UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Ninja'd but I wasn't sure if the comment was sarcastic or not - because, let's face it - the clue was huge!

Very true, now to see if we can actually find them now that we know where to look :p
I sure hope my UA theory is right, anyone have any information on listening to them? I have never been any good at understanding what the damn things are saying.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

So huge that no one really knew where to look? Its obvious now we've been told, not so obvious before.

We've literally been looking in the Pleiades more than anywhere else, it was the first place we started look and we have been looking there ever since. all the hint does is confirm we've been looking in the right place, it was obvious before we just wanted to keep an open mind.
The problem is how rare they seem to be even once you're in the right place, I'll admit that is a problem considering they are supposed to be "common" in said part of space.

Last edited:
Very true, now to see if we can actually find them now that we know where to look :p
I sure hope my UA theory is right, anyone have any information on listening to them? I have never been any good at understanding what the damn things are saying.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

We've literally been looking in the Pleiades more than anywhere else, all the hint does is confirm we've been looking in the right place, it was obvious before we just wanted to keep an open mind.

Well its only a matter of time now and I'll be focusing my efforts there. I had a dream last night about Thargoids and er, David Braben :( , so focused upon this I am..

And what do you know, we now have a lead.. I must be reaching out with the force. :)

Last edited:
So huge that no one really knew where to look? Its obvious now we've been told, not so obvious before.

Not being critical of you, you understand.

From day one of Horizons, there were tonnes of CMDRs looking around Merope, because that's where the UAs pointed - we knew there had to be something important about that system and, with the connections in lore, the Pleiades in general.

Many of us gave up looking at Merope, but many have kept at it - seeing the connection and continuing to explore - but not necessarily always knowing what to look for.

I think the thing we've been most guilty of is not trusting our collective instincts enough. 'Large Barnacles' definitely has similarities to UAs (and they're currently the only known alien-like 'things' except for Alien Artefacts, which are simply canisters) - but there was enough doubt to prevent a full-blown association from that to UAs, and to Merope and the surrounding area.

Sometimes we might need to just think a bit more simply!

I have several more hours before I get home. Can't wait to start searching once more.

I don't have cargo space on my DBX though, I'll not be able to take anything with me if I, however unlikely, find a barnacle.

Anyone have a search strategy recommendation?

We've literally been looking in the Pleiades more than anywhere else,
Well, that's actually the question. I've previously assumed this before, but I wonder, how many of us did actually check systems other than Merope and Maia? How many systems that are not one of the Seven Sisters have been checked?
Because most talk revolved around Merope and Maia, with a few mentions of places like Pleione, I think. But I don't remember anyone saying "I'm currently having a look in Pleiades Sector XYZ-123.".

Personally I have only checked Merope and Maia, would be nice if others could weigh in, so we might be able to figure out which places we have actually had a look at already.

Last edited:
Not being critical of you, you understand.

From day one of Horizons, there were tonnes of CMDRs looking around Merope, because that's where the UAs pointed - we knew there had to be something important about that system and, with the connections in lore, the Pleiades in general.

Many of us gave up looking at Merope, but many have kept at it - seeing the connection and continuing to explore - but not necessarily always knowing what to look for.

I think the thing we've been most guilty of is not trusting our collective instincts enough. 'Large Barnacles' definitely has similarities to UAs (and they're currently the only known alien-like 'things' except for Alien Artefacts, which are simply canisters) - but there was enough doubt to prevent a full-blown association from that to UAs, and to Merope and the surrounding area.

Sometimes we might need to just think a bit more simply!

Agreed. At least now we can stop driving ourselves mad and focus our search. I'm on this and always have. You have no idea what I've been learning and how much background research I've been doing. In a way thats cool because I expanded my knowledge, and I suspect we all might have benefited from that. Its a great venture and I'm just pleased we have somewhere to go now.

It would have been a better experience not to have to be told where to look. There could have been some more obvious references in that regard.

I shall be re-doubling my efforts. You just know that whoever finds this first is going to go down in Elite history.. :)

Last edited:
I have several more hours before I get home. Can't wait to start searching once more.

I don't have cargo space on my DBX though, I'll not be able to take anything with me if I, however unlikely, find a barnacle.

Anyone have a search strategy recommendation?

5 to 9 Km off the deck, eyeballs only ignore POI's throttle to max & probably round the dark side see if I can spot a "Glow"....... That's my plan any way ! o7

To be honest we should spread out and search every single planet in every system we can land on within that nebula, if we do this properly we should be able to find it within 24 hours

OK practical question on searching.

When looking for "placed" POI on a planet what is the best methodology ? What altitude and ship attitude will give us the best coverage & yet visual chance to see something ?

Super Cruise ? nah... Orbital Cruise ? (See below 800km Alt ) or just before the drop ? Or are we still thinking normal flight ?

Altitude.jpg

Basicly when is it reasonable to assume we could make out a placed POI like we can a surface based outpost ?

Your views, thoughts, experience welcome. 07

This has probably been suggested so forgive me if it has, i'm new to this thread.

In the spirit of 'begginers mind'.

Barnacles grow on rocks, so have you tried planetary rings and asteroid belts? In particular around planets with no atmosphere?

Very entertaining thread, good luck commanders!

This has probably been suggested so forgive me if it has, i'm new to this thread.

In the spirit of 'begginers mind'.

Barnacles grow on rocks, so have you tried planetary rings and asteroid belts? In particular around planets with no atmosphere?

Very entertaining thread, good luck commanders!

I went mining in the Pleades including ice rings and rock rings .. and never found anything.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom