitch Drops process.
  • You do NOT have to link your Twitch and Frontier account to EARN Twitch drops.
  • You WILL have to link them to REDEEM the Twitch Drop.
  • Anyone who has a Twitch account and watched the stream for the allotted time will earn a drop. This drop will sit in that person's account unclaimed.
  • You can claim your drop (by linking your Twitch and Frontier account) BEFORE or AFTER you earn a drop.

FAQ
What are Twitch Drops?
Twitch Drops are rewards given to people who tune in to designated ‘droppable’ Twitch streams. By linking your Twitch account with your Frontier account and watching the nominated streamers during the given timeframe, you could be awarded with an in-game cosmetic item!

Is Twitch Prime required to be eligible for drops?
No! Having your accounts linked, opting into the drops feature and viewing any eligible stream are the only things you need to do. Worth noting, if you begin to watch an official Twitch Drop stream and your accounts are not linked, Twitch will prompt you to link your accounts!

When is the next event taking place?
Take a look at the EliteDangerous Twitch channel for details of our next drops event. In order to give people in various time zones a fair chance to obtain the items, our Twitch Drops window will typically run for a week starting at 10am BST on the first day until 10am BST on the last day. During that time, tune in to one of our Frontier Games’ Partners (who are choosing their own streaming times) to get your rewards.

What will I be awarded?
See above for current and past drops campaign prizes. Information also available on Twitch and Frontier Games’ Social Channels. It is important to note that you don’t have to watch the stream continuously to receive prizes – the time is counted throughout the whole stream campaign. So tune in whenever you want, come enjoy yourselves, celebrate and get some cool rewards!

When and how will I receive my in-game items?
You will receive a notification on Twitch when you have been awarded the items. You will need to first claim your items on Twitch and then via this page using the claim buttons above. The items will be added to your account, so all you need to do is log in to the game. If you are already logged in, you’ll need to log out and log back in. Additionally, your Twitch Inventory will contain any and all drops that you have earned. This can be found in the drop down menu beside your name, titled Inventory when on your Twitch account.

Which platforms are included in the Twitch Drops campaigns?
Twitch Drops are activated for all three platforms the game is currently available on: PC, PS4, and Xbox One. Be sure you have your Frontier account linked with your console account.

What can I do if I didn't receive my reward in-game?
If your accounts are correctly linked and if you cannot find your reward, please do not hesitate to contact our support team

We need some clarity as to which platforms will receive the drops. When we receive the URL to link our Twitch accounts then presumably that will be linking to our Frontier account which in itself may be linked to multiple platforms. So if my Frontier account is linked to the PlayStation, XBox and PC platforms then which of those platforms will receive the drops once applied ? Will all linked platforms receive the drops once applied ?

Frontier: hey, we’ve decided to give you absolutely free stuff nobody asked for as a prize for watching the stream most of you who take the time to post on the forums were already going to watch.

FORUM DWELLERS: I don’t like it for the following reasons...

Frontier (thinks but does not say out loud) OK then just don’t take it. If I offer you a sandwich you don’t have to complain about the sandwich. Saying, “No thanks” is a perfectly acceptable response...

no, thanks.

feel better now? :giggle:

How does one actually link accounts?

Once you've watched the stream for the required amount of time then you will receive a link that allows you to link your account. I can't say I've ever come across another company that does it this way though as opposed to requiring people to link their accounts before they start watching the stream, so don't be surprised if it all goes a bit Gnosis.

Hey together,
maybe i haven't read this, but my question, where i have to connect my twitch account with my elite Dangerus account?

If you're running on a recent version of Windows 10, you can go to your Audio settings and redirect an app, including your browser (or alternative browser) to another audio output. So, if you have say an HDMI connection to your monitor, you can route the audio to that and leave the volume off on that.
1606217177668.png

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
One question from me, FAQ states 'Be sure you have your Frontier account linked with your console account.' Where can we check or confirm this?

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator

It should show under the ThirdParty section of your Frontier account.

That doesn't let me log in with my PS4 email, only my PC account... I would have no idea what my password is on PS4 account.

Or are you saying I have to link my PS4 account to my PC account? Which will get the drops? LOL.

Edit. Oops looks like they were linked and I've managed to unlink them. Aaarrgh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom