Ships type 9 heavy for Mining and pirates

Well I have a type 9 rigged for mining, I like th 500 cargo hold. But I often dont have the time to fill it in an entire session. But if I log back in go to the belt I find theres going to be a pirate there and this time I am not empty and he wants my cargo.

Whats the best way to survive these?

You only have the T9 with the biggest cargo ? If so, my advice is to be patient and spend a couple of hours on one of the systems with Painite overlapping double hotspots, fill a full load of Painite, than just sell the cargo in a station with a decent price.

With the credits you make ( and yesterday Painite was in a sweet top price of 1 005 000 credits ! ) buy a Conda or an Imperial Cutter. Last one is the king of miners, and a UFO for any Pirate dumb enough to attack you or to interdict you. A decent Cutter is an impossible target for any NPC - that is, assuming you mine in Solo Play and not in Open.

T9 is very vulnerable when parked in belts, you cannot run, you are slow and fat, you need time to get out of gravitational lock, you have many blind spots and bad hard points.

You may survive a pirate but an wing of them can chew your hull in no time.
I do mine in 2 ships - Conda if I need only 320 tons ( faster without getting extra boring) or the Cutter, if I want 522 tons.

Yesterday I was in my Conda, decent Hull ( 6 shield boosters, plenty of weapons, good armor, etc, a fully engineered Conda ) BUT after I dropped in my spot, I was "visited" soon enough by a wing of 3 Python.s Piratess.

I was forced to stay put some 5 minutes before they finished scan me and fly away, I confess I avoided the fight since the odds to get out from that were not in my favor, at least, not without getting serious damage who could ruin my ability to mine, after the fight.

And the pirates spawning after you log off - log - in ? Well, is worse than that ! If you just put the game in hold for some minutes only ( like for to answer some at the door, or get at restroom, etc) pressing esc key, only for 2-5 minutes, WITHOUT login out , when you return to the game pressing back the esc key, your ship is removed from spot and placed on the exterior of the belt, and pirates may show up again... so, the game do not "like" intrerruption, you get a hidden penalty if you stop mining... something I do not like, I confess...

Last edited:
1. Dirty drag drives (7A).
2. Lightweight everything.
3. All the heatsinks!

'Run Forest, run!'

That will not save you from some pirates wings... at all ! More, you will take such damage, most of the time, you will be unable to do any mining... Yesterday I was " welcomed " by a wing of 3 Python Pirates, all Elite. I was in a fully engineered Conda with enough weapons and shield to take out one of them easy, two with some sweat, but vs 3... I decided to avoid the fight , not only because I could get killed but easy I could get enough damage to ruin my mining... so I stay and waited until they get away.... some long 5 minutes...

That will not save you from some pirates wings... at all ! More, you will take such damage, most of the time, you will be unable to do any mining... Yesterday I was " welcomed " by a wing of 3 Python Pirates, all Elite. I was in a fully engineered Conda with enough weapons and shield to take out one of them easy, two with some sweat, but vs 3... I decided to avoid the fight , not only because I could get killed but easy I could get enough damage to ruin my mining... so I stay and waited until they get away.... some long 5 minutes...
Hmm. I see plenty of pirate wings, when I first drop in and when I log back in after a break.
I never get shot at by them, they never engage me.
I only have a shield because I have a habit of bumping asteroids when core mining.

Hmm. I see plenty of pirate wings, when I first drop in and when I log back in after a break.
I only have a shield because I have a habit of bumping asteroids when core mining.

"I never get shot at by them, they never engage me." cuz you are empty.
I ALWAYS get attacked when I have even just ONE unit of Painite , lol ! And I mean ALWAYS. And sure I do have a shield, the smallest possible, sure, because when you do serious mining ( over 1 hour and big loads, over 200-300 tones) ALWAYS you will kiss a rock, sooner than later, lol...

I cannot remember just one instance when I have some painite in my cargo and the pirates ignored me.... not just once... hell, I even get jumped in hyperspace when I return home, sometimes ! Seems like the Pirates can "smell" your cargo yl away....

Back to OP question - again, sweat some hours and buy the Cutter - just imagine how will be to mine with 12 Collector Limpets, 3 class 2 mining lasers, 1 class 5 Prospectors AND 512 cargo load, all with the ability to blast out in boost at some nice 520, and enough shields to laugh at all NPC.s ...

"I never get shot at by them, they never engage me." cuz you are empty.
I ALWAYS get attacked when I have even just ONE unit of Painite , lol ! And I mean ALWAYS. And sure I do have a shield, the smallest possible, sure, because when you do serious mining ( over 1 hour and big loads, over 200-300 tones) ALWAYS you will kiss a rock, sooner than later, lol...

I cannot remember just one instance when I have some painite in my cargo and the pirates ignored me.... not just once... hell, I even get jumped in hyperspace when I return home, sometimes ! Seems like the Pirates can "smell" your cargo yl away....
Hmm.
and when I log back in after a break.

I never said they ignore me.

Method:
Drop into hotspot.
Wait until pirates scan you and leave.
Commence mining.
Before logging out, move ship a couple of Ks above belt.

Logging back in (With cargo):
Check radar for contacts. Put contacts on your six, full pips to engines, continually boost back into the ring. Stay within the asteroids while boosting. If at any time you hear 'scan detected', pop a heatsink to break the scan. Once you gain enough distance the pirates will lose interest and leave.
Continue mining.

I have a Clipper for mining, 128t cargo, mining gear(laser mining), scoop and frags. I drop in mining spot, ram/frag pirates to oblivion, then mine in peace. Full cargo + 6t rafinery in <1 hour.
That's my patience timer for mining anyway.
Maybe build a mining ship with smaller cargo so you can fill it up in 1 play session. You avoid dealing with pirates more than once that way.

T9's ain't made for running or fighting. Putting guns on a T9 will encourage you to get them out to defend yourself, a virtual death sentence in a slow & poorly armoured ship. An Anaconda is a great mining vessel - you can choose between more cargo or more limpets (I've gone for 128t and 20 collectors). Unlike the Cutter, which is undeniably the best laser miner, the Conda is not locked behind a painful rank grind wall.

T9's ain't made for running or fighting. Putting guns on a T9 will encourage you to get them out to defend yourself, a virtual death sentence in a slow & poorly armoured ship. An Anaconda is a great mining vessel - you can choose between more cargo or more limpets (I've gone for 128t and 20 collectors). Unlike the Cutter, which is undeniably the best laser miner, the Conda is not locked behind a painful rank grind wall.

Well, with a bit of planning ahead, you get the Conda with 322 (!!) tones AND 12 collectors , this is my build, AND still can punch hard occasional pirates...
(12 collectors are perfect, this is 3 / for each mining laser, you do not need more ! )

What you need is a nice friendly carrier owner, someone that mines out in the black and is willing to buy what you mine at reasonable prices.

When you are out in the black, 500ly or more you do not get bothered by NPC's, none of my miner rigs have got any weapons fitted, they are not needed, shields yes some of them rocks can be mean.

I regularly just park up within a ring even though my FC is only a couple of minutes away although if you are working as a guest from an FC it would be safer to dock between session's.

The downside is there are not many metallic rings out in the black, so unless you are core mining which the T9 is not the best for then the profits are more limited.

Well I have a type 9 rigged for mining, I like th 500 cargo hold. But I often dont have the time to fill it in an entire session. But if I log back in go to the belt I find theres going to be a pirate there and this time I am not empty and he wants my cargo.

Whats the best way to survive these?
Get a Cutter (weapons, SLF, still 512T capacity) or, if you like the T9 feel, get a T10 (the SLF and turreted fire at will weapons make a big difference to pirates - mine hauls 400T-odd and is more fun than my T9 and makes plenty of coin). Trade in the T9, mine in a Cutter or T10 would be my advice, if you want a large miner.

Top Bottom