UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Possible clue? Anyone have a permit and can check it out? I'm going to work on the permit myself - this star is about 200LY from Merope.. at the edge of civilized space and the Pleades cluster..

RUMORED ALIEN ARTIFACTS FROM DEEP SPACE

http://i.imgur.com/z19GcbV.jpg

Many have permits to this system. Nothing to be found as of yet, but go ahead and give it a look. You will find the permit missions in a nearby system. Search the forums, as there is a dedicated thread for this system.

I've been there, definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Only thing I can come up with is the Kerb system and that doesn't use all of the letters. Unless it's referring to the Kerbon system, which I'm pretty sure doesn't exist in this game. OMG, maybe they are telling us to play Kerbal Space Program!

BARNACLES CONFIRMED IN KERBAL SPACE PROGRAM. :eek:

On a more serious note can we drop the game file crap? The spelling didn't matter before and it doesn't matter now, especially after MB has confirmed they are working just fine.

I don't think you can. It talks about ships passing through the atmosphere. Once we have atmospheric landings you might be a galactic KOS but right now we can't land in an atmosphere.

I just cashed in a bunch of exploration data and did a few missions and barely even made a dent in my faction with them.. ugh..

Going to take a while to get a permit. Might need to go get a bunch of rares and sell there.
Bounties might be a better bet, or mission running. I'm already at friendly.
What do you mean?
Some think that the misspelling of barnacle in the game files(spelled barnicle) is causing the barnacles not to appear.
Except there is no way to prove that when we don't even know where to look in the first place.

As such they are using it as an excuse not to search what so ever.

What do you mean?

I guess Im one of those people who when doing a jigsaw puzzle think that looking at the picture on the box is cheating. In a game - i think trolling through game files and then discussing whether certain game elements exist or are working properly based on those actions as cheating - or at the very least poor form. If people think there is a bug - there is a forum for that. I was against the idea of using the ignore button at first ... but its the easiest solution.

I guess Im one of those people who when doing a jigsaw puzzle think that looking at the picture on the box is cheating. In a game - i think trolling through game files and then discussing whether certain game elements exist or are working properly based on those actions as cheating - or at the very least poor form. If people think there is a bug - there is a forum for that. I was against the idea of using the ignore button at first ... but its the easiest solution.

Oh I see what you mean. The files are hidden quite well. (Tried to get the accurate Anaconda Model so I could 3d print it)

Been lurking the UA threads since they started but finally got a reason to delurk. I started out by thinking about this whole thing as a scientist and IT geek, both of which are my "professional skills" but after getting nowhere like that I recently put on my "amateur hat" as a writer of mediocre science fiction. I started thinking about what's been observed so far as plot elements rather than data points.

These things are clearly technological in nature, the product of an advanced technology but one that is fundamentally incompatible with some aspects of human technology. As such it's unsurprising that they should resist analysis BY human technology. So if I were writing the story, how would I allow the "breakthrough" to be made - because a breakthrough HAS to happen or the story goes nowhere. I'd go for the "rosetta stone" gambit. Find something else that is a product of the same technology but that we can reverse engineer, discover its operating principles and then extrapolate to the UAs. I think, at this stage in the game we've discovered almost all that we are going to from UAs alone. An additional component is required. I'd bet my boots on that.

Where in the galaxy would I put that thing? The Merope system is an obvious candidate, but I wonder if it is TOO obvious. I know I hate to make my stories that predictable, if they all orient on Merope that's way too heavy a hint. On the other hand, with an entire galaxy to search, maybe that heavy a hint is required. I'd call it a coin-toss whether the unknown additional factor we are searching for is to be found anywhere in the Merope system or not.

Relationship to thargoids? I think not. The lore contains a lot of info that points to humanity having a pretty decent database on thargoids and if the UAs were thargoid tech we'd know it by now. Even if you don't understand it, determining that the technology of multiple unknown items has a similar base and are likely to be products of the SAME technology is a lot simpler than reverse engineering that tech base. As far back as FE we had examples of thargoid tech in human hands. If the UAs were thargoid in origin, they wouldn't be "unknown" they'd be "thargoid artifacts" FD have multiple "story arcs" in the works and they don't need to be related. How often have you seen "worlds" where multiple authors create independent stories that just happen to cross over each other a few times, often resulting in collaborative short stories? I don't think this "story" is related to thargoids. They may even be being "written" by completely separate people at FD.

We know there are multiple alien species out there, we know there are "story elements" (although not necessarily involved in OUR story here) for which space has already been reserved by permit-locking areas of space. Personally I don't think we are looking at the product of any that we may encounter. IF I were writing the UA story, the reason we can't find any trace of them other than these fragments is because they are long gone. They are dead, may well have been extinct before we climbed out of the primal slime on Earth. Remember we're only landing on planets where things don't erode and decay as fast as they would on a world with an atmosphere at this stage. I would want the "breakthrough" I was talking about to be possible in season 2 and for a long-extinct species, that means the only place we'll find traces of them is on exactly the types of world we can now access. The UAs were the primary plot element in season 1, there's going to be another for this story in season 2.

Fascinating thread. So glad I stumbled on it. Why would they aim at the star (when in system)? If they are "friendly" perhaps that's the first system they'll jump to before approaching the bubble? Aka, "we see you, now look where we're pointing"? Also, if they're transmitting a morse code type language reflecting the ships they scan, isn't that an acknowledgement that they "recognise" us as a star fairing species? IOW, could they be suggesting a diplomatic meeting place for first contact?

Been lurking the UA threads since they started but finally got a reason to delurk. I started out by thinking about this whole thing as a scientist and IT geek, both of which are my "professional skills" but after getting nowhere like that I recently put on my "amateur hat" as a writer of mediocre science fiction. I started thinking about what's been observed so far as plot elements rather than data points.

These things are clearly technological in nature, the product of an advanced technology but one that is fundamentally incompatible with some aspects of human technology. As such it's unsurprising that they should resist analysis BY human technology. So if I were writing the story, how would I allow the "breakthrough" to be made - because a breakthrough HAS to happen or the story goes nowhere. I'd go for the "rosetta stone" gambit. Find something else that is a product of the same technology but that we can reverse engineer, discover its operating principles and then extrapolate to the UAs. I think, at this stage in the game we've discovered almost all that we are going to from UAs alone. An additional component is required. I'd bet my boots on that.

Where in the galaxy would I put that thing? The Merope system is an obvious candidate, but I wonder if it is TOO obvious. I know I hate to make my stories that predictable, if they all orient on Merope that's way too heavy a hint. On the other hand, with an entire galaxy to search, maybe that heavy a hint is required. I'd call it a coin-toss whether the unknown additional factor we are searching for is to be found anywhere in the Merope system or not.

Relationship to thargoids? I think not. The lore contains a lot of info that points to humanity having a pretty decent database on thargoids and if the UAs were thargoid tech we'd know it by now. Even if you don't understand it, determining that the technology of multiple unknown items has a similar base and are likely to be products of the SAME technology is a lot simpler than reverse engineering that tech base. As far back as FE we had examples of thargoid tech in human hands. If the UAs were thargoid in origin, they wouldn't be "unknown" they'd be "thargoid artifacts" FD have multiple "story arcs" in the works and they don't need to be related. How often have you seen "worlds" where multiple authors create independent stories that just happen to cross over each other a few times, often resulting in collaborative short stories? I don't think this "story" is related to thargoids. They may even be being "written" by completely separate people at FD.

We know there are multiple alien species out there, we know there are "story elements" (although not necessarily involved in OUR story here) for which space has already been reserved by permit-locking areas of space. Personally I don't think we are looking at the product of any that we may encounter. IF I were writing the UA story, the reason we can't find any trace of them other than these fragments is because they are long gone. They are dead, may well have been extinct before we climbed out of the primal slime on Earth. Remember we're only landing on planets where things don't erode and decay as fast as they would on a world with an atmosphere at this stage. I would want the "breakthrough" I was talking about to be possible in season 2 and for a long-extinct species, that means the only place we'll find traces of them is on exactly the types of world we can now access. The UAs were the primary plot element in season 1, there's going to be another for this story in season 2.

Very nice analysis, +1!

As far as my own SciFi critique goes, there are some elephants in the room surrounding the story of the UAs and their origin.

We are again metagamedesigning here so sorry to break immersion. People who don't like this kind of game discussion can skip the post since it won't be adding to the in game research of the UA mystery.

The data surrounding the in game story of UA research is nowhere to be found. Simplest example is, the UAs damage ships but we have no in game lore as to how they do it. They are emitting some kind of radiation but what kind? It's definitely something the hull of our ships can endure therefore it can't be anything we are not familiar with. They emit something which is found in space or at least within the known electromagnetic spectrum.

For this to be the case, they have to have some machinery which produces this radiation or some radioactive element(s) present in it's make up. Even if we can't know what it's origins are, with the technology we have today in real life we could easily analyse them to see what elements they are made of, with what kind of a molecular structure these elements come together and so on. With the technology of 1300 years into the future, they should have the technology to pinpoint where in the universe those atoms came from, let alone where from within the galaxy.

Why I'm saying this is, actually FD doesn't need another component to the story in the form of a new entity to enter the picture. They can simply release data on UA research from in game scientists and be done with it. If the barnacles and UAs are related, my take would be that after quite a few people get meta alloys in their possession, FD will release a story element such as 'new research on Meta-Alloys confirm suspicions on the nature of UA. They are such and such' and use this information to introduce their makers in the game.

All this of course doesn't get us any closer to finding a barnacle or a chunk of meta alloy.

Fascinating thread. So glad I stumbled on it. Why would they aim at the star (when in system)? If they are "friendly" perhaps that's the first system they'll jump to before approaching the bubble? Aka, "we see you, now look where we're pointing"? Also, if they're transmitting a morse code type language reflecting the ships they scan, isn't that an acknowledgement that they "recognise" us as a star fairing species? IOW, could they be suggesting a diplomatic meeting place for first contact?

My hypothesis for pointing at the star when in system is.
It is designed to report back to somewhere in Merope from other systems, so is programed to point at the star, that's as accurate as us required. It is not designed to be used in Merope, but continues to follow it's programming. Just as RL earth probes are programmed to point at earth, not specifically at the receiving station.

Last edited:
My hypothesis for pointing at the star when in system is.
It is designed to report back to somewhere in Merope from other systems, so is programed to point at the star, that's as accurate as us required. It is not designed to be used in Merope, but continues to follow it's programming. Just as RL earth probes are programmed to point at earth, not specifically at the receiving station.

But we don't point the signals toward the sun, we point them to our planet.

But we don't point the signals toward the sun, we point them to our planet.

With our technology, we assume that things have to be somewhere in the star's system.

With SciFi though, the thing UAs are communicating with can very well be IN the star itself!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom