Type 9 Heavy overheating warning entering Supercruise?.

I am way out in the black in my fleet carrier mining in any pristine rings I find on my travels. I rigged out both my Python and Cobra MkIV for mining but after realising that only keeping the expensive stuff was going to be a slow job of filling the FC up. So I decided to put some laser mining gear aboard my T9 Heavy which I had originally bought as a bulk transporter on returning to the bubble and just take everything found on every non rolling/spinning asteroid in the pristine metallic ring I found in system after my latest 500ly jump.

Everything works well and hoovering up in this way I had mined 230 tons of mostly good stuff in a bit less than an hour before last nights server crash. This morning fearing for the safety of said T9 stuck in the asteroid ring all night I signed in and found it just over the ring but decided to move it a bit further before I sign in at my usual evening spot. On entering supercruise I got the "system overheating" warning which reminded me that I had this before and meant to find out why.

I am thinking it has to do with the shields as I had to drop one to make room for the PWS and then had to change out two of the heavy duty ones for lesser power usage as I don't really bother with switching systems on and off during play. The other thing I've noticed in the T9 is two flashing lights, one each above the circular radar? screens on the left and right of the console. Does anyone know what these are for and am I correct in thinking that the overheating is caused by reduced thermal shielding?. Here is a link to the T9 rigout from the Coriolis site https://s.orbis.zone/crb5

T9 is a hot ship unless you build it properly, if I boost repeatedly and jump to SC mine gets hot as well, but that's fine because it's just for hauling Tritium between stations and carrier. If you want a cool running T9 you need to build and engineer it that way. Had a quick look at your Coriolis listing, looks like everything you have in it is built to make the most heat possible although you will need some more specific advice on what to do, I don't really bother that much because as I say mines just a junker for moving Tritium around so I never bothered engineering anything.

You have a overcharged powerplant. This plant produces a lot of extra heat. The T9 is already a hot ship when charging the fsd so with this setup this is what to expect. You can limit power usage by shutting down modules. This shouls help somewhat. The best is to replace the powerplant

It isn't really a problem only going to around 82-85% before cooling off as soon as I have jumped but thought it was worth asking anyway. Never knew that the T9 ran hot normally so thanks for the clarity. (y)

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
As Varonica said I would imagine that you were boosting to escape the mass lock of the rings and then charged your FSD. As you know from fuel scooping when you charge the FSD it generates heat, but it's often very easy to forget that boosting also generates a lot of heat.

It's why if you ever drop out into the exclusion zone of a Black hole, don't boost before charging the FSD. Target the Black Hole, get it directly behind you and just fly normally for a while. Then charge your FSD. Because the ambient heat is so much higher, than boosting or too much time spent looking for your Escape Vector will toast you from the inside out :D

Maybe re-engineer the PP to armoured and monstered. Or at least apply thermal spread experimental on the current one.

Overcharged PP, reinforced shields, three boosters and dirty thrusters on a ship that is already hot by design?

I'd suggest (when you return to the Bubble or Colonia) to unlock Selene (and/or Olmanova), go down one or two shield sizes, equip HD engineered bulkheads and armour and replace the shield boosters with PDTs. Against player interdictions, those shields won't help you much, and against NPCs you only need to get away.

(includes a Guardian module reinforcement, since you can't engineer the human variant)

Against player interdictions, those shields won't help you much, and against NPCs you only need to get away.

My T9 uses size 5 shields and hasn't been taken down by an NPC so far depsite a number of interdictions, wouldn't last 2 seconds against a player murderboat of course but I rarely encounter other players

It's a very weird build, not at all optimised for mining. A weapons focused PD and 9 collector limpets would allow you to fit three lasers and mine 30% faster. I'd fit clean drives, enhanced low power shields and a non-engineered 6A PP, that can give enough power for everything. Dump the stuff that you don't need for laser mining. For laser mining, I'd make a T9 like this, which is faster, has a bigger jump range, 128T more capacity and can mine 30% faster. If you only work from the carrier, you could go much weaker on the shields:

The builds will be useful once you return to civilization
Until then, as long as your temperature does not go over 100% you have no reasons to worry and even if you get occasional spikes over 100% but below 120% you'll get only minimal thermal damage (or none at all)

Generally speaking overheating is due to a combination of bad efficiency PP (0.55, check) and high power usage (7a shields reinforced with hicap, A rated PWS, a-rated heavy duty sheild boosters - check).

Not everyone here is literate. ;)

You called? For me T9 overheating is almost mandatory anywhere near any gravity well.

Dont worry about it, it will easily do 500+ degrees (is it C or F Im not sure), lot of spitting and flashing but it wont mind at all and theres little chance of getting anywhere near that from normal SC or jumping unless stuck between 2 stars or trying to find the 'Silent Running off' key combo :)

edit: its not C or F its %

Last edited:
You called?
If the cap fits, you look good in it. :)

For me T9 overheating is almost mandatory anywhere near any gravity well.

Dont worry about it, it will easily do 500+ degrees (is it C or F Im not sure),
I read that it was percentage. When the ship's internal temperature exceeds 100%, modules will suffer damage continuously. I've never seen it below 180.

lot of spitting and flashing but it wont mind at all and theres little chance of getting anywhere near that from normal SC or jumping unless stuck between 2 stars or trying to find the 'Silent Running off' key combo :)
Heat sinks are your friend. 🌟

You called? For me T9 overheating is almost mandatory anywhere near any gravity well.

Dont worry about it, it will easily do 500+ degrees (is it C or F Im not sure), lot of spitting and flashing but it wont mind at all and theres little chance of getting anywhere near that from normal SC or jumping unless stuck between 2 stars or trying to find the 'Silent Running off' key combo :)
I bought it as a last minute idea before leaving the bubble a few months back. The idea was having a ship with enough cargo space to take 6-700tons to market on my return. The bare ship was very cheap and I had all the engineered modules in my stores from selling my Mamba and FDL prior to leaving the bubble hence the mix match of components. The temp reaches around 85% on entering supercruise and quickly returns to normal so as you say not a problem really. It works great as a laser miner in this metallic ring I filled up with 538tons with a surprisingly high amount of the 3P's, gold, osmium etc in around 2.5hrs this evening so the idea was sound.

I read that it was percentage
Something happens at 80% and then something happens at 100% which iirc youre right is module damage. Ill have to experiment. I used to panic at overheats until I learned just how hot they can go. I blew my FDL up at 700%+, I thought Id be dead at 120% with that hull.

Even my T9 with an Armored plant is pretty spicy, that’s just how it is.

Heat in small doses won’t hurt you much, especially under 150% heat. There are combat builds that are frequently above 100% at times during battle and last long enough to do so for 10-15 minutes, easy.

-Don’t spam boost when charging your FSD

-Try to line up with your destination before charging your FSD to minimize time spent spooled up

-Pop a heat sink if necessary

Seadog, you need at least an 6B powerplant and 6B distributor. I know the 6A cost a lot so you should be ok with the 'B' rated. I stopped overheating on my T9.
However, I was only using it to deliver fortify supplies to my power and for tritum. I have the build below;

Last edited:
Top Bottom