Ships Type 10 Defender Club

I was incorrect yesterday due to all the steam or smoke in the hangar I could not see it at first but it is there in all it's glory. LOL

I like the T10, much underrated ship, I don't know about Tharg hunting in it but it kits out as a reasonably armed miner quite nicely. Cockpit view is brilliant and handling, apart from knowing it is a huge ship, is fine for flying around asteroids. SC handling is good enough, it still feels big and heavy but behaves well enough. Currently enjoying flying out to the new station to join in the CG, going the 'straight line with doglegs route' from the bubble so should arrive there in time...

Oddly, as an exploration ship it also feels 'right', only 42-ish Ly jump range but very cool-running and 'nimble' enough for planetary landings. Glad I bought one :)

Some of us like the spoiler so much, we made it bigger ;)

I currently have the good ship Burning Chrome on Distant Worlds 2. She's playing the role of Hull Seal "Otter" (repair and refuel limpets). 40LY Jump even with armor, shields and guns.

FTnLC2O.jpg

I like the T10, much underrated ship, I don't know about Tharg hunting in it but it kits out as a reasonably armed miner quite nicely. Cockpit view is brilliant and handling, apart from knowing it is a huge ship, is fine for flying around asteroids. SC handling is good enough, it still feels big and heavy but behaves well enough. Currently enjoying flying out to the new station to join in the CG, going the 'straight line with doglegs route' from the bubble so should arrive there in time...

Oddly, as an exploration ship it also feels 'right', only 42-ish Ly jump range but very cool-running and 'nimble' enough for planetary landings. Glad I bought one :)

Hunting Thargoid scouts, with 4 AX MC turrets, the Type 10 excels. Hunting interceptors, well I've taken down Cyclops with it (I used gauss cannons) but a lot of people use 4x Guardian Shard Cannons with premium ammo and take down a cycops in something like 20 seconds. Soloing anything bigger is hard, she's too slow to outrun the Interceptors, but in a wing, sure.

But I agree, I have a Krait Phantom kitted for exploration, but I asked myself, what ship do I want to spend months in the black in? I'm in my Type 10, thank you.

Hunting Thargoid scouts, with 4 AX MC turrets, the Type 10 excels. Hunting interceptors, well I've taken down Cyclops with it (I used gauss cannons) but a lot of people use 4x Guardian Shard Cannons with premium ammo and take down a cycops in something like 20 seconds. Soloing anything bigger is hard, she's too slow to outrun the Interceptors, but in a wing, sure.

But I agree, I have a Krait Phantom kitted for exploration, but I asked myself, what ship do I want to spend months in the black in? I'm in my Type 10, thank you.

Thanks for the tips :) I may buy another T10 to outfit for Thargs and give it a go - my combat skills are laughable but it would likely be fun...

I also have a Phantom equipped for exploration but have been finding the T10 grows on you the more you do with it, it may take a little longer to get to the destination but once I'm 'exploring' I tend to economy mode jump so the T10 still fits well.

Thanks for the tips :) I may buy another T10 to outfit for Thargs and give it a go - my combat skills are laughable but it would likely be fun...

I also have a Phantom equipped for exploration but have been finding the T10 grows on you the more you do with it, it may take a little longer to get to the destination but once I'm 'exploring' I tend to economy mode jump so the T10 still fits well.

The slow supercruise doesn't seem as bad in VR because you can look where you're turning, I find. And as for jump range, well I'm not afraid of neutron hopping, done a few thousand already. If I could change anything about the T10 though, I'd want speed to match Anaconda (well really to match Cutter but I'm dreaming), supercruise to match Anaconda or any of the big ships, and better weapon convergence for the large weapons. It would be the ship to beat then.

Well after a few days of use, and trying out some configurations, and going out exploring with it tavelling in excess of 4000Ly, (never more than 1800Ly or so from SOL), with a jump range just shy of 31Ly i can say it gets the job done pretty well.

There is alot i lik about it, the looks, the cockpit view, the fell of it, and the slots it has, but...

But, truth be said, since i did try the anaconda before it, and the reason i gave the T10 a go was because i totally hate the looks of the anaconda (when u see topside its fine, but that front and bottow, ouch, couldnt they give us a pack to buy to cover that out?!), so i gave it a go, also cause i wanted to see how is to use a ship with less jump range for exploration.
I am somewhat dissapointed, but at same time clarified to what to expect and how things are.

The T10 lacks in some regards, that tend to over time as u move around exploring, to get right in your face and makes u come to terms with a simple conclusion, that is right out of a program i like seing "forged in fire":

"Looks are second to performance!"

And the T10 lacks in that regard big time!
Not the part of jump range, i knew it and was expecting it, and didnt bothered me too much, until i decided to head for the bubble to sell my data and return to the closest point that i was exploring, and man, oh man... What a boring part that was... Even doe was only 35 jumps to, and another 35 back, the time u lose in that...
But what strikes u hard is the handling in supercruise, the turn rate, speed, and trying to land on some planets, either to find a spot to set her down, or to avoid slamming in high gravity... On those moments i wished i was in the anaconda.

Also, the guns, the placement is not the best, and covergency is not there, had a run in with pirates (NPCS) made mince out of them, (using turrets set to fire at will), took some time and there was never a moment when all guns could actually hit the target at same time... And turning such a monster to face a enemy is... dificult!

So as i aproach yet another loop where ill be close to the bubble again, atm im at 31 jumps from the nearest station in the bubble (that actually sells the anaconda with discount, seens fate), im pondering to sell the T10 and return to the anaconda, since it fits the bill better for exploration, at least for me, and i have the bonus of a extra slot that i lost when i came to the T10.

The T10 Defender is a great ship, but lacking a bite to be viable as a explorer (my gameplay type), so sadly it will have to go.
When i have deep pockets i may consider getting it again to make a targoid hunting build, but my mind is now set on a goodbye...

That's a sad tale. SC handling is ponderous, but the T10 is a huge ship! Thrusters engineered with DD2 or 3 helps a lot in planetary landings - as does thinking 'big, heavy ship!' and jump range is easy to get in the 40's fully equipped. I've gone in the opposite direction in thinking and can see my T10 replacing my Phantom as go-to explorer ship, maybe because I'm already used to long journeys in eco-jump mode :)

Very well done for taking the behometh out exploring and hope to see you out in the black sometime in whatever you choose as your go-to.... o7

That's a sad tale. SC handling is ponderous, but the T10 is a huge ship! Thrusters engineered with DD2 or 3 helps a lot in planetary landings - as does thinking 'big, heavy ship!' and jump range is easy to get in the 40's fully equipped. I've gone in the opposite direction in thinking and can see my T10 replacing my Phantom as go-to explorer ship, maybe because I'm already used to long journeys in eco-jump mode :)

Very well done for taking the behometh out exploring and hope to see you out in the black sometime in whatever you choose as your go-to.... o7

Well it's nice to hear that the T10 can get some decent jump range when engineered.

Agility: top notch!

MX Steamroller chasing another CMDR in his SRV

[video=youtube_share;ZqoZl7VqIZo]https://youtu.be/ZqoZl7VqIZo[/video]

Having some fun wit the T-10, the SLF and SRV on planetary exploration

"Whats up 2nd Officer? I called you in for boarding, not for a lift!"

Haven't flown anything besides this ship or the MK II in weeks.

Last edited:
I sold mine as i stated here, and am now back in the anaconda, wich im fitting to go in a deep space exploration trip, but i want to let this clear, the type 10, as won a place in my heart, i like this ship and i see a use for it in the future for me, not exploration wich is what im doing and i dont have the money to keep both.

But i will when i earn enough buy it back and make a 100% targoid hunting craft, ive seen the potential of it, the weapons it can boost, the "tank" like hull it has, and the systems makes it an ideal platform for that, sure u can hunt them with other ships, and probrably in a much easier and fastest way, but this will be for me the ship to go for that, but not just now.

If all go well i might just go in the direction the most sightings of targoids have been, and explore that region, might just uncover something useful to haste that build, for now i say enjoy your T10s and i hope to see u sooner than later again at the helm of a T10.

My T10 scanning Amphora plants... I didn't have room to pack a SRV when I equipped it out for mining...

Will have to open the link manually, sorry!

Last edited:
Hi folks,

I bought a T-10 just yesterday, so I guess that qualifies me for the Club.. :)

I recently bought a T-9 and really enjoyed it, but it felt somewhat lacking. After reading this thread, I had little option but to get in a T-10 cockpit and give it a go.

Man it's fun! Looks great, handles far better than the T-9, carries more boom sticks. I think I prefer the stock colour scheme too. You feel like the boss in a T-10 thats for sure.

I rarely do combat, except for self-defence, but I had to trick out the T-10 with some goodies and give it a go. Great times letting my turrets and fighter soften them up before a barrage of seeker missiles from the mothership. I think I enjoy combat now :)

I didn't do much research beforehand, so the price tag for a class 8A power plant shook me a bit. I'll stick with a 7A until I'm more flush with cash..

Getting the T-10 also inspired me to look into weapons engineering, which is materials-hungry to say the least!

Anyway, catch you round!

Top Bottom