UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Same here.. most "wrecks" I've seen have been burnt out pieces of ships which usually show up as a dual signal... one with the bulk of the frame and a smaller one nearby with a cargo canister that may have rolled off from the wreck.

That right there makes me believe we are looking at potentially a future build which is quite exciting IF you consider the possibility of first person gameplay which was confirmed shortly after. Those "abandoned" ships look to be in good shape... potentially repairable and flyable. That isn't a new concept. I remember finding abandoned ships in X2 and X3 and being able to get in and fly them off and claim them. Perhaps that particular cat got let out of the bag, that said I may want to go visit Apollo and check coordinates to see if that is there.

That is a ship-graveyard POI i think, it was bugged and didn't spawn,
but a fix pre Horizons release had it in the pacthnotes.

I'm not seeing any coordinates in the video :(. Maybe the coordinates feature was included after the video was made, or intentionally left out for this demo.

edit: there's also no wave scanner.

Last edited:
Hmm I'm sure this will have been said before but..

What about if certain regions of the galaxy for some reason can cause ship malfunction, Thargoid vessels, Antares, Spaceship One. Commonalities to Spaceship One + Antares (some details of which will no doubt be revealed after the current CG completes) could hint at where large barnacles may be found.

It's just that the trailer video shows a crashed T9 then cuts to what we believe to be a large barnacle.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kF8iPf1940

I've never seen anything like that in-game. Have you? Does it show up as a POI?

Yes I have, well the ships on their own at POI sites, not multiple ships together. Seen both the Anaconda and the T9 one.

Not the best screenshot but T9 here, Anaconda screenshot I have at home :
uc
Those are the type you see for static persistent POI, and no both time I saw then they did not appear on the ship scanner, only visible by eye.

They do not seem to appear on the scanner in the video either, though obviously they'll be using an feature imcomplete build.

Last edited:
While I agree a lot of the other links are a bit tenuous, the UA/Barnacle link makes sense. From a game design point of view, it doesn't make sense to introduce two alien elements, while clearly furthering an alien storyline (via palin) and then go "nope, these two things have nothing to do with each other". From a lore and logic point of view it doesn't make sense for two alien thing to occupy space near human space, when humans have only ever discovered one alien race in the past.

This is a point that needs to be corrected, and it's one I've brought up before..

Thargoids are NOT the only alien species in the Elite universe, matter of fact, a number of worlds now occupied only by Humanity were indeed once the homeworlds of different alien species, sentient space traveling races no less. Combined with the fact that Thargoid technology is NOT an unknown to Humanity, I've been unable to figure out why so many people, quite a few who should know better mind you, keep insisting the UA's are of Thargoid origin. Humans and Thargoids had an alliance, we lived and worked side by side with them, technology was freely shared between us, this went on for some time, so we KNOW Thargoid technology. The UAs are totally unknown, therefore, they can't be Thargoid.

And let us just totally overlook the fact that the Thargoids didn't come from the direction of Merope shall we? They came from a different section of the galaxy all together, pretty much 180 from Merope and the Pleiades, something people should be able to remember as the Line was held for a very long time by GalPol and then INRA.

The UAs are a rather cool puzzle, but so many of you are trying to put together a puzzle using a picture you've already built up in your heads without looking at the box the puzzle came in at all. Yeah, Thargoids were the big bad alien invaders once upon a time, but they ceased to be the bad guys in the last game of the series, remember? There ARE other aliens out there, and quite a few of them have bones to pick with Humanity, after all, we took over their homeworlds, wiped out entire races as well, so there's probably a few of them out there looking for some serious payback.

David has been clear, Thargoids are out there, and they aren't the only aliens out there either....maybe people should start thinking about all the OTHER aliens that Humanity has ticked off?

This is a point that needs to be corrected, and it's one I've brought up before..

Thargoids are NOT the only alien species in the Elite universe, matter of fact, a number of worlds now occupied only by Humanity were indeed once the homeworlds of different alien species, sentient space traveling races no less. Combined with the fact that Thargoid technology is NOT an unknown to Humanity, I've been unable to figure out why so many people, quite a few who should know better mind you, keep insisting the UA's are of Thargoid origin. Humans and Thargoids had an alliance, we lived and worked side by side with them, technology was freely shared between us, this went on for some time, so we KNOW Thargoid technology. The UAs are totally unknown, therefore, they can't be Thargoid.

And let us just totally overlook the fact that the Thargoids didn't come from the direction of Merope shall we? They came from a different section of the galaxy all together, pretty much 180 from Merope and the Pleiades, something people should be able to remember as the Line was held for a very long time by GalPol and then INRA.

The UAs are a rather cool puzzle, but so many of you are trying to put together a puzzle using a picture you've already built up in your heads without looking at the box the puzzle came in at all. Yeah, Thargoids were the big bad alien invaders once upon a time, but they ceased to be the bad guys in the last game of the series, remember? There ARE other aliens out there, and quite a few of them have bones to pick with Humanity, after all, we took over their homeworlds, wiped out entire races as well, so there's probably a few of them out there looking for some serious payback.

David has been clear, Thargoids are out there, and they aren't the only aliens out there either....maybe people should start thinking about all the OTHER aliens that Humanity has ticked off?

Yeah but REPEATEDLY in Beta and last year DB and MB both said Thargoids are "coming". I remember distinctly 3-4 times. They are out there just not discovered yet.

You could be right though they could be a completely different thing than the UA mystery and maybe we are looking in the wrong direction for the barnacles? You know some of the star systems we know of that Thargoids were known to have inhabited?

What I got between 0 and 1:37

B K N O B N O R K B R B O N B E K O N K E B K N K N E B O N K E N R K R E K N K O R

probably more accurate than mine.
If possible I'd like the sound gurus to process the longest available recording - then we can see.
- does the pattern repeat or is it random
If there's a pattern:
- do beacons use the same pattern
- is there a hidden 'over here' message

My point had literally nothing to do with Thargoids but ok.
The point was, from a storywriting within a game point of view, you don't create one big alien mystery, then start pushing story content to advance it at the same time as releasing another big alien mystery, and have those two alien mysteries be completely unrelated. it makes no sense, people will naturally make the connection between them and you'll only throw people off/ make them feel disconnected from the story if you go "no no no, those aliens are completely DIFFERENT aliens, we're not actually advancing this alien plot, we're creating an entire NEW one"

On this we definitely agree. However, you could also argue that at the moment our opinions are the only things we have to run on, so should follow through theories based on them until we can find some sort of proof elsewhere or stumble across it.
I 100% agree with that. I've only raised a flag when something that is (or at least should be) an opinion or theory gets stated in a way that makes it sound as fact. Doing that risks people that don't have all the information assume that it is indeed a fact. This is a long thread with many factors that are already really difficult to keep track of. So I think we should try to keep confusion to a minimum.

That's my opinion anyway ;)

Same here.. most "wrecks" I've seen have been burnt out pieces of ships which usually show up as a dual signal... one with the bulk of the frame and a smaller one nearby with a cargo canister that may have rolled off from the wreck.

That right there makes me believe we are looking at potentially a future build which is quite exciting IF you consider the possibility of first person gameplay which was confirmed shortly after. Those "abandoned" ships look to be in good shape... potentially repairable and flyable. That isn't a new concept. I remember finding abandoned ships in X2 and X3 and being able to get in and fly them off and claim them. Perhaps that particular cat got let out of the bag, that said I may want to go visit Apollo and check coordinates to see if that is there.

I've found a few mini-bases on planets, nothing too unusual, but in those you can sometimes find a hatch with a door. First time I found one it reminded me of something I might have seen in Mass Effect - as if it was designed so that someday you could get out of your SRV, open the door, and go inside.

Has anyone tried punching a UA in the face?

In many movies, solutions are found by punching things (people, animals, etc) in the face. The UA seems to have a face, and therefore it can be punched there. Maybe it'll squeal and tell us what it knows. Or maybe punching it in the face will simply provide a sense of moral rectitude.

If that doesn't work - we could approach a UA nonchalantly and take up a position as though we are waiting to have our shoes shined by it, then hand over a £20 note and whisper "What's the word on the street, Johnny?"

If that doesn't work, back to punches in the face, repeatedly.

(It has to be in the face though, or it won't work. Right in the face)

What a very human solution. Maybe what we need to do is pick up a UA, bring it to Earth, punch it in the face and say "Welcome to Earf."

The point was, from a storywriting within a game point of view, you don't create one big alien mystery, then start pushing story content to advance it at the same time as releasing another big alien mystery, and have those two alien mysteries be completely unrelated. it makes no sense, people will naturally make the connection between them and you'll only throw people off/ make them feel disconnected from the story if you go "no no no, those aliens are completely DIFFERENT aliens, we're not actually advancing this alien plot, we're creating an entire NEW one"

Doesn't have to be a big alien mystery. Red Herrings are a tried and true storytelling medium. Though you're probably right, all of this stuff is getting a bit too big to be a red herring anymore. But that doesn't mean there aren't red herrings in the mix.

Something that probably has been done but I don't know for sure so I'll ask anyway:

Has someone taken a UA to EVERY planet in Merope, dropped it, and listened to it in the SRV?

Possibly it transmits coordinates when you're on the right planet? I can't help but feel that the UAs are there specifically to communicate with us, and lead us somewhere. There's no other reason why they'd use a human language if they were there for some other purpose.

It does seem the UA are increasing in number though almost like the processing nodes from Merope on up to Pleiades forming a Octonions hypercube topology as the nodes increase in number.

What i was getting at here is NASA has 2 supercomputers it uses for modeling the smaller one Merope was built with older parts (processors) from the much larger one Pleiades which uses hypercube topology, which happens to look a lot like the "shell" when mapped out in multiple dimensions.

Yeah but REPEATEDLY in Beta and last year DB and MB both said Thargoids are "coming". I remember distinctly 3-4 times. They are out there just not discovered yet.

You could be right though they could be a completely different thing than the UA mystery and maybe we are looking in the wrong direction for the barnacles? You know some of the star systems we know of that Thargoids were known to have inhabited?

Actual star systems to look in are a bit difficult to get, since the previous games used a different setup for space, after all, the first Elite had us going to multiple different galaxies, not just moving around the Milky Way itself. A ship was found around Polaris, from whence you get transported instantly to the Miacke system, over 1000 LY distance, as Thargoid hyperspace technology is WAY more advanced than Humanity's, and they may even come from the dimension that we call Witchspace, we don't really know. We do know the Line was held over towards Polaris, not towards the Pleiades, as that was the direction that most of the Thargoid interactions with Humanity were taking place. Which doesn't mean a lot since we're not even sure they live in our own dimension to begin with, although INRA was pretty sure they had a homeworld in the Milky Way, so...

They are evidently ammonia based insectoid lifeforms with a hive mind, all female, and they aren't all the same, it would seem there are different...branches, sects, not really sure what to call them, of Thargoids. We ended the last game being at peace with them and having technological and cultural exchanges.

David has stated that any peace with the Thargoids may be short lived, so they may well show up as enemy forces. We do know their technology however, so the UA's should be from some OTHER alien race out there, which we do know exist, Humanity has wiped a few of them out as I said, and David was clear, there are other alien races out there and they'll show up in Elite Dangerous.

I highly recommend this site for more information, Drew is a good source of information and has published an official Elite Dangerous novel, so he's got some good intel. http://www.drewwagar.com/progress-report/thargoids-the-definitive-guide/

What i was getting at here is NASA has 2 supercomputers it uses for modeling the smaller one Merope was built with older parts (processors) from the much larger one Pleiades which uses hypercube topology, which happens to look a lot like the "shell" when mapped out in multiple dimensions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are describing a tesseract. It's interesting but I'm not sure what kind of useful information we could get from that.

Actual star systems to look in are a bit difficult to get, since the previous games used a different setup for space, after all, the first Elite had us going to multiple different galaxies, not just moving around the Milky Way itself. A ship was found around Polaris, from whence you get transported instantly to the Miacke system, over 1000 LY distance, as Thargoid hyperspace technology is WAY more advanced than Humanity's, and they may even come from the dimension that we call Witchspace, we don't really know. We do know the Line was held over towards Polaris, not towards the Pleiades, as that was the direction that most of the Thargoid interactions with Humanity were taking place. Which doesn't mean a lot since we're not even sure they live in our own dimension to begin with, although INRA was pretty sure they had a homeworld in the Milky Way, so...

They are evidently ammonia based insectoid lifeforms with a hive mind, all female, and they aren't all the same, it would seem there are different...branches, sects, not really sure what to call them, of Thargoids. We ended the last game being at peace with them and having technological and cultural exchanges.

David has stated that any peace with the Thargoids may be short lived, so they may well show up as enemy forces. We do know their technology however, so the UA's should be from some OTHER alien race out there, which we do know exist, Humanity has wiped a few of them out as I said, and David was clear, there are other alien races out there and they'll show up in Elite Dangerous.

I highly recommend this site for more information, Drew is a good source of information and has published an official Elite Dangerous novel, so he's got some good intel.http://www.drewwagar.com/progress-report/thargoids-the-definitive-guide/

Polaris has to be the key. What if you do a jump from a system on one side of Polaris to a system on the other side, such that your jump would take you through Polaris, and then see if anything weird appears in the witchspace transition?

Last edited:

on the other hand, a single-threaded, linear story might be boring ;) Any good movie or TV series has several sub-plots going on at the same time.

I also saw mention in Drew Wagar's posts about past games, that there were multiple branches of the story that were pre-written, and player actions could trigger them. Not clear if multiple branches could be triggered or if they were mutually exclusive. He also indicates there is "the main thargoids plot" and that there are other plots outside of that.
http://www.drewwagar.com/progress-report/thargoids-the-definitive-guide/
(see the july 11 2015 comments)

Hmm I'm sure this will have been said before but..

What about if certain regions of the galaxy for some reason can cause ship malfunction, Thargoid vessels, Antares, Spaceship One. Commonalities to Spaceship One + Antares (some details of which will no doubt be revealed after the current CG completes) could hint at where large barnacles may be found.

Like the Bermuda Triangle?

I have something to add to this 'are the UAs Thargoid?' debate.

I, personally, do NOT think UAs are of Thargoid origin. I however believe they are the introduction to the Thargoid storyline.

[metagame]

What better way to introduce a new alien species in a game through another species already introduced? I think the introduction of Thargoids will coincide with the introduction of the new species which is the source of the UAs, and Thargoids will be the vessel to inform us about them. Thargoids will appear and ask for help from humanity against this whole new threat they had been struggling against for some time now.

This will open up a new gameplay structure through Thargoid missions where we get to coop with them for various tasks.

[/metagame]

I don't think they have ever said that the Thargoids are "here" though. Saying they are "coming" doesn't imply they are already out there. Other things that DB and/or MB have repeatedly said are "coming":
  • Player characters.
  • Passenger missions.
  • Crew members.
Those are clearly not in-game yet, so no need to jump to conclusions.

probably more accurate than mine.
If possible I'd like the sound gurus to process the longest available recording - then we can see.
- does the pattern repeat or is it random
If there's a pattern:
- do beacons use the same pattern
- is there a hidden 'over here' message

B K N O B N O R K B R B O N B E K O N K E B K N K N E B O N K E N R K R E K N K O R N R E H N E B R K B E N K R B E R K E O K O E H R N E R E N B R N B R O R E R E R O E R K E O B O E R B O K N O R O K E R B E O B N E K B O R ? R B R O B K H O E O N B E R ? K B H N O R N R O R H K E O R O R ? B E R O E R ? O K B K K B N ? B O B O B R K E N E R O E B R O R B E R B N

All 7 minutes, according to my ear - which will make mistakes.

Your welcome to deduce a pattern. My morse head is imploding.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like you are describing a tesseract. It's interesting but I'm not sure what kind of useful information we could get from that.

If there was a relationship we would be looking for a larger tesseract in the Pleaides where the Large Barnacle resides.

I have something to add to this 'are the UAs Thargoid?' debate.

I, personally, do NOT think UAs are of Thargoid origin. I however believe they are the introduction to the Thargoid storyline.

[metagame]

What better way to introduce a new alien species in a game through another species already introduced? I think the introduction of Thargoids will coincide with the introduction of the new species which is the source of the UAs, and Thargoids will be the vessel to inform us about them. Thargoids will appear and ask for help from humanity against this whole new threat they had been struggling against for some time now.

This will open up a new gameplay structure through Thargoid missions where we get to coop with them for various tasks.

[/metagame]

Or plot twist... this new alien species/race is asking for our help with the Thargoids because the last time we helped them they went after them maybe?

Now that would be an interesting spin on it!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom