General / Off-Topic Twitter begone!

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Apart from the forum, I only really use twitter as my forum persona to share content of ED, PZ, PC as there are a lot of player who don't frequent the forums and my retro gaming bits and pieces.

That and my regular updates on what wierdo stuff us Mods and Brett get up to.

You have been warned..

Technically this forum would qualify as social media.

I must agree.
I am only here because I care very much about this game.
This is the only forum I am on, and even then I very often think it is one forum too many when I am confronted by all the whining that is going on.

Never used Twitter, the closest I get to it is if one of the handfull of youtubers I watch shows it for referance, and then yeah that place is beyond belief.

FB is a means to an end, I use it for family stuff, as we are spread far and wide over the globe.

This place and a few other games forums, stopped useing reddit sometime back. Oh and ever got my head around twitch, wait, what, you want me to watch you play a game I could be playing...

The only thing that I know about Twitter is when Trump speaks on this social network.

His tweets are posted in all media on the Web, so we must necessarily fall on them and by ricochets, on twitter.

Impossible to escape.

I had a blog way back when. Then everyone stopped caring. :(
I still write in my blog from time to time... sometimes about holidays or other events, sometimes elite fiction... sometimes random waffling...
But again, not as often as I did say 10 years ago or more...

I cannot give up on what I've never used. Forums are the only social media tools I use. Follow people? No thanks.
10000 "friends" I don't know? Yeah, no again.

THIS ENTIRE THREAD MADE MY DAY! … Sometimes it's good to stay in my very own filter bubble and reinforce long held beliefs. One of them: "social" "media" is not worth it … Thus I never started, not even when it was "hot cakes" so many years ago.

As for others is this forum the only one i use and it is the first in like 10 years. But I'm mostly in the explorers subsection. Overall this forum is very civilized but that one is the most "grown up". So little whining there. Must be the explorers attitude to endure even the most tedious things for a very long time ;)

I think a lot of the discussion culture can be attributed to the average age of elite players and … mhm … maybe the "peer" group they belong to. Let's be honest. Most of us who are here are more than just a bit nerdy (take it as a compliment, I usually do). How many of you have played the previous games? And how many of the "common people" in your age group even had "computer as a hobby" back then and created third party tools for the games they played?
The explorers subforum is such a good example for that. There are people that analyze the star and planet data (from EDSM) to figure out where it is most likely find ringed earth like worlds in trojan orbits. There are other people who meticulously collect information about certain types of planets.
But then there is also Coriolis, EDDB, the wiki, the youtubers that create _ actual _ content … to mention just a few of the stuff.
Considering that ED is rather "small" compared with other titles, all of this counts at least threefold.

So yeah … I would say that the people here (in this forum) are quite a special "branch" of society … my kind of people … thus my own bubble.

And regarding the usefulness of twitter, fb etc.: these are tools and I think there is a use for them (some of such uses were mentioned earlier). But as stuff (still) works on the internet it is a chimaera of "cool new tool for awesome future stuff" and "old business model in which advertisement and thus attention grabbing is the established way to get rich". … I hope this will fix itself because otherwise the internet may be on a global scale a net loss in the end :( .

Oh damn … I got distracted ;)

I came of Twitter last year. It’s a cesspit. There is nothing ‘social’ about it. Far from bringing people together, it’s become a battleground.

It also reminds me of those giant chicken sheds, all in there skwarking loudly but not one of them listening.

Came of FB years ago.

The difference between Twitter & FB is at least I’m not related to the racists on Twitter.
I agree with most of your post, but please define racist, it seams everyone is a racist these days, in the old days it actually ment a person who thinks people with a different skin color is a lesser person, but I got the feeling this is not how it’s interpreted today?

Hit me
I agree with most of your post, but please define racist, it seams everyone is a racist these days, in the old days it actually ment a person who thinks people with a different skin color is a lesser person, but I got the feeling this is not how it’s interpreted today?

One particular incident I was part of was someone who admitted his sole objection to Harry marrying Meghan was that she was black and blacks shouldn’t be in the Royal family. I mean that sort of racism.

I came across this stuff constantly on Twitter, it was kinda my thing to look for it and object to it. Whilst I know you will never talk a racist out of being racist, I believe it is vital to let them know their views are abhorrent.

I came across this stuff constantly on Twitter, it was kinda my thing to look for it and object to it. Whilst I know you will never talk a racist out of being racist, I believe it is vital to let them know their views are abhorrent.

See, I couldn't agree with that - the part about it being "vital" to let them know, I mean.

That's exactly the sort of thing where, in attempting to express a moderate, reasonable, opinion, you just end up involved in a poop-fest which doesn't benefit you in any way.
I'm all for down-voting or disliking anything unacceptable but there's just no point in getting involved.

I recently saw a youtube video where some guy was proclaiming (as is currently the fashion) that "Here's something you should NEVER do!!!".
In this case, he had a 4x4 and he was asserting that you should never fit electric cooling fans to a 4x4.
His actual video showed how he'd bodged the fitment of electric fans on his 4x4 and subsequently declared that it should never be done.

I posted a message pointing out that relying on a mechanical fan means that you can't disable it before you take your 4x4 into deep water which can cause catastrophic damage to the radiator and engine ancilleries if the mechanical fan breaks when it hits the water.
You should've seen the replies I got!
Anybody'd think I'd suggested smearing your engine with mulched puppies.

That's the big problem with social media, and Twitter in particular.
It's filled with people who go straight from zero to full-volume with no intermediate steps.
There's just no point in jumping into that cesspit.

It’s vital to let racists no that racism is unacceptable, otherwise your silence supports them. They think it’s normal. Your inaction is an action.

Anyway, I left that cesspool because there are more and more on there and it’s being normalised. I was fighting a tide.

If your happy to be silent whilst people state black people should not be in the Royal family, that is your choice. I wasn’t and afk, continue to challenge blatant discrimination, of any kind, where I encounter it. How can I hope for a better society if I’m not willing to be active in creating it?

It’s vital to let racists no that racism is unacceptable, otherwise your silence supports them. They think it’s normal. Your inaction is an action.

Anyway, I left that cesspool because there are more and more on there and it’s being normalised. I was fighting a tide.

If your happy to be silent whilst people state black people should not be in the Royal family, that is your choice. I wasn’t and afk, continue to challenge blatant discrimination, of any kind, where I encounter it. How can I hope for a better society if I’m not willing to be active in creating it?

I'm all for down-voting or disliking anything unacceptable but there's just no point in getting involved.

Top Bottom