Ships Type-7 Explorer: it's not an Anaconda!

The first build I've really put a lot of time into, a few weeks maybe. I noticed very early on that the Type-7 has more internal compartments than the Phantom does while still sporting a respectable jump range. I began to check what else I could get out of it, asking questions on the newbie forums the whole time. So I think this is what I ended up with.

My three goals:
  • An over the top shield. I'm not really going to listen to criticism in this area. I don't like combat, especially upon returning to the bubble with months worth of exploration data. I'm not very confident with manual landings and beyond that, well I just need some reassurances in the form of a good amount of safety margin.
  • 50+ ly jump capacity.
  • Reduce the T7's poor thermal footprint. Happens to overlap with wanting good jump range.

Let me know what you think. She's a bit delicate with the power balancing, but I think she has become a respectable explorer.

Last edited:
I think you won't have much fun with that pp :)

You may drop the guardian shields and go with 1, 2 0E shield boosters. Better shields, better range, less power :)

Also room for the big thrusters and a better pp, still 50+ ly :)

---
I don't think the class/size of a pp defines the resting heat, but the efficiency and how much modules consume power (pls correct me someone if I'm wrong)

I don't think the class/size of a pp defines the resting heat
It literally displays lower resting heat if you install a smaller one. It could be that it still overheats at an increased pace, I don't see where to read that per say. But I see no evidence to the contrary either.

Thermals are a real problem with the T7, I tried to get them as low as possible.

It literally displays lower resting heat if you install a smaller one. It could be that it still overheats at an increased pace, I don't see where to read that per say. But I see no evidence to the contrary either.

Thermals are a real problem with the T7, I tried to get them as low as possible.
ok, never tested resting heat on different sized PPs...

Still, the deciding factor is the "efficiency" listed in the module description at coriolis.io,
the less the better.
Your 2A overcharged has an effi of 0.5 , the 4A Armoured in my example "only" 0.32 (which still isnt that low)
a 5A LowEmission with Thermal Spread is down to 0.13 Effi...

A nice extreme-test is to land at Skardee 1 , a planet just 2.6 Ls from its main star.
Try to boost around a little and make some maneuver - hard not to overheat a ship that way - bring some heatsinks ;)

Ah I wish I could just test it. So much engineering is required just to test two reactors. I've figured for a while now that if efficience affects thermals I would have seen a bump in the resting heat. Just about the only thing that does seems to affect it is reactor size vs maybe hull mass?

The other really confusing thing is when any module has something in its description about thermals it almost exclusively refers to overheating caused by weapon damage.

I think what I really need to do is to properly read up about thermal management somewhere. My best interpretation of it isn't helping me.

It's a good build except for the prismatic shields. There's no reason to use them. If attacked by a player they are going to kill you whatever shields you have. If interdicted by an NPC, they will scan you and leave as long as you don't carry cargo.

I would use smaller and lighter shields, and just do the last few jumps in solo (or use a non crowded system to sell data when returning).

Also thermal spread is a great experimental for power plants, as it helps immensely with heat when scooping

It's a good build except for the prismatic shields. There's no reason to use them. If attacked by a player they are going to kill you whatever shields you have. If interdicted by an NPC, they will scan you and leave as long as you don't carry cargo.

I would use smaller and lighter shields, and just do the last few jumps in solo (or use a non crowded system to sell data when returning).

That's and just bad advice, the you always die to a player, so don't even try. A good shield and some armor might be the difference between jumping out of the system or exploding. Same as good thrusters and the ability to boost often. It's a couple ly less range and if you are not going to the fringes it's not that important anyways. The prismatic is still overkill, especially if you put the low power mod on it. A normal a-rated of the same size with reinforced gives you higher shield strength at the same weight.

I fully agree on the thermal exp for the PP. Always go for the smallest A-rated and engineer it with armored and thermal spread or monstered if needed. Low emission PP if you have a really hot ship (Beluga).

If a player knows how to pvp, he will disable your shields, then take off your fsd or drives in seconds. If attacked by a player with a strong ship, a T7 will swiftly die no matter what the shields are.

But, i understand if someone wants to have extra shields for roleplay or whatever reasons, we all play differently.. Here is the build i would use for a T7 explorer. The fuel tank is just something that i like to have, takes some care on scooping cause you don't want to fill it most of the time, but its nice to have for when you need it. Sometimes i substitute it with an 1d fuel controller, in case i meet someone in need out in the black..

The first build I've really put a lot of time into, a few weeks maybe. I noticed very early on that the Type-7 has more internal compartments than the Phantom does while still sporting a respectable jump range. I began to check what else I could get out of it, asking questions on the newbie forums the whole time. So I think this is what I ended up with.

My three goals:
  • An over the top shield. I'm not really going to listen to criticism in this area. I don't like combat, especially upon returning to the bubble with months worth of exploration data. I'm not very confident with manual landings and beyond that, well I just need some reassurances in the form of a good amount of safety margin.
  • 50+ ly jump capacity.
  • Reduce the T7's poor thermal footprint. Happens to overlap with wanting good jump range.

Let me know what you think. She's a bit delicate with the power balancing, but I think she has become a respectable explorer.

NPC don't attack if you don't have cargo.. they let you go after they realize you don't carry anything.
To avoid other players just return to bubble in "solo" play or in a private server ( i play in mobius PVE servers )

Those 2 shield modules cost you -5.5 LY jump range!!!! , if that's fine for you i really don't know what can i tell you to convince you othervice.

Ah.. BTW.. you can also sell data in the deep outposts. They are all araound the galaxy ( https://www.edsm.net/en/galactic-mapping#2/0/0/25000|deepSpaceOutpost ) you really don't need to come back to the bubble with all the 6 months of exploration ....

If you remove the GSRP and use e-rated SBs you get more shield strength with 11.5t less weight. A-rating the thrusters and going 1 size up in PD gives you more speed and a better boost frequency. The hull change to HD and deep plating, as the hull weight is 0 the mod has only positives. Don't shield the AFMUs, it draws power and is not needed. Armor and thermal spread on the PP to keep the heat down, you need to go 2 sizes up, but you saved weight with the new shield config. A lw heatsink launcher for accidents.
You still can jump 51ly.

If you didn't engineer the prismatic yet, it might be a good idea to look at a 6A normal shield with reinforced and high-cap engineering. 81MJ more and better resistances for the same weight.

Top Bottom