UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Because if it takes your Executive Producer to come to the forums and post "I'd have a look around here", then your hints weren't hints; they were so obscure they may as well have not existed from a gameplay experience.

On gameplay experience, there's other ways this could've been delivered.
- A Galnet article in Maia or even on Galnet proper, like this: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=138901
- Through Palin's stuff
- Through a "Collect UA's" CG like the one I proposed
- Or many more mechanics.

Instead, we get a forum post from FD staff. Can you feel the fourth wall breaking all around you yet?

This is all again a byproduct of throwing content out there with nothing to follow to it and just hoping someone finds it, but I won't keep harping on about why that's a dumb design principle.

Again though, if sitting on the RNG hamster wheel is your idea of fun then by all means, don't let my complaints hamper your progress, but for me there's better things to be doing in game than that.

You're missing the point here completely, THE UA'S ALL POINTED AT MEROPE, AT THE PLEIADES! The ONLY other alien thing we have encountered so far in this game pointed to this place, the vast majority of people on this instantly assumed the Pleiades was the place to look. All MB did was go "yep right place" and you're saying "oh we needed him to accomplish this".
No the problem with this is that we spent a whole lot of man hours searching the Pleiades when we first heard about barnacles and meta-alloys but didn't find anything. It's not that the clue he gave us needed to be given, it's that even with it we're still in the dark.
I'm not disagreeing that its a pretty bad design principle over all, I'm just saying what you are accusing of being bad is not the problem at all.

This was all a part of the UA mystery and we figured it out and then went "ah probably nothing in merope anyway" and left it after a search that apparently did not go on for long enough. In fact there is probably more to the UA mystery that tells us where in the Pleiades to look as well, though I agree if we haven't found it by now it was probably too subtle.

Well I just covered 1 degree of latitude in about 40 mins and I was literally flying in my SRV. You can see how long this is going to take. Like I said 1 meridian which is still just a sliver will take upwards of 20-30 hrs to cover. We we get hundreds of people each taking one degree we can narrow it down but then repeat this against hundreds of possible moons.

Someone is going to need to get lucky or we'll need another clue..

"The `lost Pleiad' legend came about to explain why only six are easily visible to the unaided eye. This sister is variously said to be Electra, who veiled her face at the burning of Troy, appearing to mortals afterwards only as a comet; or Merope, who was shamed for marrying a mortal; or Celæno, who was struck by a thunderbolt."

just something I found from a quick google, could be any of the 3

And right you are. There are options in the myths.

Well I just covered 1 degree of latitude in about 40 mins and I was literally flying in my SRV. You can see how long this is going to take. Like I said 1 meridian which is still just a sliver will take upwards of 20-30 hrs to cover. We we get hundreds of people each taking one degree we can narrow it down but then repeat this against hundreds of possible moons.

Someone is going to need to get lucky or we'll need another clue..
As I said before search from your ship and you'll get things done about 20-30 times faster.

I was interested in Maia A 1 A, because:

It's inside the nebula (Merope isn't)
It's the system chosen for the station and base and the one Palin is interested in.
A 1 A is a metal moon, the only landable object in the system that has a written description, and is the moon that Obsidian Orbital orbits, and OO developed issues.

On investigation, it has a large impact crater, one of the ones visible from supercruise, which happens to be perfectly in the center of the 'dark side' of this tidally locked moon

I headed down to take a look, and spotted that just to one side of the main impact crater was a set of dark canyons, and went to take a look. As I got right to the edge (not quite inside the canyon) I found a POI with 2 sentries, 2 turrets and 5 mining rigs. I took out all the defenses and blew up the rigs, which just gave standard metals (Bauxite, Osmium).

Unfortunately I then had to log, I'll look around that area more closely tomorrow.

The CG system was B1BA. When I was there, I thought it had a standard rocky world description.

Hope this isn't a prank, cos I'm gonna have to fly 1000LY to check out Atlas now.

This guy is well known on Reddit - reckons the Canonn is withholding information on the UAs and that I'm some sort of evil despot (oh and that everyone else are my 'minions' - I know: literally cried with laughter).

He tried to get people to take down Bond Hub - except we wouldn't have minded (indeed a few of us tried way before they did)!

Oh and the real kicker - he thinks Arcanonn is made up.

So: such troll; very lies.

You're missing the point here completely, THE UA'S ALL POINTED AT MEROPE, AT THE PLEIADES! The ONLY other alien thing we have encountered so far in this game pointed to this place, the vast majority of people on this instantly assumed the Pleiades was the place to look. All MB did was go "yep right place" and you're saying "oh we needed him to accomplish this".
No the problem with this is that we spent a whole lot of man hours searching the Pleiades when we first heard about barnacles and meta-alloys but didn't find anything. It's not that the clue he gave us needed to be given, it's that even with it we're still in the dark.
I'm not disagreeing that its a pretty bad design principle over all, I'm just saying what you are accusing of being bad is not the problem at all.

This was all a part of the UA mystery and we figured it out and then went "ah probably nothing in merope anyway" and left it after a search that apparently did not go on for long enough. In fact there is probably more to the UA mystery that tells us where in the Pleiades to look as well, though I agree if we haven't found it by now it was probably too subtle.
No actually, I get the point completely, but I'm not here to give history lessons or make sure everyone's viewpoint coincides with my own. I've said my piece, that's all I set out to do.

"The `lost Pleiad' legend came about to explain why only six are easily visible to the unaided eye. This sister is variously said to be Electra, who veiled her face at the burning of Troy, appearing to mortals afterwards only as a comet; or Merope, who was shamed for marrying a mortal; or Celæno, who was struck by a thunderbolt."

just something I found from a quick google, could be any of the 3

Good to know there's not too much ambiguity then!

'Par for the course'...

In Merope 5C I found the MiSTIEST crater I've ever seen so far, and I've seen a lot, trust me.
It's Huge, and you cannot see farther than 50mt. From the ship, you cannot see the terrain, until you are 50mt from it.

Yes, Merope has the most boring planets in all the Pleiades, Rocky Planets, BUT, as David Braben said, in his misty crater video, this mist forms mainly on rocky bodies. Dust.

Last edited:
This guy is well known on Reddit - reckons the Canonn is withholding information on the UAs and that I'm some sort of evil despot (oh and that everyone else are my 'minions' - I know: literally cried with laughter).

He tried to get people to take down Bond Hub - except we wouldn't have minded (indeed a few of us tried way before they did)!

OK every bit of that is laughable.

Canonn was founded on keeping all our discussion right here in the open specifically because it's about the science and not about "who wins", we literally do it here to keep it as inclusive to everyone as is possible rather than on a private forum like other groups do. If you're not in the Canonn who gives a monkey's, it's about exploring the mystery. Why put some arbitary division like a player group in the way of that, doin' science isn't like Powerplay where that stuff matters.

Oh well.

Last edited:
In Merope 5C I found the MiSTIEST crater I've ever seen so far, and I've seen a lot, trust me.
It's Huge, and you cannot see farther than 50mt. From the ship, you cannot see the terrain, until you are 50mt from it.

Yes, Merope has the most boring planets in all the Pleiades, Rocky Planets, BUT, the David Braben, in his misty crater video, said this mist forms mainly on rocky bodies. Dust.

can you give lat e long?

Its not about you, the goal here is to find the meta alloys and solve the unknown artifact theory. Now yes we have found crashed anacondas and type 9s in atlas today, u can take that or u can just get abusive towards everyone who doesnt follow u blindly, i really dont care for the internal disuptes and arguements within cannon research.

I expect however u will try to continue to dominate youre baby and all that so all i have to say is the information i am giving is in good faith towards those that arent part of the cliche on either side, those that are enjoying the hunt

Maia is obviously a duster, merope as well its had hundreds searching for days and no results. So again im making actualy progress thinking outside of the box. And im sure others can follow my leads and see if NEW and FRESH eyes and thinking can actually blow this open.

Now lets stop the personal back and forward and get on with it, im sure we can check our over inflated egos at the door on this one :)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom