Type-10 or Cutter as Armored Vehicle?

I'd take a 7B thermal resist double braced shield gen and six shield boosters (plus one PDT and a heatsink launcher). Nothing is going to cut through your shielding fast enough to stop a high-wake, except for cascade torpedoes and such a shield gen will absorb twice as many hits of this type as a reinforced prismatic + high cap.
How many hits is that in both cases, roughly? 8a pris and 7b?

How many hits is that in both cases, roughly? 8a pris and 7b?

Corrected it to say 6B or 8B, a class 7 would be suboptimal given the Cutter's optionals.

Anyway, even the 6B thermal resistant + double braced will provide sufficient MJ and takes seven torpedoes to knock out.

A 6A Prismatic spun for just raw MJ folds when the fourth torpedo hits.

Edit: Even an 8A prismatic, again spun for shield MJ instead of generator integrity, will fail on the fifth cascade torpedo hit.

Last edited:
Tnx for the advice! Speaking of which, how many prismatics should I buy before defecting? 2 of each, without class 8?

If it was me, I'd buy a bunch of C3, C4, C5 and C6 and then only buy anything bigger if you have a plan for it.

No point in buying anything smaller 'cos they slow down the sort of ships you'd fit 'em to.
C3/C4 will provide a strong shield for various small ships and they'll provide an okayish shield for anything up to a Python.
C5/C6 will provide a strong shield for medium ships and they'll provide an okayish shield for big ships.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't even bother with a C8 Prismatic shield on a Cargo Cutter.
A C6 prismatic and a full load of SBs will easily give you north of 5,000mj of shield and you'll still have both C8 slots free for cargo racks.

If it was me, I'd buy a bunch of C3, C4, C5 and C6 and then only buy anything bigger if you have a plan for it.

No point in buying anything smaller 'cos they slow down the sort of ships you'd fit 'em to.
C3/C4 will provide a strong shield for various small ships and they'll provide an okayish shield for anything up to a Python.
C5/C6 will provide a strong shield for medium ships and they'll provide an okayish shield for big ships.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't even bother with a C8 Prismatic shield on a Cargo Cutter.
A C6 prismatic and a full load of SBs will easily give you north of 5,000mj of shield and you'll still have both C8 slots free for cargo racks.
I threw the bone to the experts, now I'm waiting for the outcome. :)

I threw the bone to the experts, now I'm waiting for the outcome. :)

FWIW, here's my cargo Cutter: https://s.orbis.zone/37r9

Only things I'd point out would be that it might be worth fitting/modding an MGC hull if you want more integrity and you might want to adjust the distribution of SBs depending on whether you're more fussed with PvE or PvP.
As a rule, you want a good balance of shield-strength and thermal-resistance (4x HD and 4x RA SBs) for PvE 'cos NPCs use lasers to break shields.
For PvP, it's probably best to err on the side of overall shield-strength (6x HD and 2x RA SBs) cos players tend to use things like MCs and frag's.

I hate the cutter, love the t10, but those saying the cutter is the better choice are probably right. The Cutter can fight and dance if you're an exceptional pip fiddler, and it's 9k shield (with resistances, more if you aren't bothered) makes the t10s 4k-ish max, look rather anaemic...but the Cutter is so...kitsch. :p

I still enjoyed doing this build though...might even build it myself one day...

(oops, minor mistake, power is ok when you put the Fuel Scoop on prio 2, as it should be) ;)

If the T10 and cutter have an 8A shield and the cutter is heavier how are the cutter's shields more powerful? Just asking as I've just bought a T10 with A everything but temporarily got 7A shields as they appeared to be about the same strength. I'll be swapping them for 8A later then buying a ship just for planetary landings and gathering stuff for engineering.....

o7 CMDRs! The T10 is just fine. I delivered goods to many CGs in open and not even one time did any aggressor get the best of my ship. On another note, OP, you probably won’t even encounter any players on your delivery run. Just go make your delivery, you’re going to be fine. o7 CMDRs! May the Void favor you.

I'd recommend the Anaconda actually, especially if you're jumping around a lot, because it is much easier to have a high jump range and still enough internals with anaconda than Cutter. Type 10 has very weak shields compared to Anaconda / Cutter. The anaconda also has the advantage of being faster to fill, so its less of a grind to fill a full cargo hold.
https://s.orbis.zone/38mb (Anaconda)
https://s.orbis.zone/38me (Cutter)
note how the Anaconda has a higher jump range and more collectors

As for finding the system with the best prices, you can use eddb.io, commodities -> void opals (or whatever else you're selling), and you can see the stations with the highest prices

My Cutter is a great Opal miner. Tons of armor and oodles of shields, and the speed to outrun torps and can only be mass-locked by other Cutters.

Simple! If you have unlimited budget pick the Cutter because it can outrun any threat with no armor required due to its speed and mass lock factor. If not, go with the Type-10.

I'd recommend the Anaconda actually, especially if you're jumping around a lot, because it is much easier to have a high jump range and still enough internals with anaconda than Cutter. Type 10 has very weak shields compared to Anaconda / Cutter. The anaconda also has the advantage of being faster to fill, so its less of a grind to fill a full cargo hold.
https://s.orbis.zone/38mb (Anaconda)
https://s.orbis.zone/38me (Cutter)
note how the Anaconda has a higher jump range and more collectors

As for finding the system with the best prices, you can use eddb.io, commodities -> void opals (or whatever else you're selling), and you can see the stations with the highest prices
I mine in my Clipper, because she has the optimal combination of speed, agility and cargo space and I do use eddb.io, but its prices are not always up-to-date and I have to visit more stations until I find one with the best prices.

The topic is a question I'm looking at atm. I just made Duke and can buy a Cutter and scavenge parts and pieces from my Vette and T10D to outfit it fairly well at first as a cargo/passenger hauler. Another question is how the T10 and Cutter compare in SC maneuvering and in normal space when I submit to an interdiction?

I have no fear in my T10D against NPC interdictors (first for me with big ships). I flew a Beluga for over a year as my #1 money maker and before that I had a T9 as #1 so flying big ships is not an issue for me. The Beluga never lost an interdiction due to its SC maneuvering; the T9 gave me acid reflux every time an interdiction started.

I'm going to get one but since I'm not a multi multi billionaire I need to do some further researce and pre-planning before jumping on the Cutter bandwagon. GL HF

edit: actually I made Duke yesterday (not Lord duh) ... my bad

Last edited:
I have no fear in my T10D against NPC interdictors (first for me with big ships). I flew a Beluga for over a year as my #1 money maker and before that I had a T9 as #1 so flying big ships is not an issue for me. The Beluga never lost an interdiction due to its SC maneuvering; the T9 gave me acid reflux every time an interdiction started.

Cutter has way better yaw maneuverability in SC than T9 and T10 and if you use that it helps a lot
Regarding interdiction - if you feel that you are losing it, with the Cutter you have the luxury to submit then boost and wake away again.

The Cutter is the best Cargo Carrier in the game. Speed, shields, Weapons when you want it and most important - the ability to carry the most cargo.

I only play in Open and stream most of my playtime. My favorite ship, Born to Run, is an Imperial Cutter.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCilCeHQheOAWHER37iGITGA

Encountering other Commanders whom want to kill you is unusual - so most of the time I outfit for PVE with a Class 5 Prismatic, Lasers and Plasmas. If I'm going to hit a community event - then I switch to Mines. I haven't run one in a while so I would stick with the smaller shield until proven ineffective - then would switch to larger.

Here is my build:
https://inara.cz/cmdr-fleet/89150/313608/

See you in the black commander! Open Only! No Slave Trading! (TM)

Cutter for Bigmaec's reasons plus 500 boost speed

Oddly enough, I just downgraded my Cutters to 8D thrusters.
It was nice to be able to get a 2000t ship moving at 520m/s but it occured to me that it isn't really necessary, given that the ship's all but indestructible.
8D thrusters means I lose around 30m/s from the speed but it also means I'm removing 100t from the weight of the thrusters, themselves, and also saving another 40t by using a 7A PP instead of 8A, thus giving me an extra 5Ly jump-range.
And, as an added bonus, the PDist can now supply enough juice to the thrusters that I can permaboost.

Just sayin'....

Last edited:
Top Bottom