Type-10 or Cutter as Armored Vehicle?

Without having done PVP combat, I still know what the OP is on to. Forget it. If you want revenge on those "stupid" pirates, build a ship specifically for that. I used to mine in a heavily tanked/armed Conda, and I did find it satisfying to go straight in their face when interdicted, but when you just want to bring your opals to an importer, go for that and concentrate on your mission. You loose a lot maneuverability in a tank, and that makes mining far less enjoyable.

Now I use a much smaller shield, and simply try to avoid interdictions. If interdicted, I high wake. Then, once I have sold my cargo safely, I can go to smack pirates in a Conda with so much hull and shield that it can hardly move, but beams and frags makes that less of an issue. Come close enough and I can kill almost anything without releasing the trigger finger (the beams) before the pop. Honestly I do that less and less. It has become less important. Just mentally flipping the bird, while high waking is often enough. :)

You loose a lot maneuverability in a tank, and that makes mining far less enjoyable.
He didn't say he was going to mine in it....

He specifically said to transport to sell. That's what I do, I mine in one ship and then dock at the nearest station where I have my heavily armed and armoured trade ship parked and waiting. I then fly that ship the long distance to make the sale.

Without having done PVP combat, I still know what the OP is on to. Forget it. If you want revenge on those "stupid" pirates, build a ship specifically for that. I used to mine in a heavily tanked/armed Conda, and I did find it satisfying to go straight in their face when interdicted, but when you just want to bring your opals to an importer, go for that and concentrate on your mission. You loose a lot maneuverability in a tank, and that makes mining far less enjoyable.

Now I use a much smaller shield, and simply try to avoid interdictions. If interdicted, I high wake. Then, once I have sold my cargo safely, I can go to smack pirates in a Conda with so much hull and shield that it can hardly move, but beams and frags makes that less of an issue. Come close enough and I can kill almost anything without releasing the trigger finger (the beams) before the pop. Honestly I do that less and less. It has become less important. Just mentally flipping the bird, while high waking is often enough. :)
I don't want to seem argumentative, but may I suggest that you've got that the wrong way around? The Anaconda is not a combat ship, but it does have great jump range, and is therefore ideally suited to jumping away from human pirates where they cannot follow... On the other hand the cutter is a pvp beast. See build I posted on the previous page. 500 cargo, fuel scoop, and more effective shield health than any Anaconda could ever attain. It;s also a lot faster for avoiding the inevitable reverb mine and torp attacks.

I’ve got an anaconda covered in nothing but plasma accelerators and railguns.

It won’t tank as hard as a Vette or Cutter, but if I wanna hurt things, I certainly can lmao.

As for torps, they travel at what, 250m/s? They aren’t difficult to dodge at all, and the Anaconda might be slower than the Cutter, but it moves better in every direction that isn’t a straight line.

I hate the cutter, love the t10, but those saying the cutter is the better choice are probably right. The Cutter can fight and dance if you're an exceptional pip fiddler, and it's 9k shield (with resistances, more if you aren't bothered) makes the t10s 4k-ish max, look rather anaemic...but the Cutter is so...kitsch. :p

I still enjoyed doing this build though...might even build it myself one day...

(oops, minor mistake, power is ok when you put the Fuel Scoop on prio 2, as it should be) ;)
Filthy Federation pleb, amputated of any aesthetics... sigh Not your fault, I'll blame your environment. :) Aesthetic life requires cultivation. :ROFLMAO:

Like many others, I don't like big ships, I don't fly big ships and that's why I'm a total noob regarding big ships.
I do believe that ships are a tool, and all tools excel only in certain, narrow situations. You can't with an axe as you can with a saw. ;)

In this specific situation big ships clearly are at an advantage, so that doesn't leave me much choice.

I really appreciate the advice, even if it's coming from a Federalist. You can make even bricks fly, and that's a feat in itself. ;)

@Aashenfox

I've also considered using one ship for mining and one for transport/selling, but why? Just mine, transport and sell. Then your cargo space is free and your bank acount full. I also have a Cutter, and yes it has a mighty good shield (~twice the Conda and the T-10), but if you avoid brawls you won't need it, and there is a way to avoid those. Just run. It might not be as "honorable" as putting up a fight, but it's certainly more smart. That goes for real life as well. :)

And yes the Conda is a combat ship. It's not a FDL, but it will do plenty damage and keep it self together in the meantime. It just takes a different fighting style. You can't keep up with people running, but they already "lost". If they stay, they're in for a treat.

I appreciate the advice, but as Jaggid Edje said, I want to load my opals from my Clipper into another ship and then safely transport my load until I sell it, without having to run away from every hollow ship I see. :)

Filthy Federation pleb, amputated of any aesthetics... sigh Not your fault, I'll blame your environment. :) Aesthetic life requires cultivation. :ROFLMAO:

Like many others, I don't like big ships, I don't fly big ships and that's why I'm a total noob regarding big ships.
I do believe that ships are a tool, and all tools excel only in certain, narrow situations. You can't with an axe as you can with a saw. ;)

In this specific situation big ships clearly are at an advantage, so that doesn't leave me much choice.

I really appreciate the advice, even if it's coming from a Federalist. You can make even bricks fly, and that's a feat in itself. ;)
If you weren't a scumbag slaver we could even be friends. ;)

It's space. Technically, if you put a big enough engine, any brick can fly. XD
Also, by A-10 logic, if you put a big enough gun (planetary siege rail? LOL), any brick can be deadly.

@Midian Cabal

:) You know what? I have found ED a little "boring" the last couple of days, except for slip mining. Later when I finish what I'm doing now, I'll take the mining Conda in open from Jameson to a ring one jump away, normally filled with insulting pirates, mine and go to a station 4-5 jumps away to sell, and see if I survive. I can afford the rebuy and even though I am a combat "expert" according to the game, I'm not good at FA off. My rank was achieved simply by using the method i described above.

It's space. Technically, if you put a big enough engine, any brick can fly. XD
Also, by A-10 logic, if you put a big enough gun (planetary siege rail? LOL), any brick can be deadly.
No 💩 Sherlock! :)
Technically you don't even need an engine, judging by Guardian technology. You just need a slingshot that's big enough. ;)
But those bricks can fly even in atmosphere, we just have to wait a bit longer until some small technical problems are fixed.

@Midian Cabal

:) You know what? I have found ED a little "boring" the last couple of days, except for slip mining. Later when I finish what I'm doing now, I'll take the mining Conda in open from Jameson to a ring one jump away, normally filled with insulting pirates, mine and go to a station 4-5 jumps away to sell, and see if I survive. I can afford the rebuy and even though I am a combat "expert" according to the game, I'm not good at FA off. My rank was achieved simply by using the method i described above.

Just like running away from every hollow blot on my radar became boring to me. :) I want to show some claws. Rawr!

My combat cutter has the best shields in the game, 704 cargo and it's weapons easily take out pesky elite/ deadly Anacondas and Type-10s. A mining version replaces those weapons but has great shields and speed to get those opals to market.

Just like running away from every hollow blot on my radar became boring to me. :) I want to show some claws. Rawr!
In that case I would go for the Cutter or the Conda. The T-10 has excellent visibility from the cockpit, but combat wise it's harder to handle than the other two. When I brawl with a pirate in my Conda they don't even dent my shield, but in my T-10...

Also remember though, that the T-10 has better hull, and that the big shield takes ages to regenerate. It's much up to your skills. Again, once you get to half a ring left, you can always run.

Good luck! It's not that I don't understand your urge ;)

Cutter is super safe compared to the T-10, even with huge space devoted to cargo, if you build it right and fly it with some degree of competence.

It entirely depends how long you want to stand and fight someone who you realize will probably beat you in the end. 3000mj is enough to lose 2000, flip your foe the bird and wake out while casually lighting a spliff and putting on your shades.

But you wanna do it right, don't you? The Cutter is a ship forever, every so often, I improve something on mine, it's still far from the build I posted, and in fact, my ultimate goal is a pvp build which would look somewhat different. You don't really need the reactive bulkheads when you have 9k shield, let's face it. ;)

One more short question: would 7A prismatics be enough or should I go the full Monty?

I'd take a 6B or 8B thermal resist double braced shield gen and six shield boosters (plus one PDT and a heatsink launcher). Nothing is going to cut through your shielding fast enough to stop a high-wake, except for cascade torpedoes and such a shield gen will absorb twice as many hits of this type as a reinforced prismatic + high cap.

Top Bottom