Ships Type 9 Owner's club.

I think fighting interdictions against NPCs is often a waste of time, unless your adversary is something like an Anaconda. This is assuming your T9 has shields, even better with armor as well.

When you submit, you’re still left pointing roughly towards your destination. If you fight the interdiction it will usually leave you pointed in the opposite direction.

I love my Type-9 like I love my wife. Ok maybe I love my Type-9 more than my wife so..it's like a bromance .. me .. and the ship .. mmmmmh .. the feeling of his gentle hard and cold metal on my skin .. ooooh!

kpZZLxG.jpg
c

Last edited:
The T9 is a mighty fine ship after 3.0 now. I've relieved my Cutter from cargo duty and don't regret it. That ship is now free for other things.

I've kitted and engineered the T9 to the best of my ability. It's now boosting to up to 319m/s, jumps 28ly empty, 18ly laden. has 778MJ of highly resistant shields and has 3/2 sturdy overload packhound/seeker racks to turn any NPC pirate getting fancy ideas into a bounty for me.

With 3.0 bringing the long awaited buff and the fact that I am a space trucker, my Type-9 Heavy, the Spice Rhino has replaced the Imperial Cutter as my main ship. One thing I love is that the 3 class 2 beam turrets can pretty much stay lit indefinitely when I am forced to defend myself. The Spice Rhino has 6A shields, is A-rated with Miltary Composite armor. She also has a class 5 fighter hanger and hauls 688t of cargo.

I am not done eningeering her yet but I am already making some decent money in Alliance space doing haulage and commodities trading. This ship even took out an NPC FAS the other day. I do need to get the shields and SCB’s engineered on the ASAP however.

It's definitely a capable of dealing some damage; if fitted with a fighter hangar. Myself, I didn't even arm it. 6A shields, Military Composite bulkheads, and 724 ton cargo hold. I can get away from anything save a wing of Cmdrs and I've got a fighting chance to get away from even that. The key is always submit. If your network receive rate is high, highlight but don't select a nearby star. If interdicted by a wing of Cmdrs (or even a single Cmdr), open the nav panel, click, Lock, and engage hyperdrive. Then line with the destination boosting every chance you get. No single Cmdr has a chance to take you down if you use that method. A wing of 3 or 4 MIGHT be able to, but it's nowhere near a sure thing.

Last edited:
It's definitely a capable of dealing some damage; if fitted with a fighter hangar. Myself, I didn't even arm it. 6A shields, Military Composite bulkheads, and 724 ton cargo hold. I can get away from anything save a wing of Cmdrs and I've got a fighting chance to get away from even that.

Yeah the beam turrets and the fighter on the Type-9 probably aren’t the most practical choice. But when you are interdicted by Cobra Mk III’s or Diamondback Scouts it sure is nice to turn the tables. There’s just something about the cyan colored beam turrets on my Type-9 that is mesmerizing!

One day I’ll be a good pilot with FA-off trickery and what-not and I’ll turn my Type-9 into something really crazy. Rawr!

Well, I've joined the Type 9 owner's club and I'm defnintely enjoying it so far.

I usually prefer small ships and smaller medium ships. I have more hours in my Type 6 than anything else in my almost 700 hours of Elite Dangerous; the T6 is WAY underrated and almost never mentioned on the forums or reddit. But I had the credits laying around, since my prefered ships are cheap as chips, and what with the recent buffs to cargo and mass I thought, why not? Some Galaxy Truck Simulator might be relaxing!

Right now it's fitted for 724 tons of cargo with a 6A shield. I've got chaff, point defense, and a couple of boosters in the utility slots. I had a set of 6A thrusters already engineered to G3DD so I'm using those until I can afford to buy and enigneer some 7As (I've got the money, but not much in the way of mats). Fortunately, the performance of 6A G3DD thrusters isn't far off of unengineered 7As.

I also haven't installed Military Bulkheads yet - those are pricey! I'm not sure if I should or not. I generally play in Solo or Mobius so I'm only worried about NPCs. I'm not sure if the heavier bulkheads are worth the expense and weight or not. I'm at 18LY fully laden and hesitate to give up any more range if I don't have to. Any thoughts on that?

Overall, I really like the ship so far. It's not nearly as sluggish to fly as I was expecting it to be. It's easy to fit through the mail slot and I haven't had any problems landing it - haven't tried a planetary landing yet though!

Edit - I'm also running completely unarmed. But that's normal for me unless I'm flying a dedicated combat ship.

Last edited:
Well, I've joined the Type 9 owner's club and I'm defnintely enjoying it so far.

I usually prefer small ships and smaller medium ships. I have more hours in my Type 6 than anything else in my almost 700 hours of Elite Dangerous; the T6 is WAY underrated and almost never mentioned on the forums or reddit. But I had the credits laying around, since my prefered ships are cheap as chips, and what with the recent buffs to cargo and mass I thought, why not? Some Galaxy Truck Simulator might be relaxing!

Right now it's fitted for 724 tons of cargo with a 6A shield. I've got chaff, point defense, and a couple of boosters in the utility slots. I had a set of 6A thrusters already engineered to G3DD so I'm using those until I can afford to buy and enigneer some 7As (I've got the money, but not much in the way of mats). Fortunately, the performance of 6A G3DD thrusters isn't far off of unengineered 7As.

I also haven't installed Military Bulkheads yet - those are pricey! I'm not sure if I should or not. I generally play in Solo or Mobius so I'm only worried about NPCs. I'm not sure if the heavier bulkheads are worth the expense and weight or not. I'm at 18LY fully laden and hesitate to give up any more range if I don't have to. Any thoughts on that?

Overall, I really like the ship so far. It's not nearly as sluggish to fly as I was expecting it to be. It's easy to fit through the mail slot and I haven't had any problems landing it - haven't tried a planetary landing yet though!

Edit - I'm also running completely unarmed. But that's normal for me unless I'm flying a dedicated combat ship.

I play in Open only and I do have 4 class A shield boosters fit. But I've only ever been interdicted by NPC's and only once did one break my shield but I was charged and counting down the final 5 seconds when he started landing hits on the hull. Most of them never break it at all. I would like military bulkheads, but only to give me more time if Interdicted by a Cmdr. Not needed for NPC's. Unfortunately, I can't afford Military bulkheads right now, but it won't be long before I can.

Well, I fitted heavy duty 7A shields with 4 boosters, and it gives me a peace of mind. :)

A ganker just tried to bombard me with frags outside of a CG station - since I spotted him before he opened fire (lurking close behind me), I put 4 pips on the shields and he could even remove a single ring before I jumped out. I'd say unless a pro takes my FSD out, this is an invincible trader. :)

Well, I fitted heavy duty 7A shields with 4 boosters, and it gives me a peace of mind. :)

A ganker just tried to bombard me with frags outside of a CG station - since I spotted him before he opened fire (lurking close behind me), I put 4 pips on the shields and he could even remove a single ring before I jumped out. I'd say unless a pro takes my FSD out, this is an invincible trader. :)

Good to hear a fellow trader escape. :)

Unfortunately I got caught a few CG's ago by a an Elite Anaconda with a SLF.
Basically he chased my for a couple of jumps so what with boosting and jumping, plus being mass locked while trying to finally low wake to the station, my ship started to severely overheat on top of all the thermal weapons he was pilling on me as well, so I couldn't run or jump away and that was that. Rebuy screen.

At that time I had 5D G5 shields and 7D G3 thrusters plus a couple of G3 heavy duty Boosters.
I had chaff and point defence in the other utility slots.

Now I have G5 5A shields, 7A G5 thrusters, I've swapped out the chaff for another shield booster and they are all G5 HD.

I just can't bring myself to loose a size 7 cargo slot.

I have since been jumped by two anacondas (NPCs) at the same time and manged just to keep on trucking and get home although I was down to about 60% armour.

I do like using my T9 it can be exciting at times. :)

Last edited:
Good to hear a fellow trader escape. :)

Unfortunately I got caught a few CG's ago by a an Elite Anaconda with a SLF.
Basically he chased my for a couple of jumps so what with boosting and jumping, plus being mass locked while trying to finally low wake to the station, my ship started to severely overheat on top of all the thermal weapons he was pilling on me as well, so I couldn't run or jump away and that was that. Rebuy screen.

At that time I had 5D G5 shields and 7D G3 thrusters plus a couple of G3 heavy duty Boosters.
I had chaff and point defence in the other utility slots.

Now I have G5 5A shields, 7A G5 thrusters, I've swapped out the chaff for another shield booster and they are all G5 HD.

I just can't bring myself to loose a size 7 cargo slot.

I have since been jumped by two anacondas (NPCs) at the same time and manged just to keep on trucking and get home although I was down to about 60% armour.

I do like using my T9 it can be exciting at times. :)

Well, if you are flying in open, I'd fit at least 6A shield, but since we have place for only 4 boosters, even that won't last long against a proper ganker - and remember, serious gankers usually fly mid-ships, like FAS or FDL.

In open the only option to shield tank - I've seen some comments above saying that they fit military and other +grade bulkheads, but the truth is that once your shields are down, your modules including the fsd or the thrusters are extremely vulnerable without module protection. Even with your shields are up, you can be hit with missiles that take out your FSD for some time - again something for you need a bit of extra time your shields can take, even though if the ganker is that good, even with 7A shields I won't last until my FSD re-engages. And the T9 is a sitting duck, no matter what thrusters you put on (I also have 7A DD, for the record).

Oh, and I'd suggest to swap all your chaff for shield boosters, the T9 is so big that you'll get hit no matter what. :)

As about giving up the 7-sized slot - I still carry 630t, which is way more than what my armed-trader Anaconda could. :)

Well, if you are flying in open, I'd fit at least 6A shield, but since we have place for only 4 boosters, even that won't last long against a proper ganker - and remember, serious gankers usually fly mid-ships, like FAS or FDL.

In open the only option to shield tank - I've seen some comments above saying that they fit military and other +grade bulkheads, but the truth is that once your shields are down, your modules including the fsd or the thrusters are extremely vulnerable without module protection. Even with your shields are up, you can be hit with missiles that take out your FSD for some time - again something for you need a bit of extra time your shields can take, even though if the ganker is that good, even with 7A shields I won't last until my FSD re-engages. And the T9 is a sitting duck, no matter what thrusters you put on (I also have 7A DD, for the record).

Oh, and I'd suggest to swap all your chaff for shield boosters, the T9 is so big that you'll get hit no matter what. :)

As about giving up the 7-sized slot - I still carry 630t, which is way more than what my armed-trader Anaconda could. :)

Yeah, Chaff in a T-9 is about as useful as wings on a fish; or fins on a wolf. Better to fit class A shield boosters and maybe a heatsink . Although I go with the 4 class A shield boosters, myself.

The T-9 can definitely be defeated. But not by NPC's unless the owner doesn't know what he's doing. But if I'm getting it from 2 NPC Anacondas I'm going to forget about low wake and high wake out. I've never seen an NPC follow to another system. That usually resets them.

Edit: I have seen 1 NPC not be reset, but that was a mission opponent. And he didn't follow me to other systems. Just hung around in the destination system.

Last edited:
Hello, Commanders.

New guy here, been a lurker around the forums for a while now, but finally decided to register and post. And the reason for that is that thanks to all of you (and this thread), I've decided to spend my hard-earned credits on a T9. Took a while yo save up for it, took even longer to get it to a state where it was actually useful (because I rushed things and bought it before I had enough cash to outfit it probably, which meant I had to spend some time earning MORE credits for all the equipment while my shiny new T9 was gathering dust in a hangar somewhere), but finally I made it. A few minutes ago I made my first haul in a fully laden (784t) Type 9!

Had to make quite a few jumps to find a system with enough Beryllium to fill my hold, then had to make even more jumps to sell it in Narri, but I did it! Went from a few k credits (left after filling my cargo hold) to 10+ million credits in one haul!

I love my Space Cow and none of this would have happened if I hadn't come across this thread. So a big thank you and o7 to you all :)

Hello, Commanders.

New guy here, been a lurker around the forums for a while now, but finally decided to register and post. And the reason for that is that thanks to all of you (and this thread), I've decided to spend my hard-earned credits on a T9. Took a while yo save up for it, took even longer to get it to a state where it was actually useful (because I rushed things and bought it before I had enough cash to outfit it probably, which meant I had to spend some time earning MORE credits for all the equipment while my shiny new T9 was gathering dust in a hangar somewhere), but finally I made it. A few minutes ago I made my first haul in a fully laden (784t) Type 9!

Had to make quite a few jumps to find a system with enough Beryllium to fill my hold, then had to make even more jumps to sell it in Narri, but I did it! Went from a few k credits (left after filling my cargo hold) to 10+ million credits in one haul!

I love my Space Cow and none of this would have happened if I hadn't come across this thread. So a big thank you and o7 to you all :)

You'd do better hauling basic medicines to systems in the grip of an outbreak. Just make sure they aren't industrial or high tech as they can manufacture their own medicines. They'll still pay a good price for them, but not nearly as good as systems that don't manufacture them. I usually make more than 3 million one way with a load of 720.

Last edited:
You'd do better hauling basic medicines to systems in the grip of an outbreak. (...) I usually make more than 3 million one way with a load of 720.

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep it in mind.

As it is, however, during the current CG, a trip to get the Beryllium (taking no cargo to keep the number of jumps there to a minimum) and back takes me under 15 minutes and I make 4,943 CR per ton, which means that a full haul nets me 3,875,312 CR. I am currently in the top 10% of the CG, having hauled 11k tons of cargo (around 15-17 trips), which will get me another 9.3kk CR once the event is over, so around half a million CR extra per each haul, bringing my total average earnings to around 4.3kk CR per run :) And it's more convenient also:
- I don't have to go around looking for Outbreak systems with Basic Meds nearby;
- I have access to the Bounty part of the CG (top 50% right now, so that's another 11kk tomorrow);
- I have my other ships nearby.

Once the CG is over, however, will be another matter. If they make another one with deliveries of rare items I'll have to look for an alternative way of making money with my T9, which is where your tip will come in handy :)

Finally made the Selene Jean grind with this wonderfull ship.
IMO the T9 still was one of the best miners out there. But after the buff, holy macarony, what a ship. A sh*tload of cargo, more collector limpets than healthy and still enough defensive power to survive smaller pirate attacks + a fighter, so I don't have to turn around for the most of them.

I proudly present the Onua. Here the coriolis build.

Now I'm really looking foreward to the upcomming changes to mining itself. Hopefully they're interessting enough that I don't just let it mine dust, like the past year.

Hello. I am wondering, now that the T10 and the upgraded T9 have been in service for some time.
What are the advantages and shortcomings of each.

I have the Anaconda. I use it mostly for hauling missions and CG.

What would I gain by selecting T9< >T10 ?

Thanks

Hello. I am wondering, now that the T10 and the upgraded T9 have been in service for some time.
What are the advantages and shortcomings of each.

I have the Anaconda. I use it mostly for hauling missions and CG.

What would I gain by selecting T9< >T10 ?

Thanks

Depends on your fav. gamemode. Open: T10 comperable laden jumprange to the 'Conda, able to defend itself from danger and (with turrets) one of the hardest punshing ships in ED.
But the T9, as much as I like her, is not suited for a Open-CG. Both are really slow, but the T9 is even slower and less manouverable than the T10+it has worse shields. Even if it can now haul with a basic-minimum-shield more than a Cutter, it is still a flying coffin. And if you do open CGs, well than you know as it is.

But if you only play solo, you should be able to use her without high risk. I use one of mine for solo-mission hauling and it works fine. Just be carefull of pythons, as they can easily outmanouver and than masslock you. If you wan't to go safe, maybe just carry a bit gold with you. Just in case.
The final mentionable downside is the jumprange. Don't expect to travel as far away in a T9 as you do in a 'Conda.

To sum up: Open/solo with jumprange+survivability = T10
Solo + raw payload = T9

Top Bottom