Newcomer / Intro Type 7 Transporter and rubbish trade income

So here I am sat in a big boat with 240T of cargo space and the best trade run I can find in eddb.io gives me a total profit of 3.5M credits.

Max hop distance: 15 ly (which is my max jump distance when fully loaded)
No. of Hops: 6 (which is the max in eddb)
Start station: Diaguandri: Ray Gateway
Available Credits: 50 M

Is that considered a good income amount for 6 x 15 ly drops (where you have to supercruise to a station each jump)? How can I improve this? Is it mainly to do with the station I'm starting from?

[Edit] also this route includes 6 x 15k ls supercruises!

Thanks

Last edited:
I never found EDDB to be very good at finding trade routes.

If I am looking to make credits quick, I try to find a system in outbreak with a source of basic medicines in a nearby system. For example MET 20 - and you can reap over 4K per tonne profit, single jump, short supercruise. The polymers and conductive fabrics trade runs are also lucrative in the right states, as are Imps.

I did use http://etn.io/ for a while after Thrudds closed down - I don't know if it is any good now.

No that doesn’t sound very good...

With EDDB I first use the multi hop trade finder with max jump distance (150ly) to find the single best trade in my area of space...

So looking at your area (Diaguandri) it looks like CD-37 1883/Savitskaya Ring will buy 240t of polymers for 2,144,880m credits. (They also sell basic medicines so it would be sweet if you could tag on to an outbreak nearby...)

So, I’d fly to CD-37 1883 and look to source polymers nearby (preferably just 1 jump). In this case that would be Omicron Columbae/Alexander Dock, a 13ly jump/900ls ride away...

Then find out what Omicron wants in return and tweak my route from there.

The problem with EDDB is as follows:

The more people do the trading and updating the database, the more accurate it is.
The more people do the trading, the faster these trade routes dry out.

Basically, if you want to follow a user-based database, anything older than one day is meaningless.
If you find a good selling point that has been updated an hour ago, go for it. If it's been a couple of days, don't bother - it's gone.

And if you want to use the EDDB, don't use trade routes. Just do the work and find the best price for you in your vicinity and do it for every leg. That way you will achieve at least something.

But the bottom line is - the best trade routes are never made public. People keep them secret and cherish them.

It is possible to do rare goods trading loops in a large pad ship like your T7 which if done properly will net around 15k profit per tonne, the drawback is of course you can’t fill up the ship in one go at the first station you have to collect a few tonnes at each station and not start selling before you have gone far enough for that particular rare good to flip to high profit. Another consideration is that not all rare goods are legal everywhere.

You can of course top up your holds with normal cargo.

Now, this is something I’ve had experience of before. Years ago I played ED on the Xbox and did rare goods trading. In fact, believe it or not i found a print out of the big route I used to use. What I didn’t know is whether it still works the same and is still really profitable.

I remember that you could only collect a certain amount of rare goods at the stations and this was a time based refresh, with I think a maximum threshold. I then used to stealth mode into the stations and sell.

I’ll definitely do that again, but as I’m just getting back into the game and feel like I’ve forgotten everything I ever knew I thought I’d start with some ‘normal’ trading.

I've just had a chuckle when I imagined a T7 sneaking into a station. :LOL:

But yeah, rares are still a thing. Though they are now much more viable in small/medium ships because many of them had their "personal quota" reduced, so mostly you're looking at 5-15 tonnes per rare (with exceptions lower or higher)
I do that, sometimes, but usually I don't even fill up my Cobra IV. But you could always combine it with normal trading, of course.

I think rare-goods trading is much more suited to an AspX - you don't need massive cargo capacity and the lower number of jumps per circuit helps prevent your brain dribbling out of you ears...

... Of course, if you have another account or wing-up with someone then teabagging large amounts of rares can be quite profitable (or for the brandy engineer unlock).

I think rare-goods trading is much more suited to an AspX - you don't need massive cargo capacity and the lower number of jumps per circuit helps prevent your brain dribbling out of you ears...

... Of course, if you have another account or wing-up with someone then teabagging large amounts of rares can be quite profitable (or for the brandy engineer unlock).
Or the tea engineer. :)

I did rares trading just after acquiring my AspX. Paid for itself in a few runs.

If EDDB is not netting you good trade runs, try Inara, I find it useful when running other missions between stations as well. Add on some trading to increase the credit returns.

I’d say bulk trade, making profit or not, until you have traded in 50 different markets.

That’ll get your engineering unlock requirements out of the way, then you can dump your T7 and go mining lol.

Top Bottom